This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

forklift problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: forklift problems
    Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 9:47pm
I just got a fl 50 24 ps forklift it starts and hydrolics run but doesn't drive I need tranny info please help if you can
Sponsored Links

samuel View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 4:34pm
does any body know about these?
tonysac View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonysac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2014 at 5:59pm
how about my 840 payloader has a pressure relief valve that puts trans in neutral when brake is pressed.I think forklifts have that too on some of them ,mounts on brake linkage???
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2014 at 7:41pm
The transmission disconnect-on-brake-pedal is called an INCHING control.

To understand it fully, here's a little history:

Early equipment was frequently built using truck and agricultural engines, transmissions, and clutches. As time went by, manufacturers determined that the frequent direction changing, starting, and stopping required a different philosophical approach, in substantial part to the fact that such operation put a substantial amount of wear and tear on clutches, brakes and gears.

The FIRST major improvement for forklifts and loaders were to be set up with 'shuttle shift' direction control... meaning, when you moved the direction shifter, it was a straight line from forward to reverse. Stab clutch, slap lever other way, release clutch. Another improvement- integrate the clutches into the forward-neutral-reverse shifter, so no clutch-stabbing required. Next, was to set up the machine with brakes that could be modulated while approaching a load or dump point, then held to maintain position while loading or dumping.

NEXT... these machines are hydraulic... which means, the engine drove a pump which operated the lift, tilt, dumping cylinders. That means that while you're sitting still, engine idling, you're waiting for the pump to pump oil. Solution, is to stab the throttle to run the forks or boom up, tilt the bucket, or whatever. What you DIDN'T want to do, is blast off for mars while doing that gas-pedal stab, SO... you'd shift to neutral, hold the brake, and stab the gas.

Next improvement... incorporate a gadget that declutched the driveline while foot planted on brake, so you could rev engine to lift, tilt, curl, whatever, and then 'inch' forward by simply lifting foot off the brake.

Basically, every modern forklift, loader, and material handing machine has an inching control. USUALLY, that's built into one, or both brake pedals. Forklifts frequently have one brake, and one INCHING brake. You'll use the INCHING brake like it's a clutch... push it in to stop and hold, then ease up to creep forward or back. If you're on a hill, and need to go up the incline from a dead stop, put one foot on inching brake, and plant it. Put other foot on brake-only brake. Release inching pedal, step on gas, then ease up on the brake... it'll climb the hill. IF you do this with just the inching pedal, you might find that depressing the inching pedal slightly will allow the truck to roll backwards before you develop enough engine push to shove you (and whatever's on the forks) up that slope.

My Hyster H50H has the inching control integrated into the brake pedal. The H50H's transmission consists of a torque converter driving a dual-planetary reduction that yields forward or reverse by virtue of multi-disk clutch 'brakes' on the planetaries... the inching control limits servo pressure to each of the brakes, so in effect, you've got 'clutch' control and brake control in a 'blended' control of that footpedal. Push pedal down hard, you'll have full brakes, and no thrust. As you ease up, thrust comes up, brakes drop off, and eventually, you'll have full thrust... all while keeping the throttle mashed to the floor. If you've ever driven a forklift with a Ford 172 or 192 Industrial four cylinder, you'll understand why the throttle is mashed to the floor.

My Clark IT-60, about a decade older, has a separate inching pedal, not integrated into the brake pedal. The IT-60's inching pedal basically just dumps a torque converter. Admittedly, the Clark does it with a very minimum of... well... finesse. It's like... putting a Buick Station Wagon in neutral, throttling up to about 2500rpm, and bumping the shifter between D and R... but instead of being 4300lbs, you're 18,500lbs.

Any more questions?
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2014 at 7:42pm
Oh, and Sam- I don't know the AC forklifts at all, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was some park-brake override that... if the park brake is set, it isn't going to move...
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
samuel View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 5:16pm
I pulled the tranny, and the conection plate between the tourk converter and the fly wheel is busted so there is no linkage between the two. there was nuts welded to the conveter housing that brohe loose and eventually all the bolts that go into the fly wheel broke out of the plate. I am not quite sure where to start.
Mrgoodwrench View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 6:00pm
sounds like you need a flywheel and a converter...that may be a tall order as the ac parts are drying up very fast. the current parent company is komatsu so if there is a komatsu forklift dealer in your area give them a call. if not pm me the cat dealer I work for was a ac material handling dealer. my parts guys wont like it but I can have them check to see whats still out there. komatsu has been "killing" the brand off for the last few years. I think you should be able to get a reman converter but I'm not sure about the flywheel.trying to find used forklift parts is next to impossible. let me know if you need my help
There are 3 ways to do job GOOD, FAST, CHEAP. YOU MAY CHOOSE 2. If its FAST & CHEAP it won't be GOOD, if it's GOOD & CHEAP it won't be FAST, and if its GOOD & FAST it won't be CHEAP!!!!
samuel View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2014 at 11:17am
I need to get a flex plate for sure any info would help
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2014 at 5:48pm
I'll need a model and serial number to find anything out
There are 3 ways to do job GOOD, FAST, CHEAP. YOU MAY CHOOSE 2. If its FAST & CHEAP it won't be GOOD, if it's GOOD & CHEAP it won't be FAST, and if its GOOD & FAST it won't be CHEAP!!!!
samuel View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2014 at 9:29pm
model: fl 50 24 ps
sn:17210516
thanks I also will need a torque converter
appreciate the help
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 6:14pm
I gave your info to parts today. I should have more info tomorrow but it looks like there is a good chance that everything youneed is still available. they said shouldn't be too pricy either. the converter is not available new but should be able to get a reman, which would mean you would have to send a core back(assuming shgipping wasn't more than the core charge) i'll get parts prices and if you like them you can call us and see about shipping to montana
samuel View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 9:54pm
cool thank you
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2014 at 8:12pm
Looks like the flex plate and reinforcement will run you about $30 a piece, still waiting to hear about the torque converter. Bolts are 3/8-24x1/2" so you can source those yourself
samuel View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2014 at 9:38pm
so far so good ha ha thanks alot
mike74 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 11:36pm
i also have an allis chalmers forklift    model: FL50-24PS
                                           serial # 17210510
can you tell me what motor this is? i need to get parts, have coolant in the oil.
mike74 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 11:40pm
i also have an allis chalmers forklift model FL50-24PS
                                       serial # 17210510
can you tell me what motor this is & where i can get parts?
it has coolant in the oil.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 4:44pm
OK Sam bad news the torque conv. Is NLA we can get yours rebuilt for about $400 but you'd have to send it here. I'd check near you for a tranny reman place that could help you. Another option may be to have the nuts welded back onto your converter if the housing wasn't torn. I'll pm you part numbers and contact info incasecyou want the other parts
wesleygerald View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wesleygerald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 1:48am

I will also say that Komatsu forklift will help you in dealing with flywheel and a converter problem well..One of my colleague using it and he had a great experience with it.

Edited by wesleygerald - 01 May 2014 at 1:52am
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 6:51am
spammer reported.
samuel View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 9:49am
got the converter rebuilt she should be runnin today - hopefully
Eventide View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eventide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2015 at 8:14am
I'm looking for an owners manual or parts manual for an AC Forklift model  F 50-24 PS  Serial No. 29121000. Is there a .pdf available online anywhere?

Thanks.

Craig-
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic