This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FORD TWIN I BEAM ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FORD TWIN I BEAM ??
    Posted: 19 Jun 2022 at 7:00pm
Brought this up today to a retired  "jack of all trades" with ASCI  certifications that recalls the "abomination" of Fords "BETTER IDEA"Clap !!  When did Ford catch up with the other guys EmbarrassedClap ???
Sponsored Links

FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2022 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

Brought this up today to a retired  "jack of all trades" with ASCI  certifications that recalls the "abomination" of Fords "BETTER IDEA" Clap !!  When did Ford catch up with the other guys and dump the system EmbarrassedClap ???
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2022 at 7:33pm
Your "jack of all trades", is really just a JACK HOLE.....

Twin I beams worked GREAT.. Heavy duty .. Good field trucks.... A step up from the STRAIGHT AXLE on the BIG TRUCKS.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2022 at 7:50pm
My Dad had four Ford twin-I-beam trucks over his years on the farm. I myself have had four. There was zero $$$$$ ever spent on any of those front ends. I have had two newer F-150's that were more conventional front suspensions and I have had to replace lower ball joints on both of those. This much I have learned: For the first say 70 or 80K miles, it is prudent to turn the front tires inside out to wear them out evenly. As the front coil springs settle with age, this issue just simply goes away. All of these eight trucks I am referring to got 150K or more miles on each one with zero $$$$ ever spent and not one single front end alignment. Believe what you want ( I know you will) but that system worked just fine but did have design limits positioning the engine in its engine bay.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2022 at 7:56pm
the I BEAMS swing thru an arc, so the CASTER, CAMBER and TOE IN and not Constant.. You set them up to run down the road with a specific load and they do great... AS you LIFT the tire up off the ground or add 1000 pounds to the front end, the alignment changes and that finally ended the design..

As Dr said, they were very CHEAP to produce, STRONGER than A frames, never needed parts or alignment ......... made for heavy duty trucks.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2022 at 8:26pm
I'm reading a book about Henry Ford, right now...

Its an auto-biography!Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2022 at 8:47pm
[QUOTE=DiyDave]I'm reading a book about Henry Ford, right now...

[/QUOTE
I watched a History Channel segment on him, Hitler comes to mind Cry
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2022 at 9:01pm

[QUOTE=DiyDave]I'm reading a book about Henry Ford, right now...

[/QUOTE
I watched a History Channel segment on him, Hitler comes to mind Cry

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2022 at 9:31pm
Hitler murdered 6 million Jews. Henry sure didn't. 
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2022 at 9:32pm

Brought this up today to a retired  "jack of all trades" with ASCI  certifications that recalls the "abomination" of Fords "BETTER IDEA"Clap !!  When did Ford catch up with the other guys 
alt="Embarrassed" title="Embarrassed" />Clap ???

They surpassed the other guys in 1965.
Remember a truck was still a tool back then. Oh and let’s not forget the ole coil spring rears.
A 60’s -80’s GM truck was very similar to a car.
Not the best choice for chasing coyotes.
The movie Mr. Majestic was a real tribute to the ole twin IBeams
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2022 at 9:50pm
When did Ford catch up with the other guys  LOL   LOL   LOL

Edited by steve(ill) - 19 Jun 2022 at 10:06pm
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 4:37am
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

Brought this up today to a retired  "jack of all trades" with ASCI  certifications that recalls the "abomination" of Fords "BETTER IDEA"Clap !!  When did Ford catch up with the other guys 
alt="Embarrassed" title="Embarrassed" />Clap ???

They surpassed the other guys in 1965.
Remember a truck was still a tool back then. Oh and let’s not forget the ole coil spring rears.
A 60’s -80’s GM truck was very similar to a car.
Not the best choice for chasing coyotes.
The movie Mr. Majestic was a real tribute to the ole twin IBeams

Did I hear a request?

DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 6:03am
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

No, but at first he was ok with it which is just as bad. 

Henry had a thing against Jewish bankers. He figured they would ruin everything. Its is part of the reason the Ford Motor Company is set up the way it is. Controlling interest always remains within the Ford family.
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 6:25am
re: Controlling interest always remains within the Ford family.

Well THAT is a SMART move !!!!
Too bad others including our governments don't do the same!!
for starts, if they did NO way gas would be $5-7-$10 a gallon
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 6:31am
Henry Ford may have been ahead of his time.
‘Jewish Bankers’ as some have called them, underwrote(that is provided the money for) the German war machine.
As well as funded the Russian, and Chinese Revolutions. Judaism has a problem, but that’s a different topic that is deep and ingrained, let’s get back to the I-beam.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 6:36am
I used to bend those for camber correction. Later versions you couldn't. Changed a lot of king pin bushings. Still have the reamers. Real PITA if the king pin was froze up in the I-beam. Radius arm bushings and tie rods were about the only thing that was a real wear issue. Gear box slop was another thing. Some adjustment but not much. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 6:39am
Originally posted by Lars(wi) Lars(wi) wrote:

Henry Ford may have been ahead of his time.
‘Jewish Bankers’ as some have called them, underwrote(that is provided the money for) the German war machine.
As well as funded the Russian, and Chinese Revolutions. Judaism has a problem, but that’s a different topic that is deep and ingrained, let’s get back to the I-beam.

I agree 100% LOL.  Henry maybe had his share of problems, however you cant take away the good he did for the automotive industry. 

Back to the twin I beam. I too have only seen them on HD trucks and for what they were, they were not all that bad. Given enough bullets, you can shoot holes in the best of suspensions. Working for a KW dealer, we have seen our share of "bad ideas" when it comes to suspensions. Chalmers, which is made in Canada, seems to be every ones go to for a HD semi truck suspension because they go a long time with out having to be rebushed. With that said, they ride like a tank and allow for very little axle oscillation 
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 6:43am

Brought this up today to a retired  "jack of all trades" with ASCI  certifications that recalls the "abomination" of Fords "BETTER IDEA"Clap !!  When did Ford catch up with the other guys EmbarrassedClap ???

You mean ASE don't you or is it a new language I don't know about?
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 7:11am
Originally posted by fixer1958 fixer1958 wrote:

I used to bend those for camber correction. Later versions you couldn't. Changed a lot of king pin bushings. Still have the reamers. Real PITA if the king pin was froze up in the I-beam. Radius arm bushings and tie rods were about the only thing that was a real wear issue. Gear box slop was another thing. Some adjustment but not much. 

Yes those king pins could be a real pita.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 7:25am

He doesn't know what he means.
NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 7:37am
Originally posted by DonDittmar DonDittmar wrote:

Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

No, but at first he was ok with it which is just as bad. 

Henry had a thing against Jewish bankers. He figured they would ruin everything. Its is part of the reason the Ford Motor Company is set up the way it is. Controlling interest always remains within the Ford family.

Americans did not find out about the final solution till the end of the war, I find it very hard to believe at that time Henry was ok with it.
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 8:30am
To keep those from eating tires only required Shocks replaced as soon as signs of fatigue failure and the Radius arm bushings under the cab, all minor repairs.  NOT Once did I see a maintained Twin I need kingpins.  For also used that on FWD trucks with the TTB Front end, rode better than GM or Chrysler FWDs as had Coil Front Suspension, again shocks and radius arm bushings normal wear items, ball joints would take a beating on commercial usage but so too on any of the Solid DANA Series axles.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 10:43am
Speaking of Henry the shyster, He went bankrupt with others money quite a few times. 
 Formed Detroit Automobile in 1899 and it was dissolved 18 months later.
 In 1901 he was Chief engineer of Henry Ford Co.  4 months later the company sold in receivership to Henry Leland, who renamed it Cadillac Motor Co.  
 Late in 1902 He formed Ford & Malcomson LTD which failed when The Dodge Brother demanded payment for goods and services.
 Reorganized as FoMoCo in 1903 with money of 12 others.
 Proved he was dishonest in the late 40 when he went back on his word with Harry Ferguson for patent royalties for use of the 3pt hitch "Ferguson System" Finally lost that battle in court and never ever fully paid off.
  Yes he raised the working wage for his employees, however he force all those working for him to live in his Company towns and adhere to his rules of conduct. Anyone that works with unionizers was fired, until the union finally got in after the riots and murders.  
  Not really one of America's model citizens, more of a tyrant. 

Edited by PaulB - 20 Jun 2022 at 10:43am
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 10:48am
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

He doesn't know what he means.

I have to read more tech mags I suppose.

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 11:07am
One more I, and you get American Standard Code for Informational Interchange.  Which we all use everydayBig smile
Darwin W. Kurtz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darwin W. Kurtz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 12:22pm
I have a Ram 1500 with over 300,000 miles and only recently had to spend anything on rebuilding the front end. Overall, the Dodge components have held up longer than Ford did when we were still driving Fords. I know if you sell a Ford on a farm auction anywhere around here, they will sell at a big discount to a Silverado and a Dodge will sell better too
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

Speaking of Henry the shyster, He went bankrupt with others money quite a few times. 
 Formed Detroit Automobile in 1899 and it was dissolved 18 months later.
 In 1901 he was Chief engineer of Henry Ford Co.  4 months later the company sold in receivership to Henry Leland, who renamed it Cadillac Motor Co.  
 Late in 1902 He formed Ford & Malcomson LTD which failed when The Dodge Brother demanded payment for goods and services.
 Reorganized as FoMoCo in 1903 with money of 12 others.
 Proved he was dishonest in the late 40 when he went back on his word with Harry Ferguson for patent royalties for use of the 3pt hitch "Ferguson System" Finally lost that battle in court and never ever fully paid off.
  Yes he raised the working wage for his employees, however he force all those working for him to live in his Company towns and adhere to his rules of conduct. Anyone that works with unionizers was fired, until the union finally got in after the riots and murders.  
  Not really one of America's model citizens, more of a tyrant. 

How many times has General Motors declared bankruptcy?
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 1:55pm
No automotive company out there, both then and now, care about you more than they care about their bottom line. 

To call one man a shyster is not fair when they ALL are. 

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Dorix View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dorix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 3:21pm
Henry Ford had his good and bad qualities, but to watch a history channel segment and have Hitler come to mind is a lack of knowledge concerning both. As for the twin I beam I didn't have one but I had friends who did, I didn't think they were that bad for what they were.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 3:56pm
Look up the history of CHEVY and General Motors formation if you want to see a REAL CLUSTER FK.... Henry was a BUSINESSMAN of the time.. NO different than Kennedy, Carnegie, Rockefeller, Morgan, Hurst, Durant, Westinghouse or any of the other 100 guys that BUILT AMERICA.

Edited by steve(ill) - 20 Jun 2022 at 3:59pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic