This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ford ranger 4 wheel drive

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobkyllo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ford ranger 4 wheel drive
    Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 7:50am
Yesterday's victim was a 1999 Ford ranger 4x4 4.0. Liter. Customer said 4 when drive doesn't work. Put it on the hoist and he was right. Everything up to the front hubs work though, so that was a relief. Found the vacuum hoses at the wheels to be rotten. Fixed that. Long story short I found the vacuum valve it does have vacuum to it. I took a hose from there to each wheel directly. Neither hub works at all. So he would have 2 bad vacuum hubs. I see where you can trade them out for the old mechanical lock in style. Have any of you guys done this
Sponsored Links

bikley View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 7:53am
don't trust vacuum ones I switched to manual years ago
Darwin W. Kurtz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darwin W. Kurtz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 7:56am
I had an older mechanic friend that had a shop in his back yard. He knew how to do what you are talking about. We did that on a 96 F-150 full sized 4 wheel drive. Not as convenient as the electronics but in my book a lot less to go wrong and 4 wheel drive worked and was a cheaper fix
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 8:02am

I also would like to know how to do this to my 2000 F150 as it will sometimes work good and others,,,when you really need them to work will not lock up,,PFFFftttt,,,
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 8:16am
BEST hubs I ever had on any 4x4 were Warn 'lock-o-matic' on my '57 Willys pickup. When Warn couldn't repair them, they sent me a set of 'regular' hubs for free.
I'm wondering is water/ice got into the vacuum hubs ??
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 8:31am
The RAnger in the 1997- 2001 era used a vacuum system outboard on the hub. They can be removed and replaced with a MANUAL lock as Bob said.. I  have not done that.

On the F150, prior to 1998 i think you can do something similar as above.

From 1998- 2003 the F150 had the front axles LOCKED to the hubs.. There is a vacuum engagement at the differential to lock the axle to the driveshaft.. You could use a PULL / PUSH cable to do this.. I have not seen a "KIT".

After 2004 the F150 used an INTERNAL vacuum piston on each front wheel.. No access from the outside.. It is on the BACKSIDE of the hub by the brake disk. Problems with it is the seals and o-rings get hard / stuck due to water / salt / crud ... The have to be disassembled and all rubbers replaced, or just replace the entire assemble.. I dont know of any "kit" to replace the vacuum with manual.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 11:03pm
we put manual locking hubs on a 99 f350 about two mounths ago that had the vacuumm hubs wasnt aanything worked on it  just pull the old ones off and put new manual ones on
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 6:51am
Isn't it ironic that the way to fix this new technology is to remove the new-fangled contraptions and replace them with tried and true components. We'd all be better off if the automakers would fire all of the engineers that justify their existence by designing stuff so complicated that it breaks down and can't be repaired, just replaced. Why do you think a P/U cost 10+ times or more than what they used to. For the most part all the gimmicks and gadgets on new vehicles are not needed.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 8:31am
The truck he is working on is 23 years old.... Even with the old LOCKING HUBS, you had to do some maintenace... I remember pulling them apart to clean and regrease ever so often. ......... ONE rebuild in 23 years is not too bad.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 9:13am
we did a 2016 ford last year all the vaccumm hoses were broke cracked and rotton thanks to that crapppy chinise rubber
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 10:39am
People don't want to have to get out of their truck to engage the hubs...
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 10:45am
I didn't have to with my 'lock-o-matics'....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic