This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FORD and WW II

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FORD and WW II
    Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 6:43pm
Came in today at noon and there was the Manufacturing History of the US during WW II on TV....  FORD opened a factory in Willow Run, Ypsilanta MIchigan , to build B24 bombers for the US Military.. There were several "builders" of that particular plane.. FORD son EDSEL was the manager of the plant. He changed the procedure to assemble B24 to an "assembly line" type like the automotives had been done... FORD ended up building a bomber every 1 hour toward the end of the war..  Picture showed over 30 planes in the assembly area at one time.. Guess they built about 9,000 of the 18,000 total B24 bombers over a 3-4 year period. He hired a lot of women ( about 50%) and the repeating  work of the assembly line was perfect for someone with less mechanical ability.

Very Interesting.......... after the war FORD sold the plant to Keiser / Jeep who used it for 30 years... Then they sold it to GM to build their 4 speed Auto Transmissions... Plant finally closed about 2014.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Sponsored Links

john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 7:52pm
I haven't been there in a few years, and they've had a fire since then as well.  The Yankee Air Force is based at Willow Run.  They have an outstanding collection of airplanes and memorabilia.  I had never realized what a fine looking woman, Amelia Earnheart was until I saw photos of her there.  I also got to get into the cockpit of a B52 on one visit.  If you ever get the chance to get to the Detroit area, try and plan a visit there. 
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
weiner43 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weiner43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 8:10pm
Back in about 1950 my dad bought a 26-27 Model T truck with a flat bed with racks. He fixed it all up and when he died in 1970 the truck sat in the basement of Harris Milling Co in Cadillac for years. The family finally sold it and that truck ended up in Henry Ford`s Museum.
God bless our troops and the United States of America.

Pick your rut well, you may be in it a long time.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 8:15pm
that’s interesting.
We have an old Ford built army jeep laying in the yard.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 8:17pm
Did they mention that Henry Cheapskate Ford insisted on ever part they made have the FROG logo on every part they produced to avoid being charge for warranty on failed parts that they didn't make. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

Did they mention that Henry Cheapskate Ford insisted on ever part they made have the FROG logo on every part they produced to avoid being charge for warranty on failed parts that they didn't make. 

What’s wrong with that?
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 9:34pm
Ford along with all of the Auto manufacturers built the Arsenal of Democracy. Ford built Gliders,Jeeps, Pratt and Whitney Aircraft Engines and V8 Tank Engines along with B24 Bombers and Curtis Helldiver Navy Dive Bombers. GMC built Trucks,Chevy built Trucks,Buick built Tank Destroyers. Olds built Anti Tank guns and Cannons. Pontiac built Tank differentials,Cadillac built M5 Tanks and LVT tractors for the Marines,Allison built Aircraft Engines,Frigidaire built 50 cal machine guns.Saginaw Gear and Inland Steel built M1 Carbines,Chrysler built M4 Sherman Tanks,Dodge built Trucks. There was a War to be fought and America was unprepared! Everyone worked! As one German General said" The Americans massed produced us to death "!

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 10:29pm
they musta had to build a airport runway to get them planes out away from the factory?
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 10:33pm
Yes Shameless Ford did and it's still there but some of the factory is gone.

Edited by klinemar - 05 Jul 2021 at 10:33pm
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 10:38pm
I didn't include Packard. They made V12 PT Boat engines and Packard Merlin V12 P51 engines. 75% of Studebaker Trucks went to Russia and most Russian Military Trucks today look like Studebaker's !
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 2:30am
Interesting reading !
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 6:42am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

they musta had to build a airport runway to get them planes out away from the factory?

The runways are a large square with an X in the middle.  Had they wanted they could probably have three or four airplanes taking off at once.  It's cargo and private airplanes now.  We, the NWS, still have an active ASOS(Automatic Surface Observation System) on the airport. 

The building is ginormous.  You needed a mode of transportation to go from one end to another.  My friend that worked there when it was HydroMatic told me some good stories.  The one that stuck with me was the older workers having the large shipping containers converted into apartments.  They just clocked in and went to their apartment for their shift.  The dream jobs of the UAW!
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 1:13pm
  Them Ford built Jeep had a 6 cylinder engine and independent wheel suspenien and were fast. Would like to have one of them.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 3:12pm
I read a story once that the planes took off from Willow Run for their "TEST FLIGHT", before returning, then sent to the military... The "TESTING" got to the point that there were few problems and toward the end, the pilot took off for the "TEST" and landed at the Military base with their "NEW" Aircraft.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 3:18pm
I don’t think our Ford Jeep is 6cld or independent suspension.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 3:45pm
BANTAM got the original contract for the Military Vehicle... FORD built a prototype with the 4 cyl 8N motor.. It was a dud....  BANTAM, WILLYS and FORD were all given contracts to build about 2000 vehicles each around 1940 .... Next year the Military wanted 600,000. BANTAM got the "design", but could not build the numbers.  Willys and and FORD were give the BANTAM design sheets and told to build that vehicle.. Each made about 300,000 "JEEPS" for the military.. FORD bought  4 cyl engines from Willys for their "JEEP".

The GOVT actually picked the best features from each vehicle and combined into one.. Then the GOVT took out a PATENT for "THEIR" design as THEIR vehicle.

Edited by steve(ill) - 06 Jul 2021 at 4:10pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 4:02pm
This all worked because there were 3rd party Manufactures who built the front axle, rear axle, wheels and tires, transmission, transfer case..... If you were FORD or WILLYS , all you had to do was build the frame, body and fenders then bolt it all together.. Your "parts" didnt really have to be identical to the other manufacturer, as long as all the mounting holes were in the same place.

the "original" BANTAM Jeep was based on a car that they made. Used the frame , fenders, hood, grill , radiator,  motor, drive train, with a "convertible steel body" as they called it... I think it was originally the British Austin which in the US was American Austin, which bankrupt became American Bantan ? ...... They had the Engineering to design and make dozen prototypes faster than Willys or FORD, but didnt have the manufacturing capability to back it up.

Edited by steve(ill) - 06 Jul 2021 at 4:10pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 4:17pm
"MOST" of the US Military "JEEPS" in the US were the final combination of WILLYS and FORD manufacturing... all the "original Prototypes" and first couple months of manufacturing  ( 50,000) were all sent to RUSSIA who needed manned vehicles at the time.  Very few of the "test" units , if any, remained in the USA.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 5:45pm
My Uncle who was a teenager during WW2 told of seeing B24 Bombers from Willow Run fly over on test flights with motors backfiring. They would turn and head back towards Willow Run about 80 miles away.He said they must have made it because he never heard of any crashing. Story a man told me of his father who was in the 82nd Airborne Glider Troops. Just before D Day their Glider Pilot got sick. Officers came to his Father and said your the new pilot! His Dad told the Officers" I don't know how to fly a plane"! The Officer said"In your records it shows you worked at Willow Run"! His Dad said " I installed Hydraulic Lines, I didn't fly the planes"! Officer said your the new pilot! He trained very quickly and survived!
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 5:54pm
The Willys I had, I believe 52, had a 4 cyl Ford engine.   That woulda been at the Korean War time so who knows who was building what by then.  I wish I coulda got that project to the shop!
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 8:58pm
CJ series Jeeps had 6 cylinder engines. I only know my son had a CJ6 and it had a 6 cylinder.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 9:51pm
The WILLYS  4 cylinder was used thru the war and after till about 1950.. It was then modified to an overhead valve version and continued till about 1965.  They bought the rights to use a Buick V6 in the JEEP for 5-6 years  (CJ5) ... Around 1970 JEEP was bought by AMC and they put the straight 6 in the CJ5-6.

There was never a FORD engine in the JEEP.. from the factory.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by klinemar klinemar wrote:

Ford along with all of the Auto manufacturers built the Arsenal of Democracy. Ford built Gliders,Jeeps, Pratt and Whitney Aircraft Engines and V8 Tank Engines along with B24 Bombers and Curtis Helldiver Navy Dive Bombers. GMC built Trucks,Chevy built Trucks,Buick built Tank Destroyers. Olds built Anti Tank guns and Cannons. Pontiac built Tank differentials,Cadillac built M5 Tanks and LVT tractors for the Marines,Allison built Aircraft Engines,Frigidaire built 50 cal machine guns.Saginaw Gear and Inland Steel built M1 Carbines,Chrysler built M4 Sherman Tanks,Dodge built Trucks. There was a War to be fought and America was unprepared! Everyone worked! As one German General said" The Americans massed produced us to death "!

That is exactly how the USofA won the war. The US not only supplied ourselves with war material, but a lot of production went to Allied countries.

FYI, H J Heinz, of pickle and ketchup fame produced glider wings
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 10:29pm
One last thought on JEEP, back in the late 50's, 60's, every comic book I read, had an add in the back, Army surplus JEEPs, (i think it was $50). Dad told of working with a couple of guys that bit on that add. As the story goes, they had to go the the train depot and pick them up. What they received, was pallets of parts, but not enough to assemble even one running vehicle, let alone two.
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 10:39pm
last year we worked on a ether a 42 or 46 one of those years their wasnt production model cars dont remember but a jeep 3a,        the brass tag  had the serial number and made by ford motor company and this one was all orinanal and not restored , the old guy that owns it bought it new at an surplus auction in the late 50s , we had it there to adjust the brakes and repair the exhuast and muffler
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 10:39pm
sorry modal 2a
Joe(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 12:32pm
Ford built the M151 and M151A1 during the Vietnam era.  They have a 4 cylinder in them but do have a fully independent rear suspension.  
Life is simpler when you plow around the stump.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 8:36am
  They are hard to find because about all were cut in half before being junked
NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 9:31am
Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

Cheapskate????   The man gave his workers a raise to 5.00 hr, it was unheard of at the time.

Your hard on for Ford is unhealthy.
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 6:16pm
Henry Ford was a very controversial man! Especially in how he treated his own son and the Gangster Bennett he hired who almost stole the company away! Had Edsel Ford's wife,Henry's wife and Henry Ford the 2nd not confronted Old Henry and threatened to sell their combined shares of Ford Motor forcing the Company to go Public if Henry didn't fire Bennett he would have stole the company. Bennett was in charge of the Ford Police who beat hell out of workers and Union Organizers. All of this with Henry's blessing. He also didn't want Willow Run built for Bomber Production but Edsel went past him to the Government to prevent them from taking over Ford for war Production as Henry and Roosevelt hated one another.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic