This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ford 5.4 Spark plug ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ford 5.4 Spark plug ??
    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 6:34pm
I will be attempting a plug change on my engine tomorrow Confused . After what I am sure to be a "snap-off" of multiple plugs, should I put ANTI-SEIZE on the threads of the new plugs ??
Sponsored Links

Dnoym N. S. Can. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dnoym N. S. Can. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 6:51pm

no ANTI-SEIZE !
it`s not the tread that give you the most trouble
once i start the plug then i put a little penetrating oil
down the hole and leave it for a minute .

HTH   B:)                 Dnoym
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 6:58pm
the motors from 1997 to 2004 had not probles,.. With the 3 valve head from 2005- 2008 FORD use a plug made in 2 pieces. Several have BROKEN in half during removal.  If it breaks off you need a tool to extract the thread portion below the hex. The new plugs will be one piece and not a problem to reinstall.  If your motor is 2009- 2011, you should not have the problem.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

the motors from 1997 to 2004 had not probles,.. With the 3 valve head from 2005- 2008 FORD use a plug made in 2 pieces. Several have BROKEN in half during removal.  If it breaks off you need a tool to extract the thread portion below the hex. The new plugs will be one piece and not a problem to reinstall.  If your motor is 2009- 2011, you should not have the problem.
My personal application IS an '05 Cry. The gentleman that is helping me happens to have the extraction tool. Thank you both for the advise !!
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 7:31pm
Sometimes it helps to loosen the plug 1/4 turn, then spray penetrant into the hole and let it soak for 30 minutes...MIGHT help, might not.. You might break some off and need the tool if they are original plugs. If they have been changed, then no problmes.. You should use MOTORCRAFT plugs on reinstall... no other brands... the 5.4 is a very picky motor..... after you remove the coil and wire, blow out the hole with an air compressor. Get rid of any oil / dirt/ trash buildup.. You don't want that dropping into the hole. I do use a spot of antisieze on the new plugs.. not much... aluminum head so torque is not like the old cast iron head.... make sure the wire and coil are pushed down tight and sealed good on reinstall... make sure the electrical plug on coil is clean and then connected tight.

Edited by steve(ill) - 25 Oct 2019 at 7:33pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

Sometimes it helps to loosen the plug 1/4 turn, then spray penetrant into the hole and let it soak for 30 minutes...MIGHT help, might not.. You might break some off and need the tool if they are original plugs. If they have been changed, then no problmes.. You should use MOTORCRAFT plugs on reinstall... no other brands... the 5.4 is a very picky motor..... after you remove the coil and wire, blow out the hole with an air compressor. Get rid of any oil / dirt/ trash buildup.. You don't want that dropping into the hole. I do use a spot of antisieze on the new plugs.. not much... aluminum head so torque is not like the old cast iron head.... make sure the wire and coil are pushed down tight and sealed good on reinstall... make sure the electrical plug on coil is clean and then connected tight.
I just received my Amazon order for plug/coil boot combo for $110. Genuine Motorcraft plugs. Strange looking creatures though Wink
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2019 at 6:55am
I've had really good luck running an induction cleaner through it first. I use Wynn's but am told Seafoamin in an aerosol can works about as well. Run the whole can through it and load it up when you are about done and shut it off and let it sit for several hours or overnight.
The plugs stick at the end below the threads. The induction cleaner helps remove some of the crud and frees it up.
I have used a 3/8 impact too on a low setting and just thump the plug a little to get it loose.
I was breaking them off on the first few I did and found this way to do it and haven't broken any since. I don't use anti seize. A little dielectric in the plug boot is as far as it goes.
Getting out broken plugs is a PITA I don't care how much it pays. Doing it 15-20k before scheduled time helps a lot too.
1955CA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2019 at 7:41am
Old thread, but another thing I can add.....run it hard and get it hot before you attempt to remove. It's sucks working over a hot engine but they come out better hot.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2019 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by 1955CA 1955CA wrote:

Old thread, but another thing I can add.....run it hard and get it hot before you attempt to remove. It's sucks working over a hot engine but they come out better hot.

That's EXACTLY how it was done LOL!! Sadly, I have developed "ignition noise" on my portable job site radio (DeWalt) that wasn't there before Confused
1955CA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2019 at 5:44pm
Probably because it has current running through it now! LOL

I gotta do mine again too. I had a coil pack go out on me. Could have just been the coil pack but they do say bad plugs cause their failure.

330,000 KM/205,052 Miles on it so far and knock on wood, no cam phazer or any other issues yet.

I'm walking on egg shells. I have a VW Tiguan with the 2.0 Litre turbo that was know to have a bad timing chain tensioner that grenades the engine, this 5.4 Ford that has troublesome plugs and cam phazers that grenade them and on top of that, I also have an F550 with a 6.0 Powerstroke! LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic