This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Food storage issue here!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Food storage issue here!
    Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 4:43pm
Long story short, I hope.  The wife has been under the weather for about a month, doctoring, with test things, doing somewhat better.  Made some red sauce for the Christmas Dinner, in advance. Just wasn't doing well after that.  Went and took a nap.  Then the oldest son came in, and we went to put it away, in the frig.  NOW the issue!
We have 15 Rubbermaid containers, some square, round, oval, 20 Tupperware containers, with the same problem.  Now are you ready, the lids do not match!!!  We have oval, round, square, rectangular, everything but a match, in the same place in the cabinet????

We did find a few, got it done, and pleased to help out and do it.  She was Thank-full for us doing the clean-up.

Are we the only ones with this issue???

Thanks, Dave   
Sorry had to vent!

Merry Christmas to all!!!

Edited by Dave in PA - 22 Dec 2019 at 4:47pm
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 4:51pm
YEP... should be standard like bolts... 1/4 ...5/16...3/8 ........... maybe you got the METRIC lids ?  Confused
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 5:00pm
I know what you mean exactly!! Dealt with that after the wife died, ended up throwing all them out- got all the same brand , some big some small but nothing real close in size,, that is really aggrivatting!

Edited by DougG - 22 Dec 2019 at 5:42pm
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 6:08pm
freezer bags my be the answer.  Wink
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 6:25pm
Tupperware and Gladware is WORSE than socks for orphaning up. We have gotten to where if a lid breaks or a container has a bad spot, BOTH go to trash and we go after a time Buy replacements. Have used bags, Containers even old Ice Cream buckets, about second or third run thru the freezer something is wrong with them and we do a House Cleaning, any IFFY pieces GONE and start anew. Not liking those days with food in bulk sitting and needing storage mechanisms with none worth a tinker's damn.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 7:14pm
This has been a problem at our house, I guess since we got married over 28 years ago. Never dreamt that it would be a topic of discussion on here! LOL! I suppose that after about 15 years into it, and having saved every "one time use" container, ice cream pails, numerous sets of Tupperware, Rubbermaid and such from gifts to rummage sales to auction sales, I finally had enough! We were so over run by storage containers, that I couldn't match a container to a lid without an ordeal of epic proportions. So finally, one day I told the ole lady I'd had enough. She could pick one brand to keep, and everything else was going to either the trash or a resale shop. So that's what happened. Such a project in vain. Six months later there were more stray dog storage containers showed up than I'd gotten rid of! Must be some kind of a compulsive disorder associated with it. Only way I know how to explain it. Since then I've just succumbed to using ziplock bags. Darrel
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 7:18pm
Have no idea what goes to whch.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 9:13pm
Those lids must change sizes as they age. We have the same problem, we go through and clean out everything and buy new ones with lids that fit and a few months later nothing matches. Mom never had that problem, Cool Whip and margarine containers don't change sizes.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 9:27pm
It's gotten so bad around here that the wife has gone to buying plastic lid covers with elastic in them and doesn't even hunt for the actual lid.  Myself, my food storage problem involves a different hole in the belt and stretch waist pants!
Maximum use of available resources!
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 9:49pm
I bought one of those as seen on TV sets 4 differant size containers on a lazy Susan all use the same lid. Only problem they are not microwave safe. Still have most of them except the couple I melted. We have a whole cabinet full of Tupperware I can never find the lid that fits. My wife dosent help she puts the conatiners in the dishwasher and the lids don't fit so they go in the next load and never become a set again. I realy like the stainless steel storage sets I bought last year the silicon lids fit great and you can put the lids on them and the stack like nesting dolls.

Edited by Dakota Dave - 22 Dec 2019 at 9:55pm
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 10:08pm
I do agree that as I have aged this stuff really irigates me too! We have tons of this junk that doesnt match. Wife saved some ham juice for gravy and had it in a little bowl with a screw on lid. I went to put it on and she said wait there is the little plastic inverted cup liner that goes in first to keep it from leaking! Really we need another lid thing to find and match! It has to stop!:)
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 22 Dec 2019 at 10:09pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 3:47am

Well,,,"By Neccecity",,, I am now the head chef, master cook, expert dishwasher and generally fair cleaner upper around here,,,,,Clap Can't say I have "fixed" all the CF's in the kitchen but I AM making several inroads,,,,Clap ALL,,,and I mean ALL our cabinets and drawers looked like the pic ole posted,,,and nothing matched,,,How in the heck does that happen,,,??
  So,,I promoted ALL of the plastic bowls to garage duty for storing nuts, bolts,  screws and what not and then went to the Dollar Store and got two sets of the SAME brand of bowls with lids,,,,,the lids went into the trash trailer,,,,,,
 Next item I'm workin on is the LIDS for the pots and pans " I USE",,NOT what somebody else USED to use,,!! On one of our trips to Canton, Tx,,I had bought a big wrought iron thingie to hang your pots and pans off the ceiling, So ,,now only the lids that match AND fit the pots and pans are on that hanging thingie. Couldn't figure how to use em in the garage so,,those lids  got "lost". NOW, I got room in one of the drawers to put all my recipes,,,,,,LOL
 There ain't no tellin WHAT'S gonna happen when the wife finds out how I have "Helped Her"  but we just gonna have to find out,,,,,WinkWink
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 6:45am
Hmm...guess we’re the weird ones out. Have 2 sets of Rubbermaid containers from close to 30 years ago and everything still fits.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 6:56am
Just Lucky!!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 7:10am
Lucky......and me.......aren’t two words that go together very often!
Wayne180d View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne180d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 11:36pm
I was always told when you lost a sock the dryer it came back as a non fitting Tupperware lid.  Must be true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 11:57pm
mostly, when you puts them in the dishwasher, the dry cycle doesn't shrink the bowls the same as the lids. the first so many times in there and they'll still fit, then as time goes on...
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 12:00am
Old gal has started using the oval plastic Ice cream buckets. I can't drink milk but can eat icecrean. I usually empty 1 a week.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 4:45pm
Bags are the answer - problem is I found 5 bags I didn't mark and i have no idea now what i saved in them . 
 I find the deli containers at walmart I get cole slaw in work great for storing things in but they don't wash in dishwasher or microwave - so hand wash only - then cooking for self I wash the dishes by hand now anyway - takes a couple minutes - set things on the stove to dry and use them over the next day . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 5:57pm
I found a few Tupperware lids that fit the other day. Couldn't believe it. Only 2 though.
Otherwise I grab the tinfoil if it goes in the fridge. Nothing goes to waste here, someone or something will eat it. Otherwise it is in a freezer bag or vacuum packed and in the freezer.
Saran wrap just pisses me off. Any variation of it.

Edited by fixer1958 - 24 Dec 2019 at 5:58pm
trace View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 7:22pm
remodeling kitchen, all old tuperware, rubbermaid went to the dump. don't do so much cookin ahead anymore so will buy some new for our new lifestyle. 
1955 WD-45 WIDE FRONT W/ TRIP
LOADER
ford8nwd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ford8nwd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2019 at 7:42am
I second the Coolwhip and margerine containers, easy to find the lids, and the price is right.
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2019 at 8:23am
Out main goto is the containers from the local Chinese restaurant. Hold up to microwaving. Don't know about dishwasher, wife won't use it. About the size of an 8" long 2x6. Fit perfectly in my lunch box/cooler. Stack nicely in the fridge. Slightly tapered so they nest inside of each other for storage, so take very little space in the cupboard.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2019 at 8:28am
we recycle milk bags AS freezer bags. GREAT, thick plastic and kinda free... they hold enough beens for 2 meals.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic