This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flex fuel vehicles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flex fuel vehicles
    Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 6:34pm
Was sitting here thinking to myself, self,,,how flexible of fuels can someone run in a ‘flex fuel vehicle’?
Would the car still operate on kerosene? A couple gallons of diesel in a pinch?
What have people tried?
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 6:38pm
The Flex Fuel alternative is listed in Owners manuals.  My 2010 Pimpala "can" run on E85, not well as I have tried but will start and run on it.  Fuel Mileage went from 25mpg(V6) to 14 on E85 and DANGEROUSLY Gutless.  On E15 I drop to 23mpg, current 5-10% Ethanol and manage 25.  On Pure Gas TWO Trips managed 32, station here used to have a pump for Straight Gas(87 octane), Enviro Idiots had it pulled.

Edited by DMiller - 26 Mar 2021 at 6:38pm
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 7:34pm
YEP...."FLEX FUEL" , just means variations in alcohol content to GASOLINE... Not like a modified diesel that will run on diesel, kero, JP, etc...

You try anything else and the COMPUTER will throw a ...chit fit.... and you will get all kind of IDIOT LIGHTS flashing !

Edited by steve(ill) - 26 Mar 2021 at 7:36pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 7:44pm
Could buy a mid sixties to mid 70s duece and half, can burn fuel, varied amounts of fuel with oil, ATF, gear oil and assorted other materials accorded to a List supplied with the Multi Fuel Engines!!!  Do not run well either but will move the trucks!!  We tried it out in 74, NOT GOOD!!
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 8:26pm
The multi fuel trucks ran great on jet fuel. If you wanted your flex fuel to run good you had to run 2 full tanks of E85 thru it without mixing so it could calibrate itself after that any mixture of ethanol would run fine. With the mileage baring depending on amount of ethanol in it.my moms Impala would drop from 30 - 32 down to 28 on E85 at the time E85 was about 1.50 a gallon cheaper
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 5:27am
On my Chevy ran it for two weeks just for that reason to and from work thinking would adjust and be cheaper, NOPE did not happen, that is when tried E15+ same station and lower economy against E10, did the math did NOT compute.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 5:24pm
way back in the 60's had a guy come into station and put 3 gallons of #2 fuel oil into car then top off with regular gas , 12 cents a gallon for #2 and 31.9 for regular gas , said it kept from vapor locking . 
 Now with the flex alcohol fuels don't think diesel or #2 would do much except clog cat converter 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 9:47pm
Speaking of ‘vapor lock’, wasn’t it John Deere 2 bangers that required ‘power fuel’? A blend of #2 fuel oil and leaded gasoline,(maybe 10-15% fuel oil) to prevent summer time vapor lock.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 7:11am
I put some E85 into my flexible fuel ford PU once.  Thought about checking the fuel tank for leaks.  LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic