This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First day wearing glasses

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First day wearing glasses
    Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 11:43am
My first day wearing glasses. My wife made me go to the I doctor and that led to the glasses. I had a piece of steel in my left eye ( my only good eye) a few years back. It took 7 tries to get it out so the I doc says I have scaring. It bothers me to drive in traffic at night. The glasses don’t help at distance but sure help up close. Bifocals. I hope to get used to them. They a pita so far. She first hung that ring on my finger and now this. I’m nervous about what tase she’ll have me toting around?
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 1:22pm
Yeah bifocals are a PITA BUT you will get used to them...except when working  under dashes or upside down or...well...you'll compromise...
I let the 'eyeballs on my fingers' do  a lot these days, close my eyes and work, seems to help...
Last pair I got at Walmart and they are the FIRST pair where my eyes did NOT have to adjust to the glasses ! All the others, spanning 50 years, I was told by the eye doc, 'you'll get used to them'.... balderdash....
I have to take them off to read computer screen, on for microcomputer work, on to drive(though red means stop, yellow...go faster...)

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 1:40pm
Thad, being married like being a kid again... Your "MOM" is constantly telling you what to do, how to act, and how to dress.......... get use to it !!
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 2:38pm
yeah and the longer you're wed the more she wan't to control everything !!
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 3:49pm
2 words to remember now, YES DEAR!!!! lol
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 3:57pm
its called caring about you....be grateful!

I need trifocals, I found progressives a lot quicker to get used to. But, like Jay says, none of them work well if you are working under something, under dash, under sink, etc
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 4:02pm
I am waiting for my wife to get through chemo so I can have my cataracts removed then I will only wear glasses for the bifocals, been wearing them over 50 years so there is no since changing now. Wait till you clean them and think all that dirt would have went in my eyes if the glasses hadn't caught it.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by LouSWPA LouSWPA wrote:

its called caring about you....be grateful!

I need trifocals, I found progressives a lot quicker to get used to. But, like Jay says, none of them work well if you are working under something, under dash, under sink, etc
Lou I like to poke a little fun but honestly I'm quite graetful for Jenn. She is my best friend and has been for over 40 years. These are progressive. They seem ok cept when I'm driving and look up in the trees or up on a hill things get  blurry. At work I was setting deck posts and I was on scaffolding looking down trying to take measurements and it was very blurry. I find my self pushing them to the end of my nose just like reading glasses, I think in a few days they will feel normal.

Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 5:47pm
Being a construction electrician I did a lot of work looking up working over my head. So I found that using what was called Double D lens, when I went to bifocals. They really help.

Dusty

917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
TMiller/NC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMiller/NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 5:51pm
Thad, I wear occupational bi focal, which is a bi focal in bottom and one of same strength in top, middle is for distance, really helps when working over head or I normally look thru the top when welding as the hood is down tighter on collar bone cuts down on flash.  Never tried progressive lens.
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 10:03pm
After wearing contacts for 35 years, I had to switch back to glasses. Also found out I have a cataract in one eye. Will need surgery within next 3-5 years. Ended up getting prescription safety glasses. Transition lenses with progressive trifocals. Took a couple weeks to get used to them. Literally had to learn how to walk again! Driving has taken a little getting used to also, not having my peripheral vision like with contacts. Sure is nice to be able to see again though. Makes seeing when welding so much easier.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 10:35pm
Started wearing glasses about the same time I became a teenager. Some time after 50 the doc thought bifocals were needed. I still read without them and for hard to read parts no. they for sure come off.

Maybe makes more difference to me than some others,but now that I am used to bifocals  keep the second lense in the same place. Even with all the measuring they got it wrong. What difference it made having them move it.

Can be fun to make fun of the better half and all they think we need,but I for sure appreciated mine  when I was more dead than alive and doc want to use my body for science experiment. All I needed was the gallbladder removed that was rotting away,but he had other ideas. She set him straight and told him to stop wasting time.

My problem came to a head July 4th weekend 2 years ago and she told me I was seeing the doctor on Monday. An I said no dear,that is a holiday. The last time I tried to correct herWink and been right.   
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 4:17am

Hey Thad,,,don't let "old Age" get you down and thank Ms Jenn for caring enough bout you to want you to be able to see HER better,,,yea,,that's it,,,!!!. Seriously, I'm bettin you are liking all her attention to you,,,and that is Good,,!!
I been wearin glasses since the 3rd grade and never had a pair that I felt helped me. I've had progressive lenses and always have to take glasses off to see really small stuff up close. Same for trying to work under a dash,,,,,
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 7:39am
I have been wearing progressive bifocals for about 15 years now. Gotta watch it on stairs first week or 2. The frames I have now are very flexible. You can almost wad them up. Can't break them very easily and have endured through the last 3 prescriptions.

Have transition lenses these last 2 times and really like them. Not as good as sunglasses but sure helps. I don't even notice they have changed till I walk back into a dark room and have to wait a second so I don't run into something.
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 7:53am
I've had glasses since freshman year in high school. Also the progressive lenses. In all reality I don't mind as they have protected my eyes many times. Just thankful to be able to see.
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 8:02am
I've been wearing corrective eyeglasses since 1st grade. It's normal to want to fight wearing them. My Dad noticed me struggling with them & gave me the best advise. He asked me, "Do glasses help you see better?" "Yes," I answered. To which he replied, "Then you'd better wear them. You only have two eyes & you can't get new ones."

john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 1:36pm
I've worn glasses all my life, 1st or 2nd grade.  First pair hurt my ears, my Dad said, "Put them on and leave them on".  I did wear contacts and then bifocal contacts for a few years.  Them bifocals were nice, I could put reading glasses on if I needed more.  If you do go that route, don't get the kind where they put a close one in one eye and a distant one in the other.  It made me sick and dizzy.  Like Lou said, progressives work great, and get them with the auto dark.  Really makes life easy when you don't need to carry sunglasses or another pair around with you!  Treat them like a fine tractor and they'll serve you until you need a new pair, approximately a year from now.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
johnkc View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnkc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 2:30pm
Had a new pair of glasses that they put the bifocal half way up the lenses. Try operating a dozer or tractor with that. They told me I would have to bow my head down and I would get used to it. BS. I had them lower the bifocal as low as it could go. Also after 25 years of getting my glasses from the Dr’s office because I felt the quality was superior to Walmart, I went to Walmart and got glasses. The best glasses I have ever had and much less cost than the Dr’s dispensary.
Go figure.....
I support the development of hybrid automobiles and alternative fuels as I need DIESEL fuel for my ALLIS CHALMERS!
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

She first hung that ring on my finger and now this. I’m nervous about what tase she’ll have me toting around?

Thad, are you a man or a mouse? Squeak up!
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 6:30pm
When I was an aircraft technician and a crew chief on Hueys and Blackhawks in the National Guard I was required to wear bifocals when on flight duty. The only time I didn't wear then was when flying with night vision goggles since I could adjust the focus on those. Never cared for them much since my eyesight only need a little correction but the technician program and the Guard both furnished them so I used them, especially the safety glasses. Now I just keep a few pairs of cheaters (reading glasses) around for fine print and use safety glasses when I need them.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by Hubert (Ga)engine7 Hubert (Ga)engine7 wrote:

Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

She first hung that ring on my finger and now this. I’m nervous about what tase she’ll have me toting around?

Thad, are you a man or a mouse? Squeak up!

Happily married to my childhood Sweet Heart. Never in my life have I been so happy. She’s a very good woman and I’m quite proud of her. I don’t know if that’s what your getting at???
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 10:23pm
You will find wearing a sweat band will be a BIG help. Last time I got glasses I wound up with trifocals. I got them at one of those national known chains. Never again, I like to read and these things are almost totally useless for that. I will be going back to my local Dr for the next ones.
copyrite1972 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote copyrite1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 10:59am
Wearin' them glasses might even keep ya' from gettin' more steel in yer' eye! Wink
D15 Series II
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 12:04pm
Thad, just poking at you. After nearly 50 years I have learned that it is best to listen to my wife.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by Hubert (Ga)engine7 Hubert (Ga)engine7 wrote:

Thad, just poking at you. After nearly 50 years I have learned that it is best to listen to my wife.

😂😂😂 and after 7 months I’ve learned I have a lot more to learn. Lol I wouldn’t miss it for the world.
I figured you were makin me tell all and get imbarrased in front of all the misfits.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 2:32pm
Well Thad, I just got rid of my glasses that I've worn for over 50 years.  I always needed em for distance, I could read ANYTHING up close, no matter how small.  I had them off most of the time and doing so made my eyes stronger I guess....Big smile
NOW, comes the BIG QUESTION!!! Clap Clap  Just how much better looking did your bride get now with the cheaters? LOL  And NO, you don't need em in the dark,,,WinkWink
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 3:51pm
Misfits!? who you callin' misfits? LOL
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 5:18pm
Well it sounds like we might have a skeezix in the bunch.  Thumbs Up  LOL
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 11:45pm
LMAO....yep....i'm with JOhnKC and Tom, wear a sweat band, them gits some of them glasses from wally world or like places. I had to have bi-fokels for my work looking at puter screens all night. and after putting up with headaches from that and the florencent lighting, I gots the cheap reading glasses of the right strength and put a cap on to cut down the glare. problems solved, and it's so much cheaper going and buying them cheapies after you sit on them or step on them than buying them spensive ones for replacements. I can read a license plate across the street, but can't see what i'm reading in front of me. hard to see the casino screens too without them cheapies! I hang them on the front collar of my shirt when not in use, keeps them handy when I need them. oh....and i'm PROUD to admit....i'm a MISFIT!
PatrickC007 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PatrickC007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 6:49am
Oh, man. Wives always do things like that. You just should get used to them. Exactly the same thing did my wife. Firstly, she made me propose her then she started using my credit card, then she said to me that I need to go to the oculist and check my vision. Now I have -3,00 on the left and right eyes. I thought about buying some great glasses from RayBan but when I found out that they will cost me more than $100 I thought that I don't need this ) And I just ordered sunglasses with dioptrics from https://www.layoners.com. They cost me under $50.

Edited by PatrickC007 - 30 Apr 2020 at 3:37pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic