This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Finally got my WC, some assembly required......

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 1:39pm
Marv,
Great work bring this tractor back from the junk yard. Have enjoyed and learned some things along the way too! A fresh coat of paint on a cleaned tractor will look real good for years!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 10:10am
Found this for ya buddy,,,,,,,,

http://www.bellautomotive.com/Gas-Tank-Repair-Epoxy-p/22-5-00915-8.htm

Can't wait to see it done!!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
littlemarv View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 9:33pm
Took apart the carburetor to clean it out, didn't find anything plugged.

I guess, in my mind, I pictured stripping the chassis down to bare metal, and polishing every nut and bolt for a perfect paint job.

Yeah right, after about ten minutes I came to realize that you wire wheel what you can, sand what you can, and don't worry about what you can't reach. The main focal points on this tractor are the hood, fuel tank, fenders, etc.  I guess I don't need to worry about if the inside of the framerails are perfectly sanded....

So, spent pretty much one day sanding all the parts I took off.

I remember the radiator repair guy saying he painted the core with a certain type of black paint and not to paint over it. I don't know if he is full of it or not, but I can see that more paint equals less heat transfer, so I covered the core up.  The orange grill screen will be a nice contrast to the black core, and hide all the bent fins!

That, is a lot of masking tape.

Got a couple pieces of 1/2"  ready rod to hold the radiator for painting, drove a piece of metal in the ground to bolt the air cleaner to,

And, here goes nothing....

After it dried for a few hours, strung some clothesline in the paint booth and moved everything inside, I always let paint cure for several days before I reassemble.

The mechanic always wins.

B91131, WC23065, WD89101, CA29479, B1, Early B10, HB212, 416H
allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 10:44am
Great Job Marv!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow! I really like to see your photos! And the tent paint booth is great!
Pastor Mike
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
BenGiBoy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenGiBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 6:09pm
That looks SWEET! Nice job!
'39 Model B
Tractors are cheaper than girls, remember that!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 10:17pm

I had a heck of a time spraying that paint. So if anyone is going to use that paint, be aware, it takes either a pressure pot gun or a larger tip than I have. I just sprayed it with my Napa HVLP gun. I was pretty upset that I talked to several people about that paint, and no one mentioned that juicy tidbit. Pretty frustrating when you start painting at 3:00 on Sunday afternoon and find out the best spray pattern is about 1" in diameter. Takes a loooong time to paint an entire tractor that way. But, it blended together nice as it cured.

There, paint rant over. Moving on.......

Shot the manifold and exhaust pipe with high temp paint. Polished up the mag, put some gloss black on there. Will make a nice contrast on the engine.

So, back together we go. Ran into a VERY LARGE snag though. The spoke front wheels, that I fixed, blasted, sanded, primed, put new tires and tubes on, and painted,

do

not

fit.

(Large string of loud expletives deleted)

When I got the rims, I never actually tried them on the tractor. Visually, they sure looked like they would fit.  Come to find out, the races are about 3/16" bigger in diameter, but the real difference is the distance between the races, about 3/4" difference there. I thought it over, with some pretty extensive machining, I could make them work. Nobody's fault but my own, I guess.

GETTING A LITTLE AGGRIVATED HERE...... but I will win.

I have the set of six bolt dish wheels. This serial number was towards the end of the spoke fronts, but for now, I have to work with what I have. I promised someone I would bring some iron to his tractor show this weekend, and its go time.

Ever try to get paint to cure fast when its 50 degrees and raining? You get pretty creative with what you have.

This summer, I picked up a spare shift cover at Hutch and rebuilt it. It had one fork that was broken and welded, but it sure looked like a good repair, so I never thought twice about it.  Mine was falling into gear, I suspect broken detent springs. At any rate, I swapped shift covers while it was in the paint booth. Sure as hell, when I fired it up and let the clutch out, it made bad grinding noises. Made different noises in pretty much every gear except one. So that's the gear I used to drive it up to the garage.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!   Blood pressure going up again!  Calm down littlemarvey, the mechanic always wins.

Popped the shift cover off. Took some measurements from the cover to the three forks, to verify it is in neutral.  Grabbed the old shift tower as well. After some comparison, pretty sure I found the problem.

Here is the original-not grinding- shift tower. Note where the fork is on the tape measure.

Here is the same measurement on the grinding tower. See the difference?

So, I took the middle rail out of both and swapped forks. Looks good.

Got a mylar decal set. I know you are supposed to put soapy water on and then apply the decals, but that has never worked out for me. I just clean the area, peel the backing off a bit and cut say a quarter of the backing off. Then, put the decals on where I want them, holding them by the part that still has the backing on it. Then, press the exposed decal on, and roll it right on. Always works good. Warming up the area with a blow dryer seems to help too.

So, 11:30 the night before the show, here she is.

I guess it was worth it to make it to the show.

I have the seat back and the toolbox to put on yet, but the toolbox doesn't fit in its original location due to the extra hitch (look back on bottom of page one). I thought about taking the hitch off cause its not original, but it is pretty handy. I may just build a nice wooden platform on it. And the seat back looks like it makes it harder to get on and off so I may just leave it off.

In summary, this,

plus not quite two years of work and an undisclosed amount of cash, equals this!

Thanks for looking!

Edited by littlemarv - 08 Oct 2017 at 10:22pm

alleyyooper View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alleyyooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 5:41am
Beautiful tractor. No one appreciates all the time and effort that went into making it beautiful except another tractor guy.

Big smile   Al
allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 7:45am
That looks super duper Marv.
YOu have a lot of patience and sick to it! I don't know that I could do all that. Way to go.

Edited by allischalmerguy - 09 Oct 2017 at 7:47am
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 9:56am
Words can't describe it Marv. You did an amazing job
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 9:59am
looks great hope you get some good use out of this .  i have really enjoyed following this since you have started on this project,    it really takes so much time to do what you have done  
DanC911 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanC911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 10:31am
Looks amazing!  You have more patience than I ever would to do that much work.
1950 WD, 1955 B, 66 Jacobsen Chief-O-Matic, 68 Simplicity 2110, 77 IH Cub Cadet 1450 w/front loader
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 12:41pm
Fantastic! I'd probably run out of money and patience before I got that far! 
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 2:14pm
GREAT JOB!!!Thumbs UpThumbs Up
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Gatz in NE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatz in NE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 5:16pm
Looks great littlemarv !!
Lots of hours and $$, but well worth it.

You can be proud.

gatz
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 10:14pm
The tractor looks wonderful! Fresh and orange as it should! great work bringing this tractor back!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
corbinstein View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corbinstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 6:36am
DAAAUM!  I gots a Studebaker that needs a little work......  Wanna give it a go?
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 8:53am
YES!! Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap
Looks BETTER than GREAT!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 1:34pm
Wonderful story, so great to see the project finished (almost) after two years.  Congratulations on a fantastic job!

"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 2:05pm
Great Job

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 9:41pm

Beautiful day for a photo shoot,

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 10:18pm
Awesome shots of your WC and family! Thanks for posting.
 Regards,
 Chris
34 Airflow View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 34 Airflow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 12:00am
Fantastic work, and I am glad you shared the whole project with us here. I still scratch my head looking at your starting point but it proves anything is restorable!
Now I better pull my finger out as my project is way simpler than yours.
1937 Model A, 1937 Model U, 1929 United, 1945 Model C, 1949 WF, 1948 WC, 1956 D272 and a Roto Baler
http://www.australianallischalmersregistry.com/
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 8:14am
A story with a happy ending. Why can't CNN or any of the evening news show give us that for a change. GREAT JOB!!! 
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
BenGiBoy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenGiBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 10:01am
That was an amazing transformation...A huge CONGRADULATIONS too you. ClapThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up

As CrestonM said, I would have run out of money for sure and probably patience too! 
'39 Model B
Tractors are cheaper than girls, remember that!
Sandknob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandknob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 10:28am
Wow, that looks great. Where did you get the engine block baked at? I cant seem to find anyone that can do it.
Adam
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 11:39am
Carquest (now Advanced Auto) has a very nice engine shop here in town. They called it baking and blasting. I think they hot tank it and then shoot little steel balls at it. The results are amazing. Didn't find any steel balls in the nooks and crannies either. I was kind of worried about that.

Sandknob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandknob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 12:44pm
where is that Advance Auto located
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 6:02am
Wow....wow....wow!!!!!! You should be proud!!!
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 6:20am
Looks great Marv, and the pic of your son sitting on it is priceless!!  You guys had many hours of father/ son time.  I'm glad to have had a small part in it,(gas tank)   Thanks for sharing all the pictures and yes we all have those frustrating moments when something we fix needs to be done over again.      Mark
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic