This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Finally - 720 engine swap-more pictures 12/12/15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote den/southern illinoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finally - 720 engine swap-more pictures 12/12/15
    Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 6:46pm
Got the new engine about a month and a half ago and finally getting to the installation in the 720.  I decided to put it in this one (of 7) and make it my everyday 720 to use.  One side note is that I had a couple of new hour meters from some NOS parts so with the new engine I will have an hour meter starting at 0 hours.  Here are some pictures...final pictures a little later.

720 with hood removed and original Ohan engine

removing the old engine

The new engine hanging around...ready to install

new engine sitting in tractor

Edited by den/southern illinoi - 12 Dec 2015 at 8:13pm

Own 5 720 garden tractors with associated equipment,1 620 garden tractor, 4 wheel 20
2-5015, 5020 and associated equipment and 2 electric forklifts.
Sponsored Links

structures View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2015 at 7:46am
Nice!
coggonobrien View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2015 at 2:22pm
what is the new and whatcha doing with the old?
wsherm View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsherm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2015 at 5:06pm
You will like the 23HP Briggs.  I put the same engine in my 720 about 2 years ago.  It has plenty of power and starts very easily.  It looks like a Small Engine Warehouse kit you are using.  That is what I used also.  It went in pretty easy.  It is a very tight fit though.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2015 at 8:17pm
Looks good Den!! Keep us abreast on the pics!  Looks like Prego! Its in there!!  LOL!
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Nate (OH) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nate (OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 3:41pm
Is that a 616 frame? (I understand only major difference is the CCKA vs the CCBK). Just never seen a 720 with the solid brake petals.
den/southern illinoi View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote den/southern illinoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 9:51pm
Good eye.  Yes that is a 616 frame that had a 720 engine and hood installed.  It also had the 616 dash and column cover one it.  I just changed out the dash and cover so it will be closer to a 720 Special as it has the single hydraulic control.  It does have the 3 point...no rear PTO.  Den

Own 5 720 garden tractors with associated equipment,1 620 garden tractor, 4 wheel 20
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 6:12am
With gasoline prices being what they are the B&S conversion will yield surprising operational savings too. We don't own any of that series A-C but have 4 Case/Ingersoll's with 16-20HP Onans and wow do they suck down the fuel as compared to more modern designs!!

Edited by Butch(OH) - 11 Dec 2015 at 6:12am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote den/southern illinoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 8:12pm
Finally have time to add some more pictures thru completion.  I'm going to be using this tractor on a weekly basis so not new paint job on this one...I don't plan on abusing it but I don't want it so pretty that I don't want to do what I need to do.  Den

macvette View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macvette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 8:44pm
Boy, that is a neat installation!  I'm sure it will be much more fuel efficient.

Sure takes care of the "failure to charge" situation on many of our Onan's.
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 9:48pm
Den, let us know how it runs out when you start using it. Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 5:47pm
That is a sweet installation fir' sure! I guess that mounting plate raises the engine up to meet the driveshaft. Pretty slick! Exhaust comes out right where it should be.
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
structures View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 8:57am
That briggs looks right at home in there. 
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 1:13pm
you are going to just love that engine every thing about it is better    what muffler did you use ? did you  make  that heat shield ?  might consider bending up a few extras
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote den/southern illinoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 3:55pm
Thanks for all the good words.   Now to answer some questions.
The engine is a 23 HP unit from the Small Engine Warehouse, I think Muncie, Indiana.  It is a kit intended to be installed in an Allis 620 or 720.
The engine that was removed will be cleaned up, tuned up, spruced up and reinstalled in my loader/backhoe tractor which has some engine problems.  That engine will be worked over and go on the shelf for the time being untill I need it in one of the 7 720s that I have.
The muffler and heat shield came with the kit and are designed to fit the Briggs engine.
As far as installation went...Wiring was fairly simple but we did add a relay for the front electric clutch.  The engine is equipped with a relay for the starter so we did not have to install one for it. 
Had a problem with the front pulley on the electric clutch.  When mounted as original, it sat half over the back of the battery tray.  We had to actually install the pulley 180 degrees from original which put it right over the center of the slot where the belt drops down to the front mule.  We did machine the side as it was not machined. 
The other problem was the choke and throttle cables.  If you run them under the cooler as they were before and brought them up the side of the engine, they were bent too sharp to really work.  If you look at the picture of the left had side of the machine, you will see where I left the cables full length as they came, made a open ended keeper to hold them inside the hood and then ran the throttle to the engine as it was designed.  The choke is run across the valve cover on a raised block tapped for the clamp that was on the engine to hold down the choke shield.  Can't exactly call it a easy drop in but not that hard.  If I had to do another, I think that it could easily be done in about 3 or 4 hours.  I really won't get to use it until spring unless I put the snow plow on it but then I'm hoping for no snow.   Den

Chief Cockeye View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chief Cockeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 9:21am
Looks great!  Have you experienced any problems with engine/exhaust heat from the new engine on the battery?  I had lots of problems with this on my Simplicity 4040 (OEM engine) until I discovered the battery heat shield was missing (I got the tractor when it was less than a year old).  Installing a shop-built heat shield solved the problem for me, but it took me a few batteries to figure out I had to do something.

Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2016 at 3:34pm
Den, looks great. Have you had a chance to use it? Did you consider the Honda engine? What size were the outputs foe PTO and drive line? Thanks Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote den/southern illinoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2016 at 6:51am
No, I have not really put to any test. Hope to in the next couple of weeks.
The reason I went with the Briggs and not the Honda is because the guys that sold it to me in kit form said that they (their customers) were not having good luck with warranty work on the Honda's but no problem on the Briggs.   Den

coggonobrien View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 7:04am
Looks a  lot simpler to get the engine mount bolts in
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote den/southern illinoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 8:47am
Yes it is easier to bolt the engine down but on the last
Onan that we put in, we welded a rod across the top
of the bolts (the one on the front right needed a bend
down as it would not hit the main casting) that went
up against the engine casting so we did not have to
get a holding wrench on it.  We put the 3 bolts in the
engine holes before lowering into tractor.  We guided it
in so the bolts dropped into the mounting holes.  Then
it was just a matter of installing the nuts and washers.
Did it totally from the bottom.  The worst it would be
is someone on top with a rod to hold the bolts down
until the nuts were installed but on this first effort,
did not even need that. By the way, in case someone
was wondering, the fourth mounting bolts goes into
a tapped hole on the engine base.
Den

ac720nut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac720nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 9:17am
Like the installation, looks like it was made for it. I do however have a question about the exhaust. Wondering if the heat shield would actually force more heat onto battery way it is made? I'm sure with 7 of these tractors you've encountered all sorts of issues over time
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote den/southern illinoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 3:26pm
I have not noticed any effect of heat on the battery but most of my mowing, whatever, does not last very long.  I have looked in the parts book and they do show a heat shield over the battery but in the 10 or 11 720s, 620s, 616s,and simplicity models I have had anything to do with...there has never been a battery heat shield on any of them.  I have be looking to devise some type of heat shield that would be fairly universal.  The problem being that the original battery hookup was side mount and most of them now are poles on top so a shield cannot be laid or however on top of the battery.
Den

ac720nut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac720nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 4:30am
That's strange because now you mention I've not seen one either, would have to have a air space between battery and shield, been going to build for mine just haven't gotten around to it. Just the way it's designed looks like it would force heat that way. Someday ya get em all lined up would love to see all seven together, like the tricycle front.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 12:37pm
Den you're going to be shocked at how little gas this thing uses. More or less the same engine I have in mine and I can mow close to 15A between fill ups. You will have to adjust the valves a little more often, but it's no problem. You've got a nice piece of equipment there. Leon R  Cmo
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 12:15am
A year or two ago I bought a 720 that had that Briggs engine in it. The chock cable came out bast the oil cooler like yours but it turns up to the carb and curved way out to the left, and did not work very well. I fabed an assembly that allowed the cable to go straight up into the assembly and turn a square corner to the carb. works much better now.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic