This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

final drive wrench

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hd16b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: final drive wrench
    Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 7:50pm
I am having some metal in the finals on one side of my 16b.Iam pretty sure that I will have to tear in to it to repair.To remove the sprocket I am going to need to make a wrench being that the hex is 7.5 inches.On my hd11 I got by with a 4ft pipe wrench as it was only a 6 inch hex and not very tight.I think the nut on the 16b is going to be very tigtht  and I can use the power of the machine to loosen the nut but first I need a good wrench made. Any suggestions. Thanks Doug from nc.
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 8:12pm
Draw it out on steel plate and cut with torch, then finish with grinder.
On the nut on  HD5 I could get with pipe wrench and then used a 10 ft pipe to bring it to the torque setting to hold it.
 On D6 I ended up having to rent tools from Cat , both the puller and wrenches.

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 15 Mar 2011 at 8:13pm
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
dadsdozerhd5b View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 8:30pm
you would get a better cut to have someone plasma or waterjet a wrench from steel, less distortion and jagged edges than a torch but i have seen some pretty nice torch cuts. just make it out of thick steel so it does not spread.
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
Steve M C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 1:34pm
we used  an inch plate and torched "open end wrench" figure then welded inch thick arm to it to slip 3in pipe over. Fiat-Allis HD 11 B
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 1:44pm
Doug, these are our homemade wrenches. Just start with a big piece of steel and make sure you clean your torch tip first. The big wrench is 1-1/4" steel plate by 48" long. The smaller wrench is 1" steel. Either one of these work for our 11s. Yes you can use your tractor power but with the longer wrench we use what ever is close and in the yard at the time,backhoe,front loader,dozer blade, to mash on it. But there definitely large striking wrenches. Our 16 and 21 wrenches are about the same size. The nuts really the easy part, the puller can be more of a hassle if you have to go find one.
Jeff(WD45-SATX-TN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(WD45-SATX-TN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 2:53pm
Hey Mel,

Are ya going to post a picture of that shiny orange one in the back-ground?

Jeff
1954 WD45 NF "Iron Tater"
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 11:02pm

Jeff, I was afraid some one with an AC orange eye might spot that. Truth is I was going to post it when we were done restoring it. We only have the blade and canopy to paint and put on, but can't get enough dry weather to paint in right now.  It's a 1955 HD6B first year.    It'll cost you a cartoon for me to post it before we're done.  Mel

Jeff(WD45-SATX-TN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(WD45-SATX-TN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2011 at 6:43am
Hey Mel

I'll admit, I have been away from the drawing table for a while. Work has been crazy, so not much liesure time to dream up new AC drawings. Will pass this one along. While not the grade of crawler you are used to, but maybe it will do to get a picture of your new beast. Bascially I took my WD45 and put tracks on her. Maybe you PM me a few good side shots, front and back, and I can turn your beauty into a cartoon.

Jeff

1954 WD45 NF "Iron Tater"
Forestgnome View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Forestgnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2011 at 4:46pm

They make a pulley wrench for cars that has an attachment point on the end for an air hammer. I was thinking you could probably make a hub wrench that has a spot for a jack hammer. That would probably break anything loose!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic