This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Filling the woodshed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Filling the woodshed
    Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 7:54pm
Folks,
I have waited as long as possible to get started on this wood cutting project. The wood is for making syrup next spring. I typically cut 4 or 5 cord. 1 cord should make about 40 gallons of syrup. Last year we made 187 gallons of syrup during the season. The wood shed was taken over by small implements due to the fact that the evaporator room is in disarray. So moved out the David Bradley and the Ford LGT-100, and the Cub implements on their carts.

Hooked up the buzz rig to the Ford and sharpened the blade:

First load of slabs moved with the wide front WD.

Only 15 more loads to go! We will be ready come Feb 1 2020.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 24 Sep 2019 at 7:56pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

littlemarv View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 8:19pm

I wish I lived closer, I'd love to come help! Using as many toys as possible to complete a task is always my goal.

The mechanic always wins.

B91131, WC23065, WD89101, CA29479, B1, Early B10, HB212, 416H
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 8:53pm
Ryan,
I sure can relate to the toy thing. I put models together as a kid as fast as I got them. Played in the sandbox on my knees with tractors and wagons and farm sets. Guess I have not grown up yet. Dang I hope the wife lets me get that new WD toy too! As bad as the great grandkids wanting happy meals at McDonalds!
Since I dont have a very big plot of land, I have to try to get some use out of all of them the best I can. Most are part of my hobby business. Trying to line up a job for the WD45 which feels a little left out. Might haul a load or two with it too.
Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 8:58pm
slabs from local saw mill ?
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 9:02pm
Yes these come from a mill about 8 miles away. They process  timber for pallets. Truck load of slab bundles was around $600 that should make about 6 cord of fire wood. Price may be up now?
 I used slabs from neighbors property till they went bad. There was 120 estimated cord in that pile. I figured we used 50 cord for syrup and heating homes. 
Regards,
 Chris
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 11:27pm
Gonna start on mine sometime in the next 2 weeks. Using D17 series 4 diesel, AC 200, several Chevy pickups a 3 point spliter. Dang it makes me tired just thinking about it.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2019 at 12:11am
I been cutting wood all year. I can cut about 3-5 minutes, then have to sit about 10-15 minutes. my back won't give in and cooperate. I cut all of it in firewood size, give a lot to the boy scouts for their camp fires. use the rest for trading material and my fire pit. can you post more picks as you are making the syrup? you have some good looking equipment there!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2019 at 7:57am
Tom, Shamless. Folks,
Here are some syrup pictures from last spring. Getting wood is good work. They say it heats you several times during the process!

Shamless, 
Better get that back fixed if possible!

Here is where the slab wood is headed for:

Cheryl and grandaughter Addi helping load the wood wagon:

Yea its a hot fire to boil 130 gallons of water per hour:

Hard to see but the syrup is about 1.5 inches deep in the pans:

Last spring as the wood shed was depleted:

syrup coming off the evaporator:

The 3 foot x 10 foot antique King arch and stainless pans, hoods and steamaway:
The arch (base) is gutted right now and will get repairs and upgrades.

We use two hot tub blowers to supply air for the steamaway bubler, and the Air over fire forced draft system:

Collecting sap, using 5/16 tubing between the trees, into 40 gallon container, pumped to back of truck then up into 325 gallon poly tank. 30 of these stops to make on my route.

A full container of sap. Avg run might be 200 to 600 gallons of sap in one run. We may get 20 runs per season.

This was a very good run and the 30 taps were producing sap at a good stream that day.

unloading the sap (2% sugar water):

Back to current:
 Just some shots of the set up for cutting wood:

Got to get a Allis picture in there too:

Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2019 at 11:26pm
man! you have this down to a science! thanks for the pics! I sure enjoy everyones...well almost everyones pics on here! and the stories that go with them! I look forward to seeing more as time goes on! thanks again!
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2019 at 10:30pm
Nice thread Chris.  Nice pics and memories.  Gonna show us pics of the girls and how much they grew the past year?

If you want to use the WD45, you'll need to get a BIG wagon for it to pull...
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2019 at 8:19pm
Ted, Folks,
 I had a helper today with the wood. Cooper our great grandson visited today. He likes the Allis tractors! He helped unload the trailer load from last night we had misty fog/ drizzel. 

He is setting on his great great great uncles WD. Guess that officially makes me old!Smile

Toy tractor in his left hand:

And Maggie watching him.

Second load in the afternoon it was 75 and nice!

Looks like I will have just the right amount to fill the wood shed. Now to order another tri-axle load of slabs for spring of 2021.

Regards,
 Chris
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2019 at 8:39pm
Great pics , thanks for posting . How far can you run a line . Tap the trees up the hill and just let it run down to the shack .
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2019 at 9:26pm
Thanks for the pictures! You have a nice set up and some nice toys to use. Does the David Bradley have the original engine? I have a replacement engine on mine and can't use the hood. And I would love to find a cultivator to go on mine. It is way to hot to cut firewood here, I get too hot just thinking about it and have to take a break. Record highs in the upper 90's for the past two weeks and no rain.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 5:37am
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Yes these come from a mill about 8 miles away. They process  timber for pallets. Truck load of slab bundles was around $600 that should make about 6 cord of fire wood. Price may be up now?

Wow, guess we have cheap wood around here. I get hardwood, mostly Oak slab already cut and loaded on my dump trailer for $45 oer load which averages a cord. 1/3 Cord bundles of slab and edging were $8 last I knew. The pallet mills around here can hardly give slab away as it is cottonwood, sycamore, pine etc.
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 6:28am
I buy tie cut offs from a local company. They cost $30.00 a ton. We call ourselves micro hobbyists. We only tap 20 trees, do alot of work and give the syrup away to friends and family. Still do enjoy it though. Talked to a guy that was raking hay by us. He has the lines, vacuum pump, reverse osmosis etc. May go see his operation some time. 
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 7:27am
Originally posted by Pat the Plumber CIL Pat the Plumber CIL wrote:

Great pics , thanks for posting . How far can you run a line . Tap the trees up the hill and just let it run down to the shack .

Pat, 
That is the ideal set up to run tubing systems down hill to the sugarhouse. Of course I don't have any wood lot and no hill so we have to rent big hard maples along the roads. About a 35 mile trip and 30 stops to pick up sap.
Regards,
 Chris
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 7:33am
Chris come over by me. You can tap all the maples you want. Could even run the lines down to the road.
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 7:34am
Originally posted by Hubert (Ga)engine7 Hubert (Ga)engine7 wrote:

Thanks for the pictures! You have a nice set up and some nice toys to use. Does the David Bradley have the original engine? I have a replacement engine on mine and can't use the hood. And I would love to find a cultivator to go on mine. It is way to hot to cut firewood here, I get too hot just thinking about it and have to take a break. Record highs in the upper 90's for the past two weeks and no rain.

Hubert,
The David Bradley has the original N engine. It set under a roof but was exposed to the west for 30 years. I walked by it many times while cleaning up. This was my wife's great grandfathers machine for his garden in Erie. She said I should bring it home. I continued to walk by it! I had one of these when I was about 12 and we traded it for my first pony. Next time I walked by I reached down and spun the output pulley. It was not froze up! It had me!Smile I put about $30 into the carb, changed the oil, put on a new gas line and a throttle cable, plus one wheel cog, It runs really good!

Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 7:37am
Originally posted by mdm1 mdm1 wrote:

Chris come over by me. You can tap all the maples you want. Could even run the lines down to the road.

mdm1,
 The hauling might be prohibitive!Smile There is a lot of good syrup made in Wisconsin too!
Regards,
 Chris
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 10:04pm
Neat! I grew up with a dad who I guess didn't believe in wood sheds... Even though a wood stove was our only heat source, we always just stored it at the edge of the yard/woods. I've been thinking I should build a little shed for the not-so-long winters we have here and my fireplace insert. It has to dry down a lot better with a roof over it.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 10:04pm
I've also always wanted a David Bradley. I have a small pile of Gravely walkbehind and some DB attachments, but I've yet to pick up a decent condition DB tractor.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 3:07am
our local mill here will bring all the slabs and trimmings you want for nuthin! mostly hard wood, I used to get a lot of it and grind it up for bedding for our critters, and sawed sum for firewood too. haven't got a load for awhile so I don't know now if they are charging for it or not.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 8:23am
Folks,
Shameless,
Wood that is free is good! Thats a good idea chipping it for bedding! I don't seem to have any of that luck. I am the one that has to pay the full amount for about everything. 

wJohn,
I almost have to have dry wood for the maple syrup operation. The evaporator eats it up and if the wood is wet it extends the boil time considerably. The David Bradley is just another toy in the big sandbox. It is fully functional, but I use a Troy-built tiller in the garden. A unknown friend on another web site gave me the wheels as mine were rusted flat on the bottom!

Off to unload a trailer load of wood. I will have about three more loads to clean up the slabs and fill the wood shed.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 02 Oct 2019 at 2:44pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 9:05am
wjohn, the DB's are out there on Ebay but pricey and too far away for me to go pick up.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 2:48pm
Folks,
 Will have two more trailer loads of wood for the syrup production. Unloaded and cut a big load today with help from a fellow syrup maker.

Next project will be to refurbish the evaporator!

Regards,
 Chris
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 7:19pm
Very nice equipment! I like my 8N, but if I had to start over, I would go with a Jubilee like my g-grandpa had. A little more power, and I think they look better. 

Hubert...I have a DB like Chris's, and I couldn't use the original N engine either. Somehow the key way got wallowed out in the crank shaft, and I couldn't get the flywheel to stay held in the right spot. I still have the N, but I put a stripped down 3hp Harbor Freight engine in it. Runs off the stock gas tank. Did strip it down quite a bit, and it currently doesn't have much for an air breather, but the hood does close down on it. I removed the recoil start and put the rope cup on it, so it looks factory at first glance. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 8:55pm
Creston, I have a 5hp B&S on mine with the carb mounted on the gas tank and the recoil start, still have the hood in the barn though. Mine is a worker. Put new wheels and tires on it at the start of summer ($$) then it broke the triplex chain in the transmission. Angry Got it going again and hope it lasts another 50+ years.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2019 at 3:34pm
Ah yes, I almost put a Briggs with a carburetor setup like that on mine, but I really like the looks of the hood, so I used a different engine. Mine is kind of a working restoration...not too fancy of a paint job, but it looks nice. I use it in my garden for cultivation and harrowing some. 

wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2019 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by Hubert (Ga)engine7 Hubert (Ga)engine7 wrote:

wjohn, the DB's are out there on Ebay but pricey and too far away for me to go pick up.

Plenty of them still around here. I see some listed way high but they never sell. Lots of $30-$100 non-runners at auctions but I'm picky about the engine and transmission I want if I do buy one, and the Gravelys do way more so I'm in no rush.

I wonder if they weren't as popular in the southeast?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2019 at 7:45pm
Folks,
 These DB's are a cute post war machine. I think the design is aircraft like (hood)! They are very reasonable to collect. Prices rage here as mentioned $30 to about $300 max. Even restored ones don't bring a lot of money. This original N type engine just has a very sweet sound! I would like to get a sulky for it and cruise around at tractor shows.

Some shots when I drug this David Bradley unit home:

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 04 Oct 2019 at 8:00am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic