Unofficial Allis Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fiat Alice 10c dozer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joey Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fiat Alice 10c dozer
    Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 9:08pm
I have a Fiat Alice 10c dozer I am having problems with the brake and steering clutches they will hold going forward but not going in reverse does anyone have any idea on how to fix this
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 9:32pm
why do you think it is the steering clutchs and not the REVERSE CLUTCH Pack in the transmission ?
Trump Is Not A Lib or Conserv, He's a "Pragmatist." (someone who is practical and focused on reaching a goal. Has a straightforward, matter-of-fact approach and doesn't let emotion distract him or her
Joey Farmer View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joey Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 6:11am
I am really not sure what the problem may be I was looking for some suggestions I've not had this machine very long any help would be greatly appreciated
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 8:34am
It has been over 30 years since i was around one... But the transmission has a forward clutch, reverse clutch, and then 1-2-3 gear clutches.  If the tractor moves forward, but not reverse, i would not think the steering clutch would be the first place to look. I would assume there is some trouble with the reverse clutch.... You might take off the transmission filter , drain the oil into a bucket, and dump that last cup on some news paper and look for contaminatiion  ( clutch material).  You could see if there are any spuds to check pressure and compare the forward and reverse engage pressures... It is possible there is some leak off or no full stroke of the levers / valve , but that would be rare. Look at the linkage pins and valves and see that everything is MOVING as it should and no SLOP in the pins....... After that, i would assume the reverse clutch has failed... When you examine the transmission oil for CRUD, smell it to see if it has burned. ..... and check the OIL LEVEL first thing.
Trump Is Not A Lib or Conserv, He's a "Pragmatist." (someone who is practical and focused on reaching a goal. Has a straightforward, matter-of-fact approach and doesn't let emotion distract him or her
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joey Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 9:43am
Thanks so much Steve for the information it is nice talking to someone that has knowledge of these old dozers the machine moves forward and reverse perfect it's just the brakes work going forward but not in reverse sorry if I may have not explained it right
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 9:51am
YEP.......... thats a different story.. IF no brakes in reverse, then that is the problem.. When you pull the steering clutch does it disengage that side ?  If so, then your CLUTCH is OK... just a brake problem... Dont say the age of machine.. I dont remember if they had hand clutch/ brake levers or always had the brake on foot pedals... hard to believe it has anything to do with valve or pump or oil, if it works in FWD, but not in reverse... Have you tried adjusting the brake clearance ?  I dont remember the procedure, but most tractors had an external screw to adjust clearances.

Im hoping someone who knows specifics about the FIAT 10C will jump in and help.. I was just trying to get more info from you.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joey Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 9:56am
Thanks for the help yes I will look when I get home it does have handles up top and pedals on the floor best I remember those levers run to the back of the machine and there are valves on top of the rear end housing when I first got the machine it had been sitting up for about 5 years we had to put hydraulic fluid in the rear end housing and the brakes then started working once we got the lines primed up
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 11:37am
Find someone that is familiar with crawler controls to check it out. Don't try and guess what is wrong. You can cause some expensive damage if you don't know how to operate a crawler.
Jack of all trades, master of none
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 4:16am
Plain FA 10 owner here, with shop manual that doesn't cover 10C.  It has been a very effective ranch dozer.  But punting on that they didn't totally redesign the animal -

Can you turn?  That will tell you if the steering clutches are releasing.

If the brakes are getting pressure you should feel the pedal pulsate when it is hard down.  They pull oil for steering brakes and clutches from the bevel case through a filter on the LHS front of the bevel case under your left foot under the floor plate.

Why the brakes might not work in reverse would be a mystery but maybe if loose they wrap forward and not in reverse?  They are wet brakes.

I can copy brake adjustment for you if needed.  I'd also recommend finding a service manual as they do some "Different but  that doesn't mean it is crazy" things.  

We've been into the finals of ours and know for sure that the dead axles are bigger in a 10C - via wrong part.  Not sure what else.

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joey Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 11:33am
Thank you so much for the help I'll check that when I get home this afternoon I can turn going forward left or right but going in reverse it won't but like you said it may be loose I may just need to adjust them once again thank you so much for the help
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 5:22am
I got out the book.  The adjusting screw  comes out the top of the cover over the brake/clutch compartment out of a small cover on the top of it somewhat front of centre.

Adjusting is tighten the adjuster to 57.8 ft lbs and then back off 2 turns.  There is an index mark on the head.

Ours has only needed one adjustment in around 3000 hours so far.

Just in case they did change things from FA 10 to FA 10C - any problems identifying yell and I'll scan that section and you can compare.

After adjustment pedal free travel should be 90 - 110 mm.  If not adjust brake power pushrod - another scan if you need it

Edited by Ian Beale - 25 Feb 2021 at 5:25am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 8:46am
thats 3 -1/2 to 4-1/4 inch free travel on the pedals.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic