This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Feeling sorry for the hen,,,,,,,

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Feeling sorry for the hen,,,,,,,
    Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 10:36pm

Well I'm down to the 3 hens as I finally had to give the female duck a ride to the neighbor's reservoir where she can live with bout 10 others.
 There has never been a rooster in the coop but that didn't stop one of the hens.  I had not seen her out in bout 7-8 days and had not picked up any eggs for same time,,,?? Well, this Am,I looked in coop and there she was setting on some eggs,,,? I moved her out of coop and she was setting on 12 eggs, felt of the eggs and they were all "warm" and she kept wantin back into the coop! I know the eggs had not been fertilized, but somehow her maternal instincts were getting there. I cracked one of the eggs but no sign of any chickie parts,,,,,? Figured the eggs would NOT develop and prolly not any good for eating,I removed em and got rid of them.. Thinkin I'ma NOW gonna get a young Rooster to full fill the three hen's maternal desires,,,,???
Sponsored Links

fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 8:24am
They are going to do that anyway rooster or not. Unless you want more chicks there is no point to it. Young roosters can be a pain in the ass. Think of a teenage boy with a raging boner for 23 1/2 hours a day. That's what you will have.
Domestic chicks of the ones I had never went the full 21 days anyway.
If there is any question on the eggs see if they float in cool water.
Floaters bad, sinkers good. There is an air bubble on the big end, take that into account. 
Get some wooden eggs to sit on and take the good ones everyday. They make those. Don't wash them either when you put them in the fridge, they last longer.

Edited by fixer1958 - 30 Jun 2022 at 8:27am
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 9:28am

Chit, Fixer,,,,,I had to laugh at the one bout the teenage boy,,,brings back SOOoooo many memoriesLOLLOLLOL They used to call me ,,,,,,UMmmm,,,never mind,,!!
 Well, I just got back and that dang hen is setting on the eggs they all laid since yesterday,,!!  I remembered the wife had bought some wooden eggs for something and I fount them and fixin to do an exchange with that hen. I' glad you mentioned bout the cleanin tho, cause I always "test" em and clean em in a pan of cold water to see if any float,,,none so far. Thanks for the heads up,,,,Clap
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 11:04am
     Roosters: Had to take care of brother's chickens for a few days recently as well as last winter. Mr. Rooster is one mean and aggressive devil. One can't get in the pen with the hens so long as he is around. My solution would be to invite him to Sunday dinner.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 12:23pm
The average Joe has no idea how vicious a rooster can be.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 12:52pm
Just depends on how big the spurs
They can absolutely nail a person with those if not hacked back
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 1:16pm
Reminds me of my sister back when we were kids, she was taking care of the neighbor's chickens.  She and the neighbor lady had both told neighbor man that the rooster was mean, and they didn't want him around.  He dismissed their concerns.

One day my sister went over to take care of the chickens, and Mr. Rooster was hanging by his feet from the clothesline.  Neighbor MAN had to do the morning chicken care....LOL

Edited by Tbone95 - 30 Jun 2022 at 1:17pm
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Reminds me of my sister back when we were kids, she was taking care of the neighbor's chickens.  She and the neighbor lady had both told neighbor man that the rooster was mean, and they didn't want him around.  He dismissed their concerns.

One day my sister went over to take care of the chickens, and Mr. Rooster was hanging by his feet from the clothesline.  Neighbor MAN had to do the morning chicken care....LOL

ClapClapClapTOOOO Funny,,,TBone,,,Had a good laugh on that one!!!LOLLOL
 When I was growin up on the farm, we had lots of chickies and sold the eggs as well had a chickie Rooster slaughter bout every three months or so,,,,LOL
 I usually had to start a big fire under the 55 gallon barrel half full of water. When hot enough, my Dad would take the roosters by the neck and flip em around a couple of times and their necks would tear off. After floppin around for a few, he would take em by the legs and dip em in the boiling water a time or two and give em to us boys and Mother to start plucking them stinking feathers,!! That was the part I Hated
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 10:40pm
Joe... when i was dating wife 40 years ago, she lived on a farm.. Mom and dad were doing the 55 gallon drum / chicken ordeal one day when i stopped by... Didnt volunteer to help !!! Wink
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 6:06am
Reminds me of an incident with the Amish guy that built me garage.

I was going to town one day and he asked to ride along to do some errands. One of his errands was he needed something at Tractor Supply. When we got in there, they had a bunch of baby chicks. He was looking them over, when I suggested that, since he already had laying chickens, that he might be able to use one of my daughter's incubators (at my house) to hatch his own eggs. Always thrifty($$$), he thought it was a great idea. When I asked him if had roosters, he said no. I replied that I needed to explain some things to him! (I thought the clerk was going to wet her pants when I was telling him!)

he must have figured it out. He had two kids when he built my garage in 2011. He now has 7 !!!
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 8:47am
When I was butchering birds a lot I used a turkey fryer and get the water to about I think it was about 135 degrees there abouts if I remember right. Sloosh them around for about 30 seconds or so. I digress... I got plans for a 'whizbang chicken plucker' and got this masterpiece put together after a few months, lot of parts and time.
Anyway after the chicken soak turn that bad boy on throw the chicken in. 30 seconds flat that bird was a slick as a baby's butt save a few tail feathers. Can't soak a chicken to hot or too long because the fat will get too hot and the skin will tear. Then onto the gutting table and into the cold water till vacuum packing. Had a good system going. 

Killing them I had a couple of road cones that I cut to fit and shove them in there and cut their throat and let them bleed out. They close their eyes then so you know no one is home anymore. Duck on the other hand especially a Muscovy Drake will look you right in the eye. I changed that technique, kind of gave me the willies.

Anyway later I found a guy that had a manufactured stainless steel one for essentially nothing and sold the whizbang for $600. Still have the latest one but haven't used it in years. 
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 9:20am
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

Joe... when i was dating wife 40 years ago, she lived on a farm.. Mom and dad were doing the 55 gallon drum / chicken ordeal one day when i stopped by... Didnt volunteer to help !!! Wink

Yeah, Steve,,like most kids, I kinda liked building the fire and gettin her Good and HOT but Dad would get on my case if too hot!! Them wet feathers is not too good, tho,,,LOL Caan't figure as I LOVE chicken any way it is cooked,,,,!!Clap
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 9:23am
Originally posted by fixer1958 fixer1958 wrote:

When I was butchering birds a lot I used a turkey fryer and get the water to about I think it was about 135 degrees there abouts if I remember right. Sloosh them around for about 30 seconds or so. I digress... I got plans for a 'whizbang chicken plucker' and got this masterpiece put together after a few months, lot of parts and time.
Anyway after the chicken soak turn that bad boy on throw the chicken in. 30 seconds flat that bird was a slick as a baby's butt save a few tail feathers. Can't soak a chicken to hot or too long because the fat will get too hot and the skin will tear. Then onto the gutting table and into the cold water till vacuum packing. Had a good system going. 

Killing them I had a couple of road cones that I cut to fit and shove them in there and cut their throat and let them bleed out. They close their eyes then so you know no one is home anymore. Duck on the other hand especially a Muscovy Drake will look you right in the eye. I changed that technique, kind of gave me the willies.

Anyway later I found a guy that had a manufactured stainless steel one for essentially nothing and sold the whizbang for $600. Still have the latest one but haven't used it in years. 

Hey Fixer,,I seen one of them feather pluckers somewhere but can't remember where but it did work many wonderfuls,,,just chunk them chickiesm in there and spin em a few and they come out like a baby's butt,,,

I laugh bout them ducks as the female duck always would turn her head and look at me with the one eye for the longest,,,,another reason I had to give her a "ride" to the neighbor's reservoir,,,,,LOL
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 10:20am

THAT DANG HEN,,,,,!!!!LOLLOL I went to all the trouble of looking for them wooden painted eggs the wife had hid out and,,,,and,,, NOW she won't go into the coop to lay on the wood eggs,,,,LOLLOL
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 11:06am
Well you somehow managed to piss her off.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 8:21pm
was at TSC one day, they had an item there...the manager put a sign on it asking for anyone to tell her what it was! it was a chicken plucker (electric). she had no idea! lol 
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 9:38pm

Well,,I'm too much of a "Softie", I guess,,,I do not plan on harvesting any of them hens,,I mean, I LIKE chickie meat but it gotta be someone elses,,,,,,,,WinkWink
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by fixer1958 fixer1958 wrote:

Well you somehow managed to piss her off.

I think I must of pissed her off real good when I used the hoe to dragged her off them 12 eggs and she kept wantin to go back and lay on em, clucking all the time,,,,LOL
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 8:08am
Well my approach was a little different. I just reach under and get them out, She will get bitchy and you may bleed a little. Part of the game. 
If I crapped a football I would get bitchy too.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic