This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FDX40-24 Cold weather hydraulic pump issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A310 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FDX40-24 Cold weather hydraulic pump issues
    Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 6:53pm
Hey guys, starting to get into the 30's now overnight and the hydraulic pump is very slow to get working.  I haven't looked at anything yet, but will pull the strainer this week and have a look at it.  The pump has been working great up until the temps started to drop.  Might have to put a heater on the hydraulic tank if I can't find anything wrong.:) Thought I'd ask on this forum to see if anybody has had similar issues with there cold pumps? 
1965 AC FDX40-24
Sponsored Links

tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 3:07pm
Have you check to see if there is any water in the bottom of the tank
A310 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A310 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 8:49pm
I drained a sample out when I finished restoring the forklift 25 hrs ago and there was no water.  I'll check again and see, thanks for reply.:) 
1965 AC FDX40-24
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 10:59pm
I have the same issue with my hydraulic wood splitter. Each year there is a noticeable struggle for the pump when the temperatures go below freezing. So the other day I changed the fluid with the onset of fall only to find out it probably struggles more now (I may have to change it one more timeLOL). I used to put the magnetic heater on it last winter for some time before using it and then direct the heat gun directly on the pump for only a couple of minutes or so and that really did the trick BUT the volume is only 3 liters (about 0.8 of a US gal.). The real help is thin hydraulic oil like Hyd. 32. The challenge with older well used equipment is that you get faster bypass in hyd. cylinders as well as in the pump itself with thin oil especially once the weather is hot. Some years back I was involved in testing oils for metal to metal protection and was surprised to see how this quality is very much lacking in thin hydraulic oils so on this basis I try as much as possible to stay with thicker oils.
It could very well be that your fork lift has a screen in addition to a filter and if it's restricted it'll show up when cold weather comes. I never had this tendency with my A-C forklifts however.
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
A310 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A310 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 12:26am
Thanks Eric,

I haven't checked the filter yet but if that's clean I'll try an oil pan heater and see if that does the trick.:)    
1965 AC FDX40-24
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 4:52am
Originally posted by A310 A310 wrote:

Thanks Eric,

I haven't checked the filter yet but if that's clean I'll try an oil pan heater and see if that does the trick.:)    

Cheap way to try this is to find a gas (naptha) fired camp stove, or tent heater.  Most of the time you can find these at yard sales, for like $10 bucks or so.  I use a tent heater to start small kubotas, and my ASV RC 30.  If you can't fit the tent heater under the pan, try the single burner camp stove...Wink
A310 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A310 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 8:48am
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

Originally posted by A310 A310 wrote:

Thanks Eric,

Cheap way to try this is to find a gas (naptha) fired camp stove, or tent heater.  Most of the time you can find these at yard sales, for like $10 bucks or so.  I use a tent heater to start small kubotas, and my ASV RC 30.  If you can't fit the tent heater under the pan, try the single burner camp stove...Wink

Thanks, I don't have a camp stove, but do have an old tigor torch.:)  I'll get to work on the forklift in the next week or two as I will be using it again for the heavy lifts.:)
1965 AC FDX40-24
A310 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A310 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 4:17pm
Thought I'd give an update.  I topped the tank off with some fresh AW32 and checked the filter and all is clean.  I stuck a magnetic oil pan heater on the tank and still takes about 20-30 seconds to prime the pump.  After that is works great until you stop using the hydualics, then the prime is lost.  I think it's getting air into the pump intake, so when I get some more time I'll take the system apart and find the cause.:)  Had the old girl out today lifting about 3700 lbs worth of fuel plus tank and she was very stable.  I'll update this thread when I find the cause and the fix.:)  Here's a couple of photos.

1965 AC FDX40-24
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 8:53pm
just thinkin out loud here...
hmm.. loses it's prime..
Maybe there's a 'check valve' ( ball bearing) that is always stuck open ? If so ,that'd allow the oil to backflow into sump and yup, you gotta restart, wait 20-30 seconds to 'fill up' the system again.
A broken or weak  check valve spring could be the culprit. Hopefully you've got  a reasonably good manual for the beastie.

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
A310 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A310 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 9:25pm
Thanks Jay, 

You might be right, I'll look into that as well and see what I find.  I do have a decent manual for it, so I'm sure I'll find what's causing this.  I never rebuilt the hydraulics so it could be as simple as a seal and o-ring kit.:)  

Cheers

Harling
1965 AC FDX40-24
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic