This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fall crops seeding looking good in Mo river bottom

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fall crops seeding looking good in Mo river bottom
    Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 3:09pm
Just came thru the Mo River bottom near Hermann and dang , nice stand of soybeans in every field the combines ran thru - corn was hard to see but seen a pretty good stand there too; are newer combines really that hard to set up - RIGHT-?
Sponsored Links

plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 5:05pm
Ok, crazy thought here. With rise in popularity of fall cover crop and percieved expense of said crop, perhaps this is a cheaper alternative?
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 5:08pm
Not cover crops, replants after the monsoons and no sun this spring.  Every section of green in otherwise ripened grain fields was Late Planted trying to recover some of the losses.  Know most of those that planted here.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by DougG DougG wrote:

Just came thru the Mo River bottom near Hermann and dang , nice stand of soybeans in every field the combines ran thru - corn was hard to see but seen a pretty good stand there too; are newer combines really that hard to set up - RIGHT-?

Gee they might be Confused Doug. I have never played on any newer than 80's models. But another take on this I just read is a Confused numbers game. Wink If you loose 1% of 200 bu it is a lot more than 1% of 70 bu.

Wink Just because you can chew up all the straw or what ever, and not plug the machine it still might be prudent to go slower.   

DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 5:37pm
True , but back years ago it was frowned upon to have a crop of what you just combined look like that - awe well ,its their money
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 7:09pm
Will say this ONE MORE TIME.  This spring we had creek born flooding along these fields, Corn was drowned, so too beans but not total fields.  So the farmers went back in as dried down enough and spot replanted in the Dead Zones to recover what they could.  

Crop insurance does not pay out if any part of a field delivers a crop, so the next best alternate is replant the killed off areas with the faster growing replant, in this case beans.  You likely also saw the Sunflower Fields at the Hwy Y Junction south of Big Spring?  That is a mix of grasses and the sunflowers going to come out as Silage.

This is one of those fields along Bear Creek south of Big Spring.

Edited by DMiller - 15 Oct 2021 at 7:11pm
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 2:16pm
I seen that in the flood- but its all the fields !!!!! Every one , im just curious as setting these machines as even the fields on I 70 are the same -bean  replant - just came back from Rolla on high ground - same - bean even replant ,, just looks bad to me ,in the day- you had a clean field after

Edited by DougG - 17 Oct 2021 at 2:32pm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 5:28pm
Rains flooded off a great deal of seedling initial growth around here, killed mass acreage that had to be replanted especially along the Loutre and Gasconade rivers and the tributaries to them.  I pass a great deal of these replants every day, watched the die off and replantings.   Sand Plant road runs alongside several owners fields, also run Hwy Y or J often in Montgomery county where those had rain borne flash floods, mud up killed much of early growths just not all.

And yes, I DO know many of the owners that replanted all the way North to Jonesburg or New Florence.  Yields currently are sucking.

Edited by DMiller - 16 Oct 2021 at 5:30pm
Purple Allis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purple Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 5:45pm
This week I’ve seen a lot of harvesting corn across the river in Illinois but there soybeans are not being harvested around the Mississippi River going up towards Edwardsville, Godfrey Illinois area there leaves are gone they look ready to me but I’m just wondering if the moisture content is still high.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 6:18pm
Test samples in McKittrick was over 18% last I heard.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purple Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Test samples in McKittrick was over 18% last I heard.

Ok are the Harvesting them around your area?
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 8:05pm
Currently full load fields got cut some weeks ago, those with minimal downfall drowning.  The boss I work for lost close to a third of his crop to lowland flash flood, chose not to replant so what has harvested came in around 40b/a, losses will be attached to that where be lucky to break 26.  

Their corn did OK, harvest was over 200b/a as was cut until reduce by lost acres and down again to under 180.

A few farms that replanted will recover most of the reductions but at the cost of reseeding and waiting on that crop too.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purple Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Currently full load fields got cut some weeks ago, those with minimal downfall drowning.  The boss I work for lost close to a third of his crop to lowland flash flood, chose not to replant so what has harvested came in around 40b/a, losses will be attached to that where be lucky to break 26.  

Their corn did OK, harvest was over 200b/a as was cut until reduce by lost acres and down again to under 180.

A few farms that replanted will recover most of the reductions but at the cost of reseeding and waiting on that crop too.

Thanks that bottom land is nice but seems to be a gamble when Planting. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 6:01am
Seems MO River or its tributaries have always been a gamble!!
Some farms around here luck out often, levies in right spots at right height and marvelous yields, others too close to poorly levied tributaries that on very hard and quite frequent rains get flash flooded.

Crop insurance would help if would pay partial loss hits as this year but doesn’t so are out fuel, tractor hours, seed purchase and re-fertilizing costs. Our renter had only applied his anhydrous as the first of five waves of these rain floods happened, had to reapply twice after initial where was actually considering leaving those acres go on first hit. The fields he applied that on one of which is the photo I took, another is beyond the tree/creek line. The water in that photo was down to normal in three days and was only up from incessant rain run off where the MO was nowhere near to flood stage.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 7:22am
When you say crop insurance won’t pay, is it because of the risk factor of this bottom ground area limits the types of insurance they will sell to the farmers there? Because around here, there are several policy options that would pay in this circumstance.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 11:56am
Have been offered similar policies to read by the renter and a associate retiree across the river, most of the Fine Print notes if make any level of harvest off the field then No Insurance payment forthcoming. The high dollar not worth the paper written on also denote that where regardless the money spent, unless can write off the entire field there is no insurance.

May just be what will underwrite here but nothing better here.

Edited by DMiller - 17 Oct 2021 at 11:57am
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 4:23pm
That’s rough.

Here, you can buy many different types, including yield protection at several different percentages all up to what you want to spend. If several fields are in the same section, they are averaged together, if in separate sections even just across a fence, you can count them individually.

If you’re a beginner target yields are based on county history, then when you report for a few years it’s your farm history. I’ve been paid even when deer eat half a small field.

I do wonder if it’s because the flood risk is just too high.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 5:06am
Has to be a regional issue, two farms up out of the flood plain yet have creeks that run thru them were damaged from torrential rains, one received a yield count of 45b/a on corn off a 250a field, NO Insurance payout as made a yield of ANY value against a flood clause.  Did not pay for fuel machine time or seed to plant the field, where that family is listing their place for sale.  The other made 12b/a on beans, similar conditions, rolling fields and considerable low spots but above the 'flood plain' were flash flood damaged, he did not take out 'Flood' clause on insurance, gets No qualification on recovery cost.  He is writing off the loss after test combining 50 of 350 acres, said may set his cattle to the field or offer to his neighbors to feed theirs on.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 12:57pm
Both corn and beans around  here are 6" or more tall and super thick  in EVERY field after they harvested them--- AND there 2 problems causing that --- first is the greedy farmers hoggin all the land they can get and not be able to cover it  in a respectable way.
Second thing is the bigger/newer the combine is, The more they waste.You cant run 12 , 16, or 24 rows thru a combine that only is designed to do 4 rows.
Also you cant run the 5 to 7 mph they run here!
The whole problem is GREED!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 9:34pm
I drove auger tractor from renters to my place by cutting thru a farm owned by my cousin. Their renters have a brand new Big Green, the ground is near solid green w/ 1 - 2" tall soybeans. They always get geese feeding after combining but we don't.  

AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic