This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fairly certain is a Scammer.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fairly certain is a Scammer.
    Posted: 18 Feb 2024 at 1:32pm
Placed KW for sale since the last episodes of NIGHTMARE.  First up was Marketplace, perhaps someone more local but nope, First off Scammer then 'We can Help you Sell it' Scammers.  so allowed that to drift into neverland.  Next up Truck Paper Sales Ad, only been a few days and receive a Text(TP shows your Phone Number for sales conversations) Person on other side asks of important descriptors and what been done for more information.  Several contacts later states consider it sold.  Then gets from murky to plain muddied.  

I am asked for address to send a Bank Draft, noted would not be taking possession until that clears.  Still same Ph No.  NJ/NY/East coast AC, 585.  I agree but needed information from Them, Name Address, bank to draw off, so on.  Get a name and address in Fontana CA.  Curious I look up the given Cell Ph No, and has ZERO information as to OWNER, look up address, name is associated but the Ph No.'s associated to are different.  Trying to be casual and not spook if is a legit buyer I ask of the concern as to this Truck no longer allowed in CA and the Ph No being a East Coast Area Code.     About an hour later comes back with truck is to go to NY State.
So contact Nephew in Dallas, explain what have, ask if still has LA Basin area LEO contacts and could they research the prospective QUIETLY.  Is underway.  If nothing there will call the Landline number I found in Fontana and the CA Cell number to see if is the Prospective buyer or not.

DID speak to bank here, gal I deal with stated could yet be a Scam, would REQUIRE a Valid Photo ID as Driver License and a Hand Written note for the Purpose of the Check to be used for Payment to even Consider it being deposited.  There HAVE been Scams where all is good, Funds transferred, waiting period passes all good of three to six days, then at 30-45 days the Bank recalls the funds as SCAM and sold materials also Gone.  Signature on Hand Written note has to match the ID Signature.

Tomorrow I will await the notification Check been sent, then will call the CA Phone Numbers I found in search on the Name/Address.  If answer and knows nothing of this will turn over to Federal Authority.  If is legit will explain just validating as was concerned.  This could then get Fun.  For should these be Scammers, will work with Authorities to get the Transporter that shows up picked off, then they can deal with his end contact.  If legitimate my KW is History.

Edited by DMiller - 18 Feb 2024 at 1:35pm
Sponsored Links

Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2024 at 2:20pm
Hopefully for you it turns out to be legit but it is best to be very very cautious. With the porting of cell phone numbers now they follow the person when they move around the country. Got a friend that lived near here for a while that brought his number from Alaska and is now living in the Upper Peninsula and still has the same number. The one that you are dealing with is sending up several caution flags though.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2024 at 2:21pm
sounds like a scam....
tell him, CASH at time of sale, you'll hold truck for 3 days.('cash' should have been in ad)
Have no idea what $ you're talking about but heck, you can etransfer any amount of money these days,usually 5K at a time.

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2024 at 3:47pm
Money is over $70,000
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2024 at 4:01pm
yeah, that's a serious amount of coins.....
still, 14 transfers of $5K is doable,safe  and secure

there is no way I'd accept a cheque, money transfer or other 'paper by mail'

heck talk to your pretty bank gal for how BEST to get the money. For starters, I'd open a separate bank account for this deal....just in case. Once it's in there,for sure, THEN transfer to another account so 5 days latter 1st bank can't grab it back, scammer can't transfer it out as YOU already have it  !

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2024 at 4:47pm
I say listen to your gut.  Likely you will get a stolen cashiers check, sent to you via a stolen shipping company account.  I say cash, delivered to you at the closest police station...JMHO...Hug
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2024 at 4:58pm
She stated can do a Bank to bank transfer but the Buyer has to be sitting in front of her, I am awaiting the Check to see what arrives, will make the call as get there.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2024 at 6:01pm
As for the phone number area codes, nowadays that don’t mean squat. We have lived in Texas over 10 years now, and my whole family that moved with us, all still have our original cell phone numbers from Southern Wisconsin.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2024 at 7:16pm
years ago, guy sold his '63 vette to a guy who gave him a certified cheque ( late '60s ), 3 days later bank said it was worthless, 5 days later Buffalo cops called to say found what was left of his vette....
I can only imagine that scammers have become better since then.
If it's a legit deal, guy will 'dot the tees, cross the i's' and when YOUR bank is happy, YOU can breath easy.

Wispitfiremike View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wispitfiremike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2024 at 10:49pm
I would be really careful with 14 transfers as it will look like you're trying to hide from the IRS. they have to report anything over 10k so Bank will probably report it as it looks like you are laundering money
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2024 at 5:56am
gee, I did 200k that way one day (*yeah..lotta fill in the blanks...), guv never knocked on my door...
I've always assume the guv has easy access to everything done 'electronically' for decades.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2024 at 6:38am
Decided to make the CA Call, guy is a City Comptroller, no need for buying a truck in midwest. He wondered how they got his info.
Then regular as rain the Cretan texted as to sending the check including money to pay shipper.
Explained in detail what to do with that piece of Shat paper.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2024 at 8:06am
Originally posted by Wispitfiremike Wispitfiremike wrote:

I would be really careful with 14 transfers as it will look like you're trying to hide from the IRS. they have to report anything over 10k so Bank will probably report it as it looks like you are laundering money

Yep, what I’m thinking. But at least he’s ahead of the game already talking to the bank about the purpose.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2024 at 8:56am
Your 'spidey sense' paid off.

The thing about legit buyers, is that when they respond, they're no-nonsense.  A scammer will be eluisive from the git-go, while a legit will be up front and open. 

Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 9:56am
Then lo and behold a Check Arrives last night, scammer texts shows arrived this morning, texted back took to bank, DECLINED.

Not a word since.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 1:40pm
And three more Scam Bags add to the Lists.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic