This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

facebook marketplace

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: facebook marketplace
    Posted: 03 Feb 2024 at 7:01am
OK, someone here has to be using it...

I search 'Allis-Chalmers' and get back 4-5 A-C pieces, an HO toy train, CASE ,Ford pickup,trailer,fridge, and other NON 'Allis-Chalmers' posts.....

Is this NORMAL ?

I'd expect ONLY A-C posts, not the hodge podge of totally unrelated stuff.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Sponsored Links

Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2024 at 7:18am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

OK, someone here has to be using it...

I search 'Allis-Chalmers' and get back 4-5 A-C pieces, an HO toy train, CASE ,Ford pickup,trailer,fridge, and other NON 'Allis-Chalmers' posts.....

Is this NORMAL ?

I'd expect ONLY A-C posts, not the hodge podge of totally unrelated stuff.

Tends to work that way for me as well.
Won’t be long and I’ll be getting adds for IH equipment 983 miles from home.
Just have to weed through it all.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2024 at 7:38am
Don't if the same tactic but I see on Craigslist is the seller throws a whole bunch of unrelated names and other words in description to create a wider viewership.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2024 at 7:53am

Hey Jay,,,I use The Marketplace quite a lot always looking for that ,,,special deal  Wink and truth be known,,I do manage to do quite well,,,?  I did learn from ole Steve to keep your search words to a minimum as that right there will narrow the returned items to the specific item you are searching for without loading up your search to unrelated items. Sometimes, I think ole Steve can find stuff that ain't even listed ,,,yet,,,Wink
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2024 at 8:24am
Stopped using Marketplace and Craigslist for that very reason. They added algorithms to adjust searches, went from specific results to pages of nothing wanted to look thru trying to find specifics.
ihc pickups View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ihc pickups Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2024 at 11:42am
I have quit using facebook marketplace all together. I was tired of answering "is this still available " even after posting it had sold.
Huge pain IMO.
Mike
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2024 at 3:28pm
I see no logic to Facebook in anything I have looked at.  I look when family tells me they have put up pictures. Or to find one of those fabulous deals I am told are Market place. But they call 200 miles away local. Or put in the AC and nothing come up, but do it the next day and find a AC listed 2 weeks ago in town. And then never get a response from the guy listing.

I don't think I have ever bought from Market Place, have bought things from Craigslist though. But on a rainy day like today I may look, I could someday get one of those deals.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2024 at 9:47am
Hating myself already this morning.  SWORE would not ever advertise on FB MP ever again, Wife talked me into ONE LAST TRY.

Put KW on the listings, $75K, some photos.  So far after twenty minutes active one defeated Scammer attempt and then last night late, a Window Shopper.

Edited by DMiller - 04 Feb 2024 at 9:48am
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2024 at 12:47pm
Bought and sold a few things on Facebook. No real problems. Sold my 66 VW bug to a guy I swore was a scammer by what he offered over our price and where he was coming from. But a nice guy and loaded it up. Any platform like the will have its share of not so honest people. 
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2024 at 1:16pm
anytime I get replies, I say 'yes, will barter WHEN you show up' and 'cash offer good for tuesday morning' , or similar... peg them down to a morning or afternoon. when they don't show up, the deal is dead.

DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2024 at 2:14pm
Gawd so simple- set a time and place and a phone number- cant get that - no deal
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2024 at 5:05pm
to many never show up...
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2024 at 5:13pm
Son sold a few things through FB and has luck .
He listed a few of his skid loader attachments through it and also on E-Bay 
I bought a Ariens mower and snow blower off Marketplace (16 HP Kohler Engine - 2 stage blower, 54" 3 blade mower deck) at $300 price .
  Son has his JD compact tractor listed there now > Son has his tractor up for sale as it seems lack of snow here in MN has cut into his snowplow sales this winter . So to get material for his tree pullers and other equipment he wants to sell the tractor 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/253650831075753/?ref=messenger_share

2004 John Deere 4410 Utility tractor with 2200 hours. Unit is in very good condition for a 20 year old tractor. It was traded in from the 2nd owner who owned it form 400 hours old. Starts runs and drives very well. Has removable loader frame with very nice construction grade bucket. Has rear 3 point hitch and rear auxiliary hydraulics. Hydrostatic transmission.

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2024 at 7:51pm
I seems to be. It is a poorly run site in my opinion. 
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2024 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Hating myself already this morning.  SWORE would not ever advertise on FB MP ever again, Wife talked me into ONE LAST TRY.

Put KW on the listings, $75K, some photos.  So far after twenty minutes active one defeated Scammer attempt and then last night late, a Window Shopper.

yea,, why in the world do these jokers hafta respond in the middle of the night??I made a sarcastic comment on a truck for sale,,(not even an ad for mine) the guys friend tole him i had one for sale,, around midnight has to message me about it,,Censored

Edited by Michael V (NM) - 05 Feb 2024 at 12:22pm
GSTROM99 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSTROM99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2024 at 10:25am
Count me in with the "positive" FB responses. I don't mind the "extra" list search items, really.  The FB "re-sort" tab NEVER works though - like by price (esp) or distance.  That's when the extra weird items pop up.  I've bought and sold several items on Marketplace.  I usually ignore the "is it available" inquiries, or reply with a simple yes.  Being very rural here, I'm sure that helps.  CL seems to be dead, or at least overpriced, anymore.  What other choices for buying/selling is there, anymore?

Edited by GSTROM99 - 19 Feb 2024 at 10:28am
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2024 at 11:42am
Originally posted by GSTROM99 GSTROM99 wrote:

Count me in with the "positive" FB responses. I don't mind the "extra" list search items, really.  The FB "re-sort" tab NEVER works though - like by price (esp) or distance.  That's when the extra weird items pop up.  I've bought and sold several items on Marketplace.  I usually ignore the "is it available" inquiries, or reply with a simple yes.  Being very rural here, I'm sure that helps.  CL seems to be dead, or at least overpriced, anymore.  What other choices for buying/selling is there, anymore?

I sold a tractor on Facebook marketplace last winter in 20 minutes. In that time, I had 4 or 5 serious inquiries, one saying if your buyer doesn’t show up with a deposit tonight as you said call me and I’ll be there with full price cash and a trailer tomorrow! I was pretty skeptical about the buyer, his messages had that sketchy scammer feel about them. He said no no! No scam, I’ve only got a flip phone and it’s my buddy who’s interested he doesn’t do tech at all! Where else can you get that kind of traffic and response?

Anyway, I’ve had very good luck with marketplace. I’ve sold a couple things I thought wouldn’t move at all.   I get more scam traffic on Craigslist. I’ll shop on Craigslist but won’t list there. These are just my experiences.

Edited by Tbone95 - 19 Feb 2024 at 11:43am
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2024 at 7:49am
You need to look at the whole search, just like Ebay, Kijiji, Craigslist and every other sale site. You need to make sure you have entered a distance and entered the correct spelling (although I get hits from all the Allis Chalmers misspellings that are common like Alice Chambers).

I have bought and sold stuff on FB Marketplace and have had better results than any other site. There are spammers, but not as many as Craigslist, which got horrible the last few times I used it.

I have a feeling that the guys that badmouth FB Marketplace are the same ones that badmouth Facebook and most other social media.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2024 at 8:11am
OK, my complaint is that the 'search engine' is LOUSY !

search 'Willys FC150' and look at the top 20 or so results.

WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2024 at 9:07am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

OK, my complaint is that the 'search engine' is LOUSY !

search 'Willys FC150' and look at the top 20 or so results.

You are searching for something relatively rare. It would probably be similar to searching for an Allis Chalmers A. There just aren't a lot of them anywhere, especially ones for sale. 

I did do the search you requested. Of the first 50 results, 48 of them contained either Willys or Jeep. Two of the first 7 were exact matches (one was a truck, another was a manual) and two others were for a Willys FC170.

As with any of the similar sites, they search for exact words. 

By the way, I did the same search for Craigslist and got a "no postings" message.

WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2024 at 9:15am
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2024 at 9:23am
I do fairly decent on marketplace,---granted you have to deal with deadbeats and idiots but that is the norm everywhere so it dont bother me.--- some of their questions are kinda funny when they reply, so you just have to dig thru the garbage and go with sounds legit! lol! Dont give up on marketplace yet!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2024 at 1:48pm
Pretty sure if you searched for 'Allis-Chalmers A' you'd be upset at seeing GREEN tractors, blue cars and red tool boxes.......

ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2024 at 9:07am
I just put "Allis Chalmers A" in marketplace search and not one green unit showed up!!! ALL AC stuff!  Are you on a computer or phone? also some programs see stuff differently. I use Dell desktop computer, W-10, and Chrome for search. Dogpile also brings up same results.
iowallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2024 at 1:38pm
Facebook Market place seems to be about the only game in town. Craigslist doesn't seem to get much traffic anymore.

I am always looking for old pop and pinball machines. My pet peeve with Facebook is when I limit the search distance it never applies it. Look at a listing and it is 700 miles away instead of within 150 miles like I entered.

As far as scammers, when I list one of my rental properties I always require them to respond to an email address, not through messenger. This extra step weeds out most of the spammers
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2024 at 5:39pm
Ya I finally got the scammers to quit answering my ads!! and no you dont want to know how!! LOL I still laugh just thinking about it!
On the distance setting they bring up the closest ones first then they say results outside your area so thats where your 700 miles comes in. IF no results within 150 it automaticly goes to the outside areas. --- kinda sucks in a way cause you see something you really gotta have then its ROAD TRIP TIME lol!!!!!
iowallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2024 at 9:09am
Originally posted by ac fleet ac fleet wrote:

cause you see something you really gotta have 

My wife and I seem to disagree on that some (most?) of the time.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic