This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Facebook market place?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaredC(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Facebook market place?
    Posted: 07 May 2019 at 9:38am
I'm just old enough to be out of the loop and have no interest in joining a social media site (40ys) but seems a lot more people sell on Facebook market place than on Craig's list or ebay nowadays.

Probably missing out on some neat stuff.

Maybe some of the younger members can answer this question for me: is it able to be searched without just scrolling through all the other stuff on it? Is there any way to look at stuff without constantly being promoted to join?

Do I need to just suck it up and join if I want to browse/search it?

Jared
Sponsored Links

Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 9:43am
Not a big deal to join Facebook. Just email and a password. Don’t want to participate, don’t invite friends to connect and don’t accept any.
The marketplace has a search bar at the top for easy searching and you can add search filters as needed.
Would agree there are a lot of people using it.
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 10:31am
I am with you Jared (but have more yearsWink on you). My wife has a account cause of our kids and grandkids. Since she uses the same confuser some times ,has a book mark. So I open to see the grandkids pics,and snupe on rainy days, lol.

But a very disorganized  place in my thinking,cause you never know what order thinks will show up.

But I have got to where I try checking marketplace by using the search for key words like "tractor". But the users are Confused like the whole place,generally don't know a thing about what they are selling.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 11:06am
My wife has Facebook so I don’t have one. I go straight to market place. You have to act fast on good deals. I have mine set for 80 miles from home. Seems to be less scammers.
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 11:54am
Less scammers as you can see the sellers info. If they have only been on FB a short time, I avoid. Otherwise it works great.
bought and sold a few things, and yes you have to act quick.
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 12:52pm
My son just told me about Facebook market place . I just type in Allis Chalmers and see what's there . Pretty interesting . Some sellers don't seem to even know what model tractor they're selling .
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 7:58am
 Like others,,,I opened a FB account because grandsons told me,,"Thats how the younger generation communicates",,,then my younger brother told me bout The Marketplace and I agree with others,,,on a local level it is much better than Ebay,,,but,,,,YOU GOT TO ACT FAST and I mean FAST,,,!! There ai'nt no time for bargaining,,if you want the item and can get there quick you better do it. Most of them sellers are answerin several messages at a time and if you snooze,,you lose,,!! I have bought several items for dang good prices and Ya'll know how "Frugal" I tend to be,,,,,LOL 
 Fact is,,that is where I bought the TO-20 I'm workin on now,,,but,,,,but don't even ask what I gave for it,,,Wink
 Hey Jared,,,when you do join up,,,be very careful of everything you check mark,,,!!  I am going to have to go back and re-do my FB profile as I used an email I did not use too often and I recently got a message from them that the inbox was FULL,,I checked it out and there were over 10,000 nessages where every new post to the marketplace was going to my email I had used,,,!!!!!!!!  WHOA, try deleting all the thousands of emails ONE AT A TIME,,CHIT ,,,,
Good Luck,,,!!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 8:03am
  MORE,,,In this area,,,there are several different,,"Groups"  (I think bout 6 groups) that you have to join in order to see all the items available for sale in your area. Fact is I was a member of a group over to Thad's area for awhile but havent checked it out in a while,,,so you can do that also.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 8:48am
There are social groups, collector groups ( chainsaws, tractors, all kinds) etc. and thousands of  other groups that require an invite to get in. Marketplace can be set to any distance you are willing to travel. Mine is 60 miles but stuff comes in from Ia., IN. Mo., etc which is a bit more than 60 miles but some deals there are soooo tempting I gotta quit looking so much.
There is a LOT of scammers on there too!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 9:36am
Are still some scammers but they are pretty far between. Buddy asked me to check a Local listing, guy had an old Farmall he wants so I found the ad and called. No answer at first while reviewing price seemed a bit weak. Finally get the person to answer, Woman sounded Latino, gave me a runaround on tractor condition IE Running or not able to load etc. Then asked address as the map showed it close by. She rambled on as to being 'Out in the country', would not say where, told her not a issue would come by and she or husband could show me said No would be out of town(I gave no date) just send a money order they would deliver. Told my buddy, he thanked me for saving him the trouble. Phone number was no good two days later.
JaredC(WI) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaredC(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 9:44am
Yikes, sounds like a disorganized, hectic, and crapping thing that I wouldn't have time for anyway! Lol :)
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 10:49am

Aw man,,,you gave up too easily,,,,,,Wink

Edited by desertjoe - 08 May 2019 at 10:49am
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 11:00am
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

MORE,,,In this area,,,there are several different,,"Groups"  (I think bout 6 groups) that you have to join in order to see all the items available for sale in your area. Fact is I was a member of a group over to Thad's area for awhile but havent checked it out in a while,,,so you can do that also.

So am I in some kind of group???
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 11:34am
Thad that's poke stickable. Wink
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 7:17pm
You don't have to join any groups to see marketplace! ---Just click on home, then next screen that opens, click marketplace, when it opens you can go to the kind of lists  you want.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 10:13pm
 Hey AC,,,when I was going thru the "initiation" I was told I could see the ads,but had to join the group before I could post any messages to the sellers. May not be same rules everywhere tho,,,,
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 10:19pm
YES Thad, you're one of the 'Misfits' and should be proud of it!
That reminds me, we haven't changed officers for a couple of years now.
I spose the Prez likes his position and don't want to give it up.....

Ya, I'm on there too.  I joined for the Marketplace and now I have some friends from here and other tractor places.  I don't go on much, like here during the summer, but it's a good way to stay in touch.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Ron Eggen View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Eggen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 11:47pm
My wife has facebook , but I can't figure how to find Marketplace.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 6:06am
Market place has really taken off and has become the primary wheeling and dealing site for most people. The owners of Craigs list have nobody but themselves to blame as they never dealt with all the spammers. Facebook is like any other social media, stay away from the idiots and everything is just fine. However one is the type that must read everything that pops up they will indeed find sonething that ticks them off. As for figuring out how to use it hand your phone to anyone over the age of 6 and less than 30 and have them show you

Edited by Butch(OH) - 09 May 2019 at 6:08am
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 7:59am
 Hey Butch,,I agree with what you say bout Craigs list,,,,The last time they changed the search format,,,I tried it a time or two and gave up and have not gone back. Their search feature just terrible,,,! I ain't been back.
 I'm really liking The Marketplace cause most of the ads gots as many as 10 pics,,,Nice,,Clap But,,,if you want something,,,,you gotta act FAST,,,,,,Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic