This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Exhaust stack for HD16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exhaust stack for HD16
    Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 3:49pm
Bought a strait pipe for my 16 and thought I had the right size. Nope, too big. The stacks I find most everywhere are in even numbers. 3", 4" 5" and so on.

Can someone steer me to the right place where you found a good either straight pipe or turnout pipe that will fit.

The original muffler has a 4.75" OD for the stack to slide on. I found a few on a site I use for my Oliver tractor called Ag Pars Fast. I have one of theirs now and its pretty cheap and thin.

Thank you

HD16DC, Bobcat 863 Turbo, Oliver 1855, John Deere 855,
Sponsored Links

Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 9:08pm
So what if you make a wrap around sleeve out 3/32" material and slip in between for using a 5'' stack? Maybe if you cut a couple of pieces of 5" pipe... cut strips out for resizing and use up the 1/4'' space of difference. I hope I'm making myself understood.  I assume you're using a heavy duty clamp or two for 5" exhaust to wrap around to make it really tight...
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 5:38am
Doesn't your tractor have the Farr square multi hole air cleaner? If it did it will be as my HD7G where these had an 'Aspirator' which will have to be custom built IF you should want to add one. That unit sucked the collected dust off the air cleaner pre-cleaner section up the stack.

Again if it had one of these an adaptor to use a standard five inch would be appropriate.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 6:56am
Originally posted by Eric B Eric B wrote:

[COLOR=#ff6600" size="4]<span style="line-height: 27px;]So what if you make a wrap around sleeve out 3/32" material and slip in between for using a 5'' stack? Maybe if you cut a couple of pieces of 5" pipe... cut strips out for resizing and use up the 1/4'' space of difference. I hope I'm making myself understood.  I assume you're using a heavy duty clamp or two for 5" exhaust to wrap around to make it really tight...</span>[/COLOR]

Good idea Eric. I used exhaust wrap that you can wrap headers with as a gasket. Worked great however would not snug up enough with the pipe clamps and allowed stack to slide up and down. Metal wedges as you mention might be the way to go. Thank you.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 6:59am
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Doesn't your tractor have the Farr square multi hole air cleaner? If it did it will be as my HD7G where these had an 'Aspirator' which will have to be custom built IF you should want to add one. That unit sucked the collected dust off the air cleaner pre-cleaner section up the stack.

Again if it had one of these an adaptor to use a standard five inch would be appropriate.

Hello DMiller. My tractor goes it have that style. It has the Donoldson round 2 stage air filter with a straight air intake stack with clear dust bowl on top.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 7:16am
Vey good, just checking. Another alternative would then be to fab a adaptor to the muffler.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 7:50am
on mine the chrome stack was slightly larger than the muffler exit also.  you could make a bushing from exhaust piping.  on mine i cut vertical slits at the bottom of the chrome stack just a couple inches worth.  i used a pipe clamp and the slits give enough to allow the stack to tighten up but will allow it to slip of if a big limb gets under the riser and hits it as to not cause any damage.
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 8:48am
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Vey good, just checking. Another alternative would then be to fab a adaptor to the muffler.

Agree DMiller. thank you for the suggestion. Its the small things like this that bug me. thank you again.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 8:51am
Originally posted by CAL(KS) CAL(KS) wrote:

on mine the chrome stack was slightly larger than the muffler exit also.  you could make a bushing from exhaust piping.  on mine i cut vertical slits at the bottom of the chrome stack just a couple inches worth.  i used a pipe clamp and the slits give enough to allow the stack to tighten up but will allow it to slip of if a big limb gets under the riser and hits it as to not cause any damage.

Thank you Cal. I will try that. I can cut off a section of the pipe and use as a bushing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic