This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ENGINE YEAR??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 51WILLYS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ENGINE YEAR??
    Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 11:54pm
I just picked up a WD45 block today because my WC block has a small crack in it from previous owner who did not have antifreeze in it. Anyways the serial # on the block is 45-24827-G. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me the year of this engine just because im curious thanks. It came complete minus a head but needs rebuilt its been open for years.
Sponsored Links

wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 6:26am
Look on the main cap, there's a 2 didget number stamped in the caps with the year.  Should be anyways, though I thought I rembered seing it stamped in the machined surface on the bottom of the block...... though I just looked at a couple blocks and it's in the main cap on both.

Edited by wi50 - 27 Mar 2013 at 10:24am
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
51WILLYS View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 51WILLYS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 12:37pm
Main cap has a 34 on it as well as the machined surface of the block. One rod bearing cap has a 58 one of the other ones has a 67.
THE-MAN View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE-MAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 12:47pm
I think the Main cap stamping is to match the set of caps to the block. Like block stamped 13, and three 13 caps, well, there ya go. Maybe they had the year stamped in there too, I dunno.  I dont think allis did much to keep chassis and engine sn's  correlated so it would be a guess at best. As far as the rods go, as long as the cap and the rod numbers match, you are ok...either the same process as the mains, or they have been re conned at one point.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 2:43pm
Looks like a 1954 engine number. Take a look at this website for all sorts of Allis info.
http://people.clemson.edu/~wsmth/
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
51WILLYS View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 51WILLYS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 7:13pm
Thanks for the help and the link that's a useful site. I was just curious of the year that's all.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic