This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Electric Cars

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electric Cars
    Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 10:04am
Can anyone enlighten me on the appeal of electric cars? They are not clean energy......they run on coal, gas and nuclear energy.......which is already close to being maxed out as far as capacity is concerned.

The only thing remotely close to making sense to me would be a golf cart with solar panels placed on the roof. Perhaps a little commuter car built on a golf cart model. One you drive to work, park in the sun all day and then drive it home. But that only works in the summer.

Edited by modirt - 12 Nov 2020 at 10:05am
Sponsored Links

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 11:04am
Ya got me....Big tax credit?
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 11:14am
Just the Cool Aid drinkers that believe every word out of the propaganda machine better known as Main Stream News Media. Yep same cool aid loving crowd that wants most if not all hydro electric dams removed so the fish can swim up and down the rivers. 

But another part of the bad they never think or talk about is the source of the lithium used in the better rechargeable batteries. I believe every bit of the lithium is mined in third world countries that use slave labor mainly kids. 
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 11:26am
Two news stories today......Honda and cars.....Ford and electric delivery vans.

Travel range + recharge time = no go for me

Travel at night? (Maybe if headlights, tails, turns, etc are LED) AC in hot weather? Heat in winter? 

None of it makes any sense to me at all.

Edited by modirt - 12 Nov 2020 at 11:28am
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 12:54pm
First you have to accept the concept of Unicorns and the Easter Bunny... Once you got that, battery operated cars make a lot of sense.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Kiwi View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 2:39pm
and the battreys are not recylcable 
Tractors Allis EB,two C,diesel G
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 2:54pm
if two neighbours get them, hydro company has to upgrade the transformer on the pole...
when 6 neighbours do it, the 4800v feed has to be 'upgraded' !
it's all about taking money outta yer pockets...

BTW, if you have a 'highcap' charger installed, here in Ontario, the ENTIRE house gets inspected !!! Without highcap...it takes a FULL DAY to recharge a Tesla...
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
caledonian View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caledonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 4:10pm
Yeah. Lets convert all our diesel engines to electric here on the farm. Then when the grid won't keep up lets all invest in a generator powered by diesel to charge all the equipment up. Of course the battery bank for a 200 hp electric engine won't weigh much at all will it. And of course the expense of the change over will be quite cheap.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 4:18pm
BTW, Not enough Lead, or Cadmium, Lithium or Other minerals to make the batteries HERE so that means MORE foreign crap comes HERE.  Brought that up to a Libretard, spouted off as to Hydrogen Fuel Cells, those take High Dollar Metals as Palladium and Platinum, not really plentiful to that extent of every auto having the use of it.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 4:24pm
The medium size chargers are 30 amps 240 v which is what runs your electric cloths dryer.. The larger units are 50-60 amps which is the size of a larger welding machine plug. You need the larger unit if you want to full charge in 8 hours after running maybe 100 miles.. If your travel is 20 miles to work and 20 miles back ( 40 total) and you have 12 hours setting at home each day to charge, then you can use the smaller 20 amp chargers or medium 30 amp....... almost all are 240 volts.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 5:37pm
I know Steve, the problem is when you call in the electrician to 'just add a plug'... he's REQUIRED by law to inspect the entire house. Odds are really,really good  'something' will be wrong and ..'whole house rewiring' will be required...as ALL as to be 'up to current code'..... this is a HUGE money grab plain and simple.

BTW using your numbers... 30A x 240v x 8hrs would cost me 12 Canucks for the 'fillup' for those 100 miles...

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 5:43pm
The main reason that they are even on the market, is that the gubmint gives you and the maker a gubmint $UBSIDY!  As forrest would say, thats all I'm gonna say about that!Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 5:44pm
Not really so cost effective is it?

Here we have to add a Outside circuit(Wet Location) to charge electric vehicles, Just the box, plug, wiring and dedicated circuit would be in the thousands for a Certified and Registered Electrician to install.  Then as noted a Entire structure electrical inspection.  I can however offer a existing 50a 240v circuit in my workshop for that IF I were to ever even consider one of the Death trap Fire Bombs.  

Look up Tesla Fires, You Tube.  Can see the trucks or future tractors being SPECTACULAR as to fires.
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 7:03pm
I found this on the net about price of gas vs. electric car in Norway. Electric cars are popular in Norway-apparently because of punitive taxes against the gas car.
So get on board with the New Green Deal!

VW Golf
Import price: $21,500
CO2 tax: $3,750
NOx tax: $260
Weight tax: $2,500
Value-added tax: $7,000
Total retail cost: $35,000 (all other fees included)

VW e-Golf
Import price: $30,590
CO2 tax: $0 (tailpipe-based)
NOx tax: $0 (tailpipe-based)
Weight tax: $0 (exempt)
Value-added tax: $0 (exempt)
Total retail cost: $31,000 (all other fees included)

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 7:14pm
YEP... if you dont like something, just TAX it out of existance. .... in REALITY , the electic unit is 50% MORE expensive.
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 9:37pm
Black outs at night when everyone gets home from work and plugs in their electric cars. Solar power wont help in winter because you would need more batteries to store energy. I just don't think our power grid could handle it if a lot of people switch to electric vehicles.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 11:43pm
my niece has 3 electric vehicles. they live in Ray's land of the fruits and nuts. they recharge theirs with wind and solar energy. they have had them for years (brands unk) , they say no problems yet! if i find one in my price range, i'll buy one... and with the amount of wind we have here, i'll recharge that way, maybe some solar too. i already have alot of stuff here on solar. not very often does the charging not work on the stuff. depending on the price of what i may buy, i'm sure at my age i'll never recoop any savings off them. same way on a tractor like on Coke's entry on the forum.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 11:44pm
anyone have any info on GMC's new electric pickup?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 5:27am
well, the box fender lips and cab corners are probably already rusting out........

When bro gets the new Ford eStang or ePikup, he'll come see me ( nice gig..test drives/write about all new cars.....)

Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 6:02am
Highway use taxes are on fuel and gas, supposedly to maintain highways.  How are the electric vehicles paying their share for highway use?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 6:16am
They don't...
same problem,so I've been told, with American bigrigs on the Ontario highways, never filling up here....come from MI with car parts, drop off in Oshawa, cross back in at Buffalo,NY....roads used, no fuel bought...
While I like the 'idea' of electric vehicles( yes , I remember battery powered milk trucks...) unless they are overall environmentally AND economically  BETTER than 'gas', they are the wrong way to go.

What appalls me is needing a 150A alternator in a car... to power all the 'electronics'.
and still NO 42V cars.....

hmm, Mr. Sun's almost up... found this..
check the chart out !!!! 60 hrs to recharge a battery from a regular wall receptacle... ka-ching !

Edited by jaybmiller - 13 Nov 2020 at 6:29am

LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 7:02am
the one advantage they do offer is the ability to move the pollution away from heavy populated areas such as LA thereby easing the smog problem. 
everything has it's niche, solar, windmills, (really the same thing) etc, but none will ever replace fossil in bulk, even when heavily subsidized
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 8:54am
Fox Bus droning on in the background. Just reported electric car stocks up 5% to 7%.

So knowing there is no practical reason for buying one, that leaves the only other conclusion. Car companies and investors have their ear to the ground and can see this green deal coming.......meaning mandatory. You won't have a choice but to run a government mandated POS.

You Plugs supporters on board with that?
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 11:15am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

my niece has 3 electric vehicles. they live in Ray's land of the fruits and nuts. they recharge theirs with wind and solar energy. they have had them for years (brands unk) , they say no problems yet! if i find one in my price range, i'll buy one... and with the amount of wind we have here, i'll recharge that way, maybe some solar too. i already have alot of stuff here on solar. not very often does the charging not work on the stuff. depending on the price of what i may buy, i'm sure at my age i'll never recoop any savings off them. same way on a tractor like on Coke's entry on the forum.

Wink Well thanks I guess, never want to be short on fruits and nuts.LOL This fruity nut have a windmill in her yard?  The new guberment scam is "Green power provider" they buy "green electrons world wide" and plug it into the for profits wires and deliver it to you.  And the propaganda they just sent me said it will be cheaper than a for profit power provider.LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL 

ConfusedYES THE GREEN Confused ELECTRONS Confused is their words not mine.LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic