This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Economy tractor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed in TX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Economy tractor
    Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 8:34pm
A friend of a friend heard that I liked old tractors and wants to give me one. I went and looked at it today. The sticker says Economy Tractor, it looks like a Power King. It was rolled and some steering linkage is bent and broken. And then they left it sit in the fence row for "a few years". It doesn't look to me like it's worth cutting the bushes to pull it out except for scrap. Anyone know anything about these?
Thanks,
Ed
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 8:41pm
father in law had a friend who had 3 that did not run for a few years. gave me two if i fixed one for them. Big ones had 16 inch rear rims taht held tires like 3/4 ton truck. Front were narrow 12 inch rims. Ones i worked on had 16 HP kohler i think. Both the larger ones had two transmissions with 3 speeds on each box.  Both had a hydraulic pump belt driven off the crank so you had live hydraulics. One had a 3 point hitch. Nice little tractor really.  The had individual final drive gear reductions with a band brake on each side. About 1/2 the size of my B Allis. I ook on e-bay sometimes, parts bring good money.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 8:51pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
JoeO(CMO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(CMO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 8:59pm
I  would like to find one to fix up

BennyLumpkin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BennyLumpkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 9:37pm
they're pretty decent tractors....a buddy of mine has his grandfather's 14hp Economy....they were the Kubota of there day really...hydraulics, you could get buckets, belly decks, 3pt attatchments.....they were pretty handy.
Central PA Allis Express
1934 WC254
1945 WF
1945 WC135755
1951 WD68085
1953 WD45-150217
1957 WD45D-230744D
B110
D-17_Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-17_Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 10:54pm
THe Economy name was the name used for around the first decade. When they were restyled to the ones simular to the above picture they were called Power King. My grandfather bought one new in 64. I now have it. It's lasted through 4 engines and nearly 3 generations of hard use. All gear drive was the selling point. You practically couldn't stop one. Most normal attachments were availiable. I have the orriginal and a secound 48" deck and I just was given a cycle mower for them. Very tuff and dependable tractors. I retired it for my 620 with hydrostatic tranny for faster mowing or I'd still be using it daily. Very worth grabbing.
Ed in TX View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed in TX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 12:14am
Yep, it looks a lot like that one Steve. I might take her up on it. She also has an 8n with small trees growing through it and what looks like a small Cat dozer but it's surrounded by 4" to 6" trees. It's been there a while. I talked to her again this evening and it's sounding like she expects me to help her sell her other junk for this "free" tractor. I don't mind a little hard labor but I can't make happen what won't happen. If she wants real money for that other stuff it'll end there.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 9:36am
It's the right color.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 2:09pm
I have a 69 model Power King .Bought new , rebuilt 12 h p koeler once turned over twice,. Put spot sprayer on rear, used today.Mine has 12in front and24 rear tires .Has I H stamped on wheels. Tough little tractor. Restored about two years ago. Man in Vale N C deals in parts.
dadsdozerhd5b View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 5:01am
the economy is definately worth the effort if not only just for parts. get pics of the 8n and cat dozer as i may have some interest. thanks.
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2010 at 9:24am
Just cutt them out of the brush and hit with a pressure washer. it will make much more sellable. Always rember they ran when they were parked.
weiner43 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weiner43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 7:30pm
My grandfather bought a new Economy 5 HP hit and miss set up on a buzz rig way back in the late teens from I believe Sears. My brother still has it and restored it a few years ago. Because of the Economy name I run across a couple of Economy tractors at the Buckley Tractor Show Northern Michigan and they were about the size and reminded me somewhat of the F12-F14.
God bless our troops and the United States of America.

Pick your rut well, you may be in it a long time.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 8:57pm
The Economy (nee "Power King") was what you'd buy if you needed something taller and heavier than a Cub Cadet... quite a workhorse, and if I had a roller, I'd drop in this Volvo 2-cylinder diesel I've got sitting here... and make it a really neat beastie...

Seriously... if I were faced what that task, the very first thing I would do, is get the Dozer started and running... then use it to knock the trees down, then pull the tractors out.  I was 'challenged' by a friend to start an old D8 that'd been fencerowing for about 20 years... took me two days (no manuals, no help) to figure out how the pony motor and linkages all worked, got everything free'd up, stuck a battery and some fresh diesel in it, and had smoke on the horizon after about an hour of messin' around...  and the undercarriage and drivetrain was still good enough to rip out all the trees that'd grown up through the blade.
clovis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clovis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 4:30am
Definately worth saving, IMO. 

Seems like my grandfather's neighbor had one...awesome little tractor!!!! 
Warren(Oh) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warren(Oh) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 5:02pm
After reading these posts, you guys have convinced me that I should buy the Economy tractor I found last week. It has a front blade and cultivators as well as a plow and mower deck. 14hp for $1700. The old guy has an Allis Chalmers C, too, for $1400.
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 12:44pm
NEVER let the scraper have an old tractor....ooops...unless it's a JD! someone will want/need it for their project.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic