This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Early Gleaner rotaries ?'s

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Early Gleaner rotaries ?'s
    Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 10:06pm
Just how bad where the N's and the first R's. Where they better than there reputation?  Thinking about getting a second combine as a spare so to speak our primary one is a 92 R52.  My main thing is it must be liquid cooled one air cooled wonder was one to many. 
Sponsored Links

Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 6:43am
N5, N6, N7 Series III were good as were the R5, R6 and R7 all with Allis engines. Older N series with the updates weren't bad either which I would think most survivors have the updates.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Orange Blood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 7:17am
We ran the tar out of our N7, now it serves as a donor machine when it can.  It was exteremely reliable, yes it broke down, but we ran just shy of 3000 acres through it nearly every year, about 80% corn, 20% beans. Was running an L2, dealer wanted to demo a new N7 for us in '82 or '84 can't remember, it never went back to the dealer, and it retired in 2000. Ran a 8R36 corn head, and a John Deere row crop bean head on it, never ran wheat/grain table.  It really is worn out, the engine needs overhauled, and the new one had all the features this one didn't, but could have been added if we wanted to.  Personally I will always love the old 7, but then I never get to operate the new 72 either. :(
I should clarify, the 7 did go through bearings and wear parts faster than the L ever did, but, that's because things were built lighter in the '80s, than before.

Edited by Orange Blood - 15 Mar 2011 at 7:19am
Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
Projects: 3-U UC 2-G 2-B 2-C CA 7-WC RC WDLP WF D14 D21 210 7045 N7
niel ev View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niel ev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 9:29am
We run an N5and an N6 if we were to get another on I'd go with an N6 a little bigger machine the 6 has another auger under the cage it seems to move the grain better and not loose to much Niel
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 7:49pm
Bumping the topic back to the top I thought I would have gotten more input than I did.  I hope no one thought I was bashing them.
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 9:23pm
Dad had 2 N6 machines. An 81 and an 84. The 81 had a chopper and was used for beans. It pushed a 530 flex and later an 8030 flex with a Crary air reel. The 84's motor went down and it was replaced with a Cummins 6CTA. We replaced the cylinder stars with ones from a R52 on the left end. This gave a high/low bar setup and worked well to help seprate corn from shucks. Both machines had the augers lengthed out to 16'. The augers were cabled back thought the grain tank to help hold them.

We enjoyed running them but after 20+ years, bearing start going out more and more. It just got to the point that we were replaceing them just to much. They were great machines. Sad to see them go. We traded them in on a used 2002 R62. It was traded for a used 2008 R75. The engine in the R75 is -------- the only motor that should be built for anything from pickups and to freighttrains. When the beans get tough on a damp evening, this motor never pulls down. It is a steady ROAR! AGCO should put them in over the road trucks and soon.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 10:30pm
I haven't run em much in the field, but I sure have worked on a lot of em. People who had em, could get a lot of productivity out of them, but they seemed to be of the nature that a person with a little mechanical inclination and so to speak "A love of equipment" could have good luck with them, but if you just "run em", they could be problematic. Now that I am on the operating end of things, rather than the working on them end of things, I would buy one in a heartbeat,in fact I've got a deal pending on one right now. If you have a respect for equipment, and treat it the way it should be treated, early nseries can get the job done for you. If a person's main concern is how well the radio works, well, there could be problems. Darrel
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic