This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Early D14's and D14's above 19001 differences

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve(SEMN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Early D14's and D14's above 19001 differences
    Posted: 20 Mar 2011 at 2:25pm
I came up with nine differences. Can anyone think of any more.
1. Steering wheel
2. Steering wheel shaft.
3. 12 volt system
4. Longer pto lever
5. Drawbar bale wider
6. Mesh grill vs Black bar grill
7. Headlight shape is different
8. 93 teeth ring gear vs. 116 teeth ring gear.
9. D14 decals
Additions from Rich
10. Bolts vs Studs on the adjustable wfe
11. Bigger tail lights not the bullets
12. Four blade vs the five blade fan
13. Front crank pulley no longer having the crank provision
14. New style key starter vs the push button 

Edited by Steve(SEMN) - 21 Mar 2011 at 3:42pm
Sponsored Links

RichinWis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichinWis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2011 at 3:12pm
The wide fronts are different too bolt clear through verses a stud with a nut on it, also the tail lights are big like on an early D17, and most of them had the 5 blade fan after that number, also the front crank pulley no longer had the crank provision in it, was set up for a front mount pump, and had the new style key and no starter button. HTH
caRon View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caRon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2011 at 5:14pm
I've been wanting a d14 and was just thinking about this earlier today, "what the differences are". Ron 
CA Tractor
RichinWis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichinWis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2011 at 6:54pm
If you want to get picky the cowl around the radiator is different for the black bar grille also.
RichinWis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichinWis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2011 at 7:15pm
I think that at that serial number on the front bolster they tarted putting in the bronze bushing so the casting wouldn't wear near as fast
Chalmersbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chalmersbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2011 at 8:56pm
Most of the changes are the same as on the later D15. I was looking at the differences between the D14 and D15 yesterday. I got my D14 loader on the D15 yesterday. One side arm fit in the barcket, and the other one fell along side (inside) it.  wprks great Bob
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2011 at 9:23pm
My 1958 and 59 both have the same ignition switch with no push button (both original).  59 Wide front has 2 square headed bolts closest to each wheel.  58 Only has 1.
My 59 also has the lift arm latches that have the hole in them for the plow rod that goes between them.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 8:23am

I see you have the 12V system listed. Very true there. As the years & the series progressed, there were a lot of small revisions and additions to the electrical systems. That's why when I get a customer that wants a wiring system, I go over all the components and accessories the Tractor has with the customer and build the system to his or her particular tractor. Especially the D14's!

Steve@B&B
TedBuiskerN.IL. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TedBuiskerN.IL. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 9:54am
My 58 is six volt, but has the turn key starter.
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of high explosives.
BrettPhillips View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrettPhillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 12:16pm
The later D14's had the external adjustment for the lift-lower lever.  Also, the later tractors had an improved lubrication system for the power director input shaft. We could fill pages with the differences!  Fortunately, most of the changes were relatively minor and could be swapped into the older tractors.
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 12:31pm
We got a D/14  in may of 57  and took it back for changes . Put on 5 blade fan  ,changed switch ,filter on lift and put a chain  to pull  hook on snap coupler, it had a bar to start with . May be some i can't remwender
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic