This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Early Allis Chalmers pull grader

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citan007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Early Allis Chalmers pull grader
    Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 4:27pm
I have a Pull Be Hind Power Controlled grader that was sold by Allis Chalmers. There are no decals on it anymore, but you can tell it was an Allis from the shape of where the decal was. It does have a small brass tag on it saying Allis Chalmers Manufacturing Co. and the model number 14508. The design of it leads me to believe that this particular grader was built before Allis took over the Ryan Manufacturing Co. and then sold under the Allis name. Here is a couple pictures:

I have the four cylinder engine for it, but the mounting framework has disappeared long ago. I am trying to get this machine back into working order. I was wondering if anyone has seen or know of another one of these anywhere so I can get pictures of a complete machine.

Edited by citan007 - 04 Jun 2010 at 4:28pm
Sponsored Links

LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 5:08pm
Dale Haymaker has something very similiar to that (or did two year ago), but I do not know if it is the same.
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 7:19pm
According  to the good book by Mr. Swinford, you have a number 14 truss-frame power controlled grader (1932). The correct engine is the 100.5 cu.in A-C two cylinder (half a 201 WC engine). I've only ever seen two of these engines. Paul Pelton in Delta Ohio has one. The grader it came from is still in Alaska.
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
Jacob (WI,ND) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob (WI,ND) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 8:22pm
Now there is something I have never seen! Neat!  Keep us posted on progress!
Jacob Swanson
1920 6-12; 1925,1926 20-35 longfenders; 1925,1926 15-25's; 1927,1929 20-35 shortfenders; C; B's; IB; WC's; WD; WD45
citan007 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citan007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 9:13pm
This grader was my grandfathers and he bought it from some mining outfit I would guess in the mid to late 1940's. My dad and I picked the grader up from my great uncles' place and my uncle said that him and my grandfather took the engine out to rebuild it, but never got around to it and stored it in the shed. The engine that I have a four cylinder Le Roi Engine. I don't know if this engine came with this specific grader or not, but it does fit. The only problem is the motor mounting framework is missing. Here are a few pictures of the motor.

I have found the original patent drawings for this type of grader, but they don't show the motor mounting system very well. All I need are a couple of pictures of what the motor mount consists of I can build it myself.
Jacob (WI,ND) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob (WI,ND) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 10:11pm
Neat!  Some new spark plugs, and she'll fire right up, LOL!  Did they get the parts to rebuild it when they took it out by chance?  That would be cool.  I would imagine it is hard to find parts for LeRoi's these days?  Guess I don't really know.  I do know they used LeRoi's in early AC tractors, guys that have those tractors should be able to help with info for parts.  
Do you know what went wrong with the engine?
Hope you find some info on the mounting brackets, I can't help, but someone here must be able to.  If you don't get some info soon, put a link over to the "Farm" section of this site.  There is more activity there, and a better chance of it being seen.
Did you PM Dale?

Edited by Jacob (WI,ND) - 04 Jun 2010 at 10:12pm
Jacob Swanson
1920 6-12; 1925,1926 20-35 longfenders; 1925,1926 15-25's; 1927,1929 20-35 shortfenders; C; B's; IB; WC's; WD; WD45
citan007 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citan007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 2:03pm
I don't believe they had the parts to rebuild it, but as I was told the engine hardly had an  compression left to operate the controls. I haven't opened the engine up yet to see what it looks like inside. The engine turns over so it is not stuck. I does need new spark plugs, water hoses, fan belt, and some radiator work other than that it is in very good shape.
The grader besides the motor mounts needs 14 new u-joint knuckles which are a three piece design that consists of two fingers with caps welded on collars, 7-8 new u-joints  which the original ones are I believe are cast from lead (the others are a dark gray in color and no corrosion at all), and a few control rods. All these parts go for the controls to offset the tongue and lean the front wheels. the gear boxes on the front need to be taken apart and fixed.
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2010 at 9:07pm

Here is the engine you need.

Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
citan007 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citan007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2010 at 9:29am
That is a good looking engine Calvin. The grader I have may or may not have had one of those originally. The picture of the engine you posted shows that it is set up for a chain drive mine is set up for a belt drive. It could be that the grader was upgraded to the bigger engine from the factory or where it was delivered. You can see the pulley in the picture. Also another odd thing is fuel tank. The way it is mounted looks like it was placed there as a modification, so it could be that this grader did come with the smaller motor and they modified the grader to have the bigger motor.
ed malcom View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ed malcom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2010 at 10:00pm
The two cyl le roi has ball beari9ngs on the crank and cam. It was first made in 1928 ion two and four cyl and either 2 3/4 or 2 7/8 bore. I know from parts books of 43 variations of these and there is no way of knowing the difference as all le roi records were destroyed in 57 when waukesha bought the company. The internals were all the same,Look on the side of the block in the area of the water return and there should be casting numbers that are the casting date. I have 33 le roi engines and lots of info.  Ed Malcom the le roi man in southwest mo
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic