This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dry cracked hands

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dry cracked hands
    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 5:32am
What to use? I know we’ve covered this but I can’t remember all the good stuff.
Got a bad case this year. Finger tips all split.
Can’t get my hands clean from all the cracks.
Getting sore.
Got one finger Tip been peeling and bleeding for a month or so.
Spring is here and I’m ready to get past this.
Sponsored Links

TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 5:47am
Corn huskers, good stuff,my hands used to crack & split so bad they would bleed.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 5:52am
swallow at least 2000-3000 Vitamin D pills a day ! as well as lots of hand cream, any hand cream, often. put vitamin E cream on as well, overnight 's a great time for that
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 6:16am
Corn Huskers is good. Bag Balm (square green can) from your local farm supply. Wally World used to sell a product called Udderly Smooth in a black and white tube or jar. As much as you can use gloves to protect your hands, especially from any chemicals that you use on the job.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
ford8nwd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ford8nwd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 6:22am
I used to cut the fingers off leather gloves and coat my fingers with heavy amounts of Vaseline at night. I mean HEAVY, as much as I could put on. I could really tell the difference the next morning.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 6:22am
Okeefs working hands is pretty good. Have thumb issues cracked and trying to get them healed up too. Always this time of the year. 
Good luck and take care of those hands!
 Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 6:29am
Cetaphil
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 6:55am
I'll second O'Keefe's. The O'Keefe's Working Feet paste seems to work faster, in my opinion.
If they get to the point of cracking open, I put a dab of Neosporin, (triple antibiotic cream) on them an wrap with medical tape at bedtime. By morning will start to heal enough that it shouldn't be like an open wound. And the tape will hold enough moisture to soften the skin around it.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 7:22am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

swallow at least 2000-3000 Vitamin D pills a day ! as well as lots of hand cream, any hand cream, often. put vitamin E cream on as well, overnight 's a great time for that
Man, that's a LOT of pills!!!Wink
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 7:33am
Vitamin D does it.
In the winter, you get less of it from the sunlight, so ya need a little supplement. I kno y'all going to say that your hands catch more rays than any other part of your body, and they are the problem. Well vitamin D within your body is what takes care of your hands, not the direct sunlight on them. You could bare your ass in the sunlight all day long, and keep your hands covered, and the vitamin D soaked up through your backside is going to help your hands. Darrel
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 7:39am
Originally posted by darrel in ND darrel in ND wrote:

Vitamin D does it.
In the winter, you get less of it from the sunlight, so ya need a little supplement. I kno y'all going to say that your hands catch more rays than any other part of your body, and they are the problem. Well vitamin D within your body is what takes care of your hands, not the direct sunlight on them. You could bare your ass in the sunlight all day long, and keep your hands covered, and the vitamin D soaked up through your backside is going to help your hands. Darrel
Now I'm confused....I thought that was where the sun don't shine?Wink
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 7:41am
Sound disgusting but works . Coat your hands in petroleum jelly, really thick . Pull on some gloves you can throw away and sleep with them a couple nights in a row. 0nly way I could heal my hands when I was growing up on the farm in the winter.
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 7:54am
Used to buy cheap brown jersey gloves in the dozen bag for that very use. It beats bleeding all over your pillow case and sheets.
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 8:24am
Originally posted by Pat the Plumber CIL Pat the Plumber CIL wrote:

Sound disgusting but works . Coat your hands in petroleum jelly, really thick . Pull on some gloves you can throw away and sleep with them a couple nights in a row. 0nly way I could heal my hands when I was growing up on the farm in the winter.

Buy the Vaseline brand petroleum jelly, not an after market brand, there is a difference with some of then, it dose promote healing. Soap and water first, dry the area, Vaseline and a bandaid is what I put on my minor injuries. 
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 8:26am
I've used most of the things mentioned here, most worked to some degree. Vanicream is another good one. Neosporin helps me the fastest. Corhuskers smells so bad to me I only put it on once and threw it away!

Cracked hands/fingers can be a symptom of psoriasis. I fought with it for years, what a pain. High dollar steroid cream helped, prescribed by a dermatologist I wasn't too crazy about. At least now I'm 'cured' and don't have to go anymore.

Crazy part about this is when I went on the low-carb diet my hands got better. They were getting better before I started but have gotten back to normal now. I barely use any lotion nowadays.

Good luck, cracked fingers is a real drag!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 8:31am

I posted on this some time ago. Now, while mine never bled any  they cracked so bad they looked like alligator skin and them lady cashiers was always lookin and pointin,,,,!!!!  My biggest issue was the cracked skin was always hanging up on anything and that would HURT,,!!  I tried lots of different things and finally settled on O'Keeffe's Working Hands. After bout a month the cracking finally went away.
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 9:07am
     I have had pretty fair results from Cera Ve hand cream. A bit expensive though but what isn't any more. I think the vitamin D helps too.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 9:29am
I tried my wife's bath and body works body cream a few times, and it works about the best of all I've tried. My hands are in chemicals all day, and winter is a bad time. I use the winter candy apple as it doesn't stink like the other "flavors" she has lol! Now I get a couple of tubes of it for Christmas lol! Laugh all you want, but it works great!
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 9:33am
Doc has me taking 50000iu vitamin D once a week. Doesn't do chit for cracked thumbs.
Keep it wrapped up and neosporin on it and try not to bang it around.
Trying to get the right one healed up, been giving me grief for 2 months.

Edited by fixer1958 - 08 Mar 2021 at 9:56am
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 9:47am
Even though I use CeraVe... i agree with the ones who said most of the creams do something but ya gotta keep your hands and fingertips greased all the time, not just a once a day application.
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 9:52am
  Which ever cream you use just make sure you keep your hands coated with it to get them healed.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 10:49am
Originally posted by fixer1958 fixer1958 wrote:

Doc has me taking 50000iu vitamin D once a week. Doesn't do chit for cracked thumbs.
Keep it wrapped up and neosporin on it and try not to bang it around.
Trying to get the right one healed up, been giving me grief for 2 months.
I have Vitamin D problems as well, and been prescribed that dosage, also didn't do much for my symptoms.  Got to talking with my Chiropractor (laugh if you want, but she is an amazing and extremely smart Dr.)  According to her, the D you get from the pharmacy is in the wrong form to be properly used by your body, and she gave me some that was actually a little lower iu, but it actually worked after a couple weeks.  
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 12:15pm
I vote for Bag Balm. Used it on my hands and also on my heels. Very effective. Many drug stores carry it.
Jack of all trades, master of none
iowallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by injpumpEd injpumpEd wrote:

I tried my wife's bath and body works body cream a few times, and it works about the best of all I've tried. My hands are in chemicals all day, and winter is a bad time. I use the winter candy apple as it doesn't stink like the other "flavors" she has lol! Now I get a couple of tubes of it for Christmas lol! Laugh all you want, but it works great!

I use my wife's B&BW "gentle foaming hand soap" on my greasy/oily hands and it works better than the hand soaps made for greasy/oily hands or Dawn dishwashing soap. Plus my hands smell pretty good also. Was laughed at on a work site until my coworkers tried it.

As far as hand creams my dad would get some stuff from a neighbor who was an electrical lineman for the power company, in a tube and started with a "P". Then I used "VANICREAM" that was OTC in the local ShopKo pharmacy. Haven't seen it since once they closed up. Now it is either some men's B&BW hand lotion or unscented whatever from WalMart due to working in a food processing facility and can't use anything scented.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 5:04pm
You can try a cheap clean motor oil for greasy hands. It will  cut that old grease real well. After that use a hand soap that really suds up and in a few minutes you'll be good to go.    Leon
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 6:03pm
Look up Randol Honey farm. All natural hand lotion. We ship it all over the USA.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 8:18pm
I use Udder Balm to keep my hands from cracking open in winter. Here is a link.https://www.lambertvetsupply.com/Udder-Balm-3-oz-Tube_p_32357.html
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 4:47pm
Work Carmex into the cracks
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 7:11pm
Udder Balm from farm supply store , now wife used glycerin and worked well into hands , then put on thin cotton gloves when she worked in envelope factory and paper dried out her hands. 
 later is was Avon skins so soft lotion . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 10:14pm
more sex!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic