This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Driveway or easement?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Driveway or easement?
    Posted: 25 Jan 2024 at 10:21am
Probably varying opinions on this and that’s ok. I’m just curious what y’all think and why. I’ve got a piece of land with a sizable wooded area in the back. I have a person who wants to buy the woods. I am debating whether to sell him a driveway off to the side of my field or to establish an easement. Would have to be surveyed either way so I don’t think upfront cost is an issue.
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2024 at 10:36am
If 'easement' YOU must maintain roadway 24/7/365 no matter what the weather conditions are and YOU don't get any holidays.
If the 'road' is part of HIS 'wooded land', then YOU can sit in nice warm house while HE plows HIS driveway......
Don't know what part of Michigan you're in ,but some areas get LOTS of  snowflakes !

Either way, be sure there's a fence/barrier in between. Some uninvited friends of his friends might decide to 'play' on YOUR land with their monster trucks.....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2024 at 11:03am
Trust me, he’s no snowflake.

We did get about 18 inches worth of them a couple weeks ago though!

And maybe you “have to”, but I see a lot of them that aren’t!

Edited by Tbone95 - 25 Jan 2024 at 11:04am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2024 at 11:13am
yeesh, 1  1/2 ' of snow...you must have got all mine then ! Thank you ! I've only puseh 2-3 INCHES this winter, even now , that's melting. and making it very,very foggy here today.

Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2024 at 11:24am
Consult your local township about what they may require if you sell. Does this track of land border another road? Not sure on MI laws, but there may be different responsibilities/requirements if classified as ‘easement’ vs ‘right of way’.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2024 at 11:27am
Keep in mind, this guy may be great and all that, but in a few years he may sell to a complete a-hole, or worse yet a solar or wind developer.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2024 at 11:41am
from the other side of the fence...

3 decades ago I didn't buy a few acres as it only had a 'right of way ' or 'easement',so if the owner died, I'd have ZERO access to the land.

for sure check local laws and 'wording' !!!

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2024 at 12:29pm
State put in a new HIGHWAY and there was no access to some ground BEHIND my Father in Law...  Father in Law gave him an EASEMENT  at the edge about 200 ft long so the guy could get back to HIS PROPERTY... He takes care of the road or he dont get in... We still cut the grass along the  driveway as we always had done..

HIS ground has been sold 3 times in 40 years... Father in law died 10 years ago....The plan just keeps rolling along, no problems.

Edited by steve(ill) - 25 Jan 2024 at 12:31pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2024 at 1:15pm
No other way to get to the land than through the field part.

Easements transfer here, it’s illegal to sell landlocked property

For sure I’ll be checking with the township, just gathering thoughts.

I’m leaning towards driveway, just be done with it.
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2024 at 5:53pm
Don't know if there would be any difference, but there may be a requirement for how wide that access strip has to be.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2024 at 2:12am
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

...Easements transfer here, it’s illegal to sell landlocked property...

This is the key element.  Every state has land access laws, and the ownership of land has provisio for access REGARDLESS of wether there is a formal easement, or not, so the sensible action is to set forth the easement in writing, so there's no question.

An easement is 'blanket permission' to cross property. An easement can be (and usually is) committed to people OTHER than the person OTHER than the person you sell to... i.e. a utility company...  and becomes part of the property, they're durable... once you commit the easement, you cannot recind it, it can only be recinded by whomever it is granted... and usually they don't.

What WILL inevitably occur, is that BOTH a driveway AND an easement will appear- the driveway for access, and the easement for any utilities or services.  That includes fixed utilities (electricity, water, communications, etc) and public services (police, fire, ambulance, mail).  Even if you sell it just for purpose of hunting, that will eventually change.

The wise choice, if you're selling, is to survey it all out, establish the driveway, and leave the buyer to commit their easements.  This first gives them unfettered access to the property, second gives them a path for all easements WITHOUT need for crossing your property, and finally, leaves you free of any liabilities to them.

But regardless of HOW you do it, make certain you establish any future easements on the property you SELL... that YOUR property will need.   If your electrical power, telephony, etc., passes through that parcel, or you have a fenceline access or pasture, or flowage, that needs to be committed to the property by you before you sell.

Is there any place on YOUR property where you do any aerial spraying, or other low flight?  If so YOU need to include in the sale an Avigation Easement... which is an easement that restricts elevation of anything which would restrict approach, departure, or maneuvering.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2024 at 6:52am
Will be surveyed this year sometime assuming I can rub a couple coins together.

The total amount of land I own at the location is 40 acres. The portion to be sold I’d estimate to be about 15, plus whatever I do with the driveway. The driveway would be on the north side a bit less than 1/4 mile long. There’s a hunting property behind that with a private driveway, would be great if we could strike some sort of deal with those guys but highly doubtful. The good news is that electrical already goes down that drive. The property doesn’t touch anything else I own, no buildings, no fence, no water, no aerial spraying…. Does have a power line running through it.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2024 at 7:21am
What Jay says about easements, is not the way it is in New York State. I'm sure laws vary by state.
In New York, an easement can be given for several different reasons. One of my neighbors leases some wooded land, behind his tillable land, for hunting. The hunting club that leases has use of the easement certain times of the year, for the sole purpose of accessing the land.
Power lines, gas lines, internet providers, phone companies and highways commonly have easements and their easements only provide access. No maintenance is required by the landowner, but, in some cases, you must allow the person/company that has the easement to do maintenance (at no expense to the landowner).
If you allow an easement, you own the land and pay taxes on the land, but often (especially in the case of utilities) the easement owner is responsible for the taxes on poles, wires, pipelines, etc. on the easement.
Easements are a permanent addendum to your deed and can only be removed by the easement holder asking that the easement be removed (often done when an unused road is "abandoned").
Check with an attorney to see what protects your interests best. 
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2024 at 7:24am
Originally posted by WF owner WF owner wrote:

What Jay says about easements, is not the way it is in New York State. I'm sure laws vary by state.
In New York, an easement can be given for several different reasons. One of my neighbors leases some wooded land, behind his tillable land, for hunting. The hunting club that leases has use of the easement certain times of the year, for the sole purpose of accessing the land.
Power lines, gas lines, internet providers, phone companies and highways commonly have easements and their easements only provide access. No maintenance is required by the landowner, but, in some cases, you must allow the person/company that has the easement to do maintenance (at no expense to the landowner).
If you allow an easement, you own the land and pay taxes on the land, but often (especially in the case of utilities) the easement owner is responsible for the taxes on poles, wires, pipelines, etc. on the easement.
Easements are a permanent addendum to your deed and can only be removed by the easement holder asking that the easement be removed (often done when an unused road is "abandoned").
Check with an attorney to see what protects your interests best. 

YEP!
iowallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2024 at 11:20am
If you go the easement route, does the guy plan on using it for hunting only? Or plan on building a house/shop/hunting lodge/whatever back there. Are you okay with it if he does? 

May want to check into having it be an "agricultural use only" or "recreational use only" type easement if you are not interested in having the type of traffic (regularly) that a residence has instead of what a hunting ground (infrequent) traffic would have.
Dirt Farmer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirt Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2024 at 12:45am
Maybe reading into this but were you contemplating selling some acreage before this person inquired. If not, why bother selling, good first impression today but wait till all their friends show up at all hours to go 4 wheeling and partying or bringing out the tannerite. Trees and fences make great neighbors.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2024 at 6:33am
After reading through the responses, I believe if I wanted to sell the acreage I would sell a driveway too if it's not too inconvenient. That way you're not responsible for their access and their property line is established. Can't argue it if something on your land gets destroyed. If a driveway doesn't suit you I wouldn't sell if I didn't have to
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2024 at 7:24am
Originally posted by Dirt Farmer Dirt Farmer wrote:

Maybe reading into this but were you contemplating selling some acreage before this person inquired. If not, why bother selling, good first impression today but wait till all their friends show up at all hours to go 4 wheeling and partying or bringing out the tannerite. Trees and fences make great neighbors.

Yes, I was. I could really use some $$$ and I’ll never get use of this land. Too sandy to bother cleaning, timber isn’t great and I’d hate to see that happen anyway.

The concerns about partying and ripping around with quads and monster trucks are perhaps a common problem, but I would be beyond immensely surprised if that happened.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2024 at 7:25am
Originally posted by thendrix thendrix wrote:

After reading through the responses, I believe if I wanted to sell the acreage I would sell a driveway too if it's not too inconvenient. That way you're not responsible for their access and their property line is established. Can't argue it if something on your land gets destroyed. If a driveway doesn't suit you I wouldn't sell if I didn't have to

Ya Tyler, that’s where I’m leaning. Thanks.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2024 at 7:40am
Maybe the guy you're thinking of selling is 'OK' but 3 months later, he has to sell and THAT new guy is a huge jerk.....sets up a meth plant,patries til next day, loud music,..
A lot depends on how far away the 'land for sale' is from your house and your neighbours is.
Heck, if you need the coins or forced to sell, you roll the dice. Just want you to have  'open eyes' before you sign on the dotted line

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2024 at 8:25am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

Maybe the guy you're thinking of selling is 'OK' but 3 months later, he has to sell and THAT new guy is a huge jerk.....sets up a meth plant,patries til next day, loud music,..
A lot depends on how far away the 'land for sale' is from your house and your neighbours is.
Heck, if you need the coins or forced to sell, you roll the dice. Just want you to have  'open eyes' before you sign on the dotted line

Haha, well yeah, it’s over 1/2 mile away, I’ve got them closer than that already!
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2024 at 1:07pm
Here in Calif the selling of the road is generally not allowed, as planners/building code people have a problem with "FLAG LOTS".  Why I don't know why, but ran into it when settling my parents estate and dividing land.

I think it makes sense to sell the land under the access road. Probably part of the reason the "woke" in charge in government here don't like it. It makes sense.

As was stated easements are treated different in different place. Here all maintenance of the road on the easement is the easement owner's responsibility.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 8:21am
Originally posted by Ray54 Ray54 wrote:

Here in Calif the selling of the road is generally not allowed, as planners/building code people have a problem with "FLAG LOTS".  Why I don't know why, but ran into it when settling my parents estate and dividing land.

I think it makes sense to sell the land under the access road. Probably part of the reason the "woke" in charge in government here don't like it. It makes sense.

As was stated easements are treated different in different place. Here all maintenance of the road on the easement is the easement owner's responsibility.

To be honest Ray, I don’t really follow what you’re saying….but to clarify, there currently is no road or driveway to the wooded area in back, one would just drive across the field. Whatever I would call it, it would be along the north border.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 8:56am
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Originally posted by Ray54 Ray54 wrote:

To be honest Ray, I don’t really follow what you’re saying….but to clarify, there currently is no road or driveway to the wooded area in back, one would just drive across the field. Whatever I would call it, it would be along the north border.

Tbone, I think what Ray is implying is, some areas in this country any type of ‘rural development’, ‘urban sprawl’, etc., is tightly controlled by township boards, village planners, civil engineers, and so on. The term ‘Master Plan’ is what many of these governmental agencies stealthy operate under. The urban sprawl believe or not is tightly controlled as for what will be allowed to be constructed in certain areas, if that development is too much in conflict of what those behind the scenes want to see. Is your region under the control of these stealthy operatives?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 9:08am

I am going to guess that T-bone is WAY TO RURAL to worry about the "rules and regulations".. but worth checking into locally.

Flag lots are plots of land named for their resemblance to a flagpole, with a long, slender strip (typically just a driveway) extending from the street up to a rectangular main section. The main part of the lot is surrounded by neighbors on all sides, with no street frontage (beyond the driveway), which can be a positive or a negative depending on your preferences. Flag lots are frequently considered undesirable by homebuyers — and thus, they are often cheaper than more standard-shaped lots.

Cons of a flag lot

There are disadvantages to flag lots as well, including:

• Access issues: Single driveways tucked between two street-fronting homes can be hard to spot from the street, which may make it tricky for guests — and service or emergency vehicles, like a delivery truck or an ambulance — to find the home. In addition, the driveway “flagpoles” tend to be narrow, which makes it easy for them to be obstructed by tree branches, flooding or snowdrifts.
  • Possible need to extend utility lines: Due to the unique shape of these lots and their distance from the curb or street, you may have to pay for the cost of extending utility lines to the property.
  • Lack of curb appeal: Because these lots have no street frontage, they have no curb appeal to speak of, which tends to make them less desirable. 
  • Zoning issues: Many jurisdictions do not allow flag lots because they can allow for an increase in density that the area’s zoning did not anticipate, among other reasons. And if an area’s zoning unexpectedly changes, these lots may potentially become unbuildable.
  • Lot-size requirements: Many areas have minimum-lot-size requirements for home construction. Due to their unique configuration, and depending on where bordering property lines fall, flag lots may not meet the required size. The pole may actually be excluded from the calculation of lot size.

Edited by steve(ill) - 28 Jan 2024 at 9:11am
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 9:30am
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

<h2 style="border: 0px solid; margin: 4rem 0px 2rem; padding: 0px; line-height: 1.15; letter-spacing: -0.021875rem; font-family: CircularStd-Bold, Arial, sans-serif;"><span style="border: 0px solid;"><font size="5" style="">I am going to guess that T-bone is WAY TO RURAL to worry about the "rules and regulations".. but worth checking into locally.</span></h2><h2 style="border: 0px solid; margin: 4rem 0px 2rem; padding: 0px; line-height: 1.15; letter-spacing: -0.021875rem; font-family: CircularStd-Bold, Arial, sans-serif;"><span style="border: 0px solid;"><font size="5" style="">Flag lots<font size="4" style="font-weight: 400;"> are plots of land named for their resemblance to a flagpole, with a long, slender strip (typically just a driveway) extending from the street up to a rectangular main section. The main part of the lot is surrounded by neighbors on all sides, with no street frontage (beyond the driveway), which can be a positive or a negative depending on your preferences. Flag lots are frequently considered undesirable by homebuyers — and thus, they are often cheaper than more standard-shaped lots.</span></h2><h2 style="-sizing: inherit; border: 0px solid; margin: 4rem 0px 2rem; padding: 0px; line-height: 1.15; font-size: 2.25rem; letter-spacing: -0.021875rem; color: rgb21, 21, 21; font-family: CircularStd-Bold, Arial, sans-serif;"><span style="-sizing: inherit; border: 0px solid; font-weight: 400;">Cons of a flag lot</span></h2><p style="-sizing: inherit; border: 0px solid; margin: 0px 0px 2rem; padding: 0px; font-size: 18px; color: rgb81, 82, 96; font-family: CircularStd-Book, Arial, sans-serif;"><span style="-sizing: inherit; border: 0px solid;">There are disadvantages to flag lots as well, including:</span>

<ul style="-sizing: inherit; border: 0px solid; margin: 0px 0px 2rem 1.25rem; padding: 0px; color: rgb81, 82, 96; font-family: CircularStd-Book, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;"><li aria-level="1" style="-sizing: inherit; border: 0px solid; margin-bottom: 1rem; font-size: 18px;"><span style="-sizing: inherit; border: 0px solid; font-weight: 700; font-family: CircularStd-Bold, Arial, sans-serif;">Access issues: </span><span style="-sizing: inherit; border: 0px solid;">Single driveways tucked between two street-fronting homes can be hard to spot from the street, which may make it tricky for guests — and service or emergency vehicles, like a delivery truck or an ambulance — to find the home. In addition, the driveway “flagpoles” tend to be narrow, which makes it easy for them to be obstructed by tree branches, flooding or snowdrifts.</span><li aria-level="1" style="-sizing: inherit; border: 0px solid; margin-bottom: 1rem; font-size: 18px;"><span style="-sizing: inherit; border: 0px solid; font-weight: 700; font-family: CircularStd-Bold, Arial, sans-serif;">Possible need to extend utility lines:</span><span style="-sizing: inherit; border: 0px solid;"> Due to the unique shape of these lots and their distance from the curb or street, you may have to pay for the cost of extending utility lines to the property.</span><li aria-level="1" style="-sizing: inherit; border: 0px solid; margin-bottom: 1rem; font-size: 18px;"><span style="-sizing: inherit; border: 0px solid; font-weight: 700; font-family: CircularStd-Bold, Arial, sans-serif;">Lack of curb appeal:</span><span style="-sizing: inherit; border: 0px solid;"> Because these lots have no street frontage, they have no curb appeal to speak of, which tends to make them less desirable. </span><li aria-level="1" style="-sizing: inherit; border: 0px solid; margin-bottom: 1rem; font-size: 18px;">[COLOR=#cc3333]<span style="border: 0px solid; font-family: CircularStd-Bold, Arial, sans-serif;]Zoning issues:</span> <span style="-sizing: inherit; border: 0px solid;]Many jurisdictions do not allow flag lots because they can allow for an increase in density that the area’s </span>[URL=https://www.bankrate.com/real-estate/what-is-zoning/]<span style="-sizing: inherit; border: 0px solid;]zoning</span>[/URL]<span style="-sizing: inherit; border: 0px solid;] did not anticipate, among other reasons. And if an area’s zoning unexpectedly changes, these lots may potentially become unbuildable.</span>[/COLOR]<li aria-level="1" style="-sizing: inherit; border: 0px solid; margin-bottom: 1rem; font-size: 18px;">[COLOR=#cc3333]<span style="border: 0px solid; font-family: CircularStd-Bold, Arial, sans-serif;]Lot-size requirements:</span><span style="-sizing: inherit; border: 0px solid;] Many areas have minimum-lot-size requirements for home construction. Due to their unique configuration, and depending on where </span>[URL=https://www.bankrate.com/real-estate/sell-home-with-property-line-dispute/]<span style="-sizing: inherit; border: 0px solid;]bordering property lines</span>[/URL]<span style="-sizing: inherit; border: 0px solid;] fall, flag lots may not meet the required size. The pole may actually be excluded from the calculation of lot size.</span>[/COLOR]<p style="-sizing: inherit; border: 0px solid; margin: 0px 0px 2rem; padding: 0px; font-size: 18px; color: rgb81, 82, 96; font-family: CircularStd-Book, Arial, sans-serif;">

Thanks! Yeah, nearest urban sprawl……, hmmm…100+ miles I’d guess.

What I’ve got laid out would qualify. But picture a cluster of flags. Mine would be a corporate logo, the parcel east of me would be Old Glory towering high above me!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 9:37am
Probably from the Street, it looks like he has a driveway at the edge of a FIELD.. Might give the impression that HE owns the field or YOU own the field.. nobody cares...

The PROBLEM comes in if you sell a PLOT at the street next to the driveway.. The NEW GUY builds a house 10 ft from the OLD driveway.. Now the OLD guy has the FLAG POLE. City, Fire Dept, Cops... probably many dont like the "hidden land" .... not your problem, buy that is why many frown on it.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 9:41am
where I am ,can't have 'flagpole' lots as city say must have 100' frontage,though with enough coins donated, you can have that reduced......

WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 9:50am
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

Probably from the Street, it looks like he has a driveway at the edge of a FIELD.. Might give the impression that HE owns the field or YOU own the field.. nobody cares...

The PROBLEM comes in if you sell a PLOT at the street next to the driveway.. The NEW GUY builds a house 10 ft from the OLD driveway.. Now the OLD guy has the FLAG POLE. City, Fire Dept, Cops... probably many dont like the "hidden land" .... not your problem, buy that is why many frown on it.

Even though our little town has no zoning, there are state "setback" laws that stipulate how close any building can be to a property line.

Getting back to the original topic, I don't think there is a blanket best answer. There are pros and cons to both options; easement or actually selling a strip of property for access. Something to keep in mind is that whatever you decide is a forever deal. Even though the guy you are dealing with may be respectful, down the road, it could be a problem for your or his decedents or whomever either property is transferred to. That's why I advise using an attorney, who may foresee legal or other problems in the future.
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 11:18am
Personally I would never sell land I already own until I absolutely have to. They quit making more of it a long time ago.  Just my opinion though.
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic