This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Drill Dr. ?'S

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drill Dr. ?'S
    Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 3:45pm
Anybody have 1 and have success with it? Old pal Larry tells me to stop buying them throw away HF drill bits and get 1 to sharpen all my American made bits. I might take him a box full and see what kind of a job he can do with it. Thanks guys. Hope you all gots all the left overs cornsumed.
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 3:48pm
I drag mine out from time to time, but only similar to my reloading supplies, when I absolutely have a mess of them to deal with as is a PITA for initial setup.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 5:57pm
Get the kit, with the video.  I sharpen a couple hundred, atta time, generally when its cold/frozen out.  It does work, but your eyes have to be good enuff to see what you're doin...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 6:43pm
Thy are not as easy to use as it should be , aggrivatting to say the least
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 7:18pm
I learned to sharpen them on a 6 inch bench grinder by hand 40 years ago... Have never used the machine.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 7:41pm
And I did too in Ag shop,, weld 2 5/8,s nuts together match it to the bit and you have the angle right,,
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 8:06pm

Well,,I git two of them Drill Drs,,,one of them never been out of the box,,but after fighting the one for so long,,I finally quit using it. I  I learned to sharpen them by hand on a bench grinder from a gentleman on a Metal lathe Forum. He explained the procedure so well it was amazing to see how easy it can be if you pay close attention to the drill bit.Clap
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2019 at 4:30am
I have a different brand that I use for 1/4” and smaller.
Like Joe, I learned to sharpen by hand on a bench grinder.
My eye sight isn’t what it used to be so I’m not much of a hand at it anymore.
Dnoym N. S. Can. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dnoym N. S. Can. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2019 at 6:25am

utoSpeed - Sharpening Drill Bits

www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=112910

Sharp drill bits that have the right shape for the job speed up the work, allow holes to be drilled with greater accuracy, and are less likely to cause accidents. But when you begin sharpening drill bits, take it slowly and carefully, checking the performance of the drill bit and ensuring that correct grinding procedures are being followed ...

B:-)    Dnoym
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2019 at 6:45am
I still sharpen 1/4" and larger on the grinder, those I can still 'See', the ones I cannot so well see I use the Doctor on
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2019 at 9:44am
I like my Drill Doctor. I don't wait for my bits to get real dull, I touch them up as I use them.
I also learned how to sharpen drill bits is HS shop, but went too many years not sharping bits and lost my touch. My Drill Doctor works very well. And I fine it easy to use.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2019 at 9:29pm
Thanks guys.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 5:17pm
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 6:16pm
no OSHA or Union there !!!
no safety glasses....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 7:08am
I got a Drill Doctor when they first came out, never could get a good sharping from it. I would like to learn the art of sharpening them by hand, right now I buy cobalt bits and don't have a problem with dull bits anymore!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic