This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Drill Doctor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drill Doctor
    Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 12:36pm
Any all y'all have experience with drill sharpeners.I'm sure you get what you pay for and that's fine. It would be nice to have a quality drill sharpener that worked. Operator matters I'm sure. My deceased brother had a Drill Doctor but I don't know the model. I used some drills he had sharpened and was impressed. Thinking would be a good Christmas present to myself. Looking for input from those who have been there. TIA
Sponsored Links

Dirt Farmer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirt Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 2:22pm
Ive had a Drill Doctor for several years and has served me very well as it can sharpen several types of bits. There is a chuck that can be purchased to sharpen left hand bits. I do many projects throughout the year and glad to have it on my bench to sharpen dull bits rather than buying new.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 2:52pm
The majority of my drill bits would make a job of it going into bulsa wood.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 4:07pm
I've hand sharpened on the bench grinder since machine shop class in 76 but my eye sight isn't what it used to be. The tiny ones are the worst.
Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 4:59pm
I've got a drill doctor. Love it. Especially for splitting the tips. I have the left hand adapter for the rare occasion I use my left hand bits. 
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 5:56pm
I have a drill dr, definitely worth the $.  And if you can't get the hang of it, the youtube videos explain it well!

Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

I've hand sharpened on the bench grinder since machine shop class in 76 but my eye sight isn't what it used to be. The tiny ones are the worst.

Steve, I'm right with you. Hand sharpen lots of twist-drills, little ones, say 3/16" and down near impossible. Thankfully they are cheap.

I have hand sharpened a few left hand drills, always leaves me perplexed. It seams about five times as hard!
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 8:35pm
Sooo...the question becomes,which model do I want? There's a difference in price but price isn't my concern.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 8:44pm
I have done by hand for 50 years. Thankfully my eye sight still allows me to do that.. Like MIKE, the bits below 3/16 are a challenge.. Have random luck with them. Never tried the DOCTOR, dont know how that works.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 9:51pm
I've always sharpened my own as trained in the machine shop  a long time ago.  I got around the eyesight problem by fitting one of those magnifiers with the arms and a light by my bench grinder that I can swing down to see what I'm doing, especially on the tiny bits.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 11:55pm
i bought one when they first came out, it worked good back then, but i think the stone has worn down now, it doesn't do a good job anymore, now i just go buy new, if i have a special job to do i use the cobalt bits, if just drilling junk work i'll use the cheap bits. on the small bits...i usually break them before they wear down. 
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 4:49am
Replacement wheels are available!  $15-$20, and its back in business...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 6:38am
hope DJ comes up on this subject.  He gave a pretty detailed post on this subject way back.  Confused
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 7:05am
Seems like the guys who can sharpen them great by hand, that I’ve talked to, don’t really care for the drill doctor. But if you aren’t so great at it, it’s a wonderful thing, like an equalizer!
Gary (sw Wis.) View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary (sw Wis.) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 8:21am
I tried one back in the 80's when I worked in a machine shop, never seem to cut right after shapening. After about the third try a coworker show how to sharpen free hand. Been doing it that way ever since.
190XT - D17 - D14 - WD45 w/loader - WD - (2)B110 - 616H - 610 - B-208 - WD with 190 Mounted Corn Picker - All Crop 60
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 11:35am
as near as I can tell, sharpening by hand is some sort of black art. Seriously, I never could get the nack of it...Drill Dr does a fine job as far as I am concerned
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 5:42pm
The DD that dad has in his shop will only sharpen a certain degree. If you put a different degree of bit in it, it takes a LOOONGG time and a sore wrist to change the degree and it "might" end up sharp Confused. It takes the SAME arm/wrist/hand pressure for EACH of the 1/2 revolution of the "chuck", or it will end up more dull than when you started to sharpen Unhappy.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 7:37pm
Sharpen by hand is not hard, you just have to look at the bit and realize what you are doing.. Dont matter how sharp the leading edge is if the BACK END is higher than the front.. The cutting edge has to be the only thing in contact with the material..

Think of a plow in the dirt and you angle the front end up 4 inches so the TOE is hitting the dirt... Cant get nothing done that way !
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic