This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DRAGGED HOME AN "M"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad Wicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DRAGGED HOME AN "M"
    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 3:50pm
Buddy of mine called me up wanting to know if I wanted an M that had been robbed for a few pieces, Well, I beat feet there brought her home, 1 truck frame gone and a bit scattered but got her home just the same. My M has a broken rear case from the track derailing (way before me) but I do have two good truck frames, rollers, sprockets, front idlers and cross spring and now a bunch of spares including the case. I included pictures of the sprockets, I think that they got all they could from the left one, and the right one is like brand new, a military OD sprocket, I wasn't aware that they were used by the Army. Fun stuff. I have been kicking around just what kind of diesel would fit in there nicely if I were so inclined, Probably would not do the 2-71, 3-53 maybe, Perkins Maybe? great engine, should be something that was used by AC in another model, just thinking out loud.

Sponsored Links

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 6:27pm
Find yourself an "A" series Cummins. A 3 turbocharged cylinder would probably have all the power you could ever want and could fit in the space easily. There's probably plenty of room for an A4T.  With them being a standard industrial engine, having an easy work around for the bellhousing and clutch should be easy.  The biggest plus would be NOT needing earmuffs to just hear yourself think as you'd need with a Dogtriot.  
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 9:03pm
Interesting! I looked around a little online and found some military M stuff, mostly over in the UK. I did not know that either.

Here's a TB that mentions the WM and other makes and models in use, including the HD-7W: http://archive.org/details/Tb5-9720-11TractorsAndTractorAttachmentsWarDepartment10July1944/mode/2up
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Tad Wicks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad Wicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 10:57pm
I don't mind the DD I have a 6V-71 in my 11, 53s are very loud if you wind them up but lower rpms are tolerable especially if muffled. Cummins are great, I have never messed with the A's if they are anything like the B's and C's dynamite engines but I would probably head towards a Perky beings that there is a great used market out there cheap and easy. I have a HD-7, don't know if it is a "W" but a good little tractor, I would much rather run the 7 than a D4, it is just easier for me the way the seats are set up.  Thanks Tad

Edited by Tad Wicks - 09 Jan 2021 at 11:02pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic