This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

does anybody know

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: does anybody know
    Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 9:46pm
Used to be when manufactures build wiring harnesses they included the connectors for all possible options, whether the option was ordered or not, ergo, universal harness.

Is that still the case? I want to put clearance lights on my truck, but not real interested in pulling the liner down. So, it would be nice if I knew for a fact that the connector was up there and if so where, more or less where it would be.

2005 F250
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Sponsored Links

Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 6:00am
I don't know, but could you remove the plastic cover on the left or right side of the front cab post and see if there is wires running up there.  Could use a test light or ohm meter to verify they are marker lights if you find any wires.
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 6:42am
A great deal of newer machines are no longer general wiring, the use of CAN-BUS systems.  They require a different line of thought as to additions or removals as the system uses relays and Electronic Controls to do the work not fixed reference 12v varied amps.  Took a simple system and complicated the crap of it.

Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 8:51am
At some point the wires going to the lights would have to be 12v whether can-bus or not.  I could be wrong though, that whole can-bus mess was supposed to limit the number of wires but it always looked to me like it added 3 times as many.

Would a 2005 use can-bus?
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by Kansas99 Kansas99 wrote:

At some point the wires going to the lights would have to be 12v whether can-bus or not.  I could be wrong though, that whole can-bus mess was supposed to limit the number of wires but it always looked to me like it added 3 times as many.

Would a 2005 use can-bus?
I think the idea with the CAN-BUS is, instead of running a bunch of heavy gage wire to an area of the vehicle, there will only be one, which serves several sub systems, locally, via relays and microcontrollers. There would also be the signal 'BUS' cable to the microcontrollers from the chassis controller. Supposedly saves weight. At least that was the way it was explained to me.
Wait for the Lord;
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 8:08pm
Be careful with the covers on the side pillars.  Check real close if there are airbags in them.  Could be a real costly encounter! 
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 10:47pm
i had a visor added to one of my pickups years ago, and then we put those smaller bullit lights into the visor, think there were 8-9 lights across the visor, ran the wires behind the lip of the visor then into the cab thru a hole drilled into the roof in one corner (drivers side), it was sealed with a putty around the wire. the cab was double walled and had to drill thru both, then ran the wire down the front of the door post (can't see the wire while sitting in the seat), the wire stuffed in between the dash and door jam on down under the dash to the fuse box.  
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 6:02am
Lou, try finding a wiring diagram online( great rainy day job....) but my gut says 'yes' wire 'may' be there... Actually check to see IF there is a fuse for those lights in the fuse box. Check the 500 page manual to get the fuse location.. 2 or 3 fuse boxes in Fords...
As for CAN bus aka 'Conned All Ngineers' bus, it's a friggin NIGHTMARE !! Only has two problems though... connectors and code. the 'code' is extremely 'top heavy' and complicated, rediculously for what it NEEDs to do...the 'connectors'  cause all sorts of problems.
Case in point. Wife's 2019 QuashQai ( baby rogue south of the 49th)  had 2 'minor' problems this summer. BTW car has 3000 miles on it and is the old 'real key to run' version. 1st, it won't start. Put key in, turn, dash lights up like 4th of july but no vroom,vroom. Remove key, wait magicl 5 minutes, it starts fine.....
2nd, it won't shut off ! park car, turn key to off, REMOVE key, it's still running AND you can drive it !!! Lots of dash lights come on,weird yellow ones, but you can DRIVE it with key hanging up in the mudroom....
After 3 months of useless dealer trips... I figure out it's the CANbus connection between the dealer installed Nissan remote starter system and the other 6 or 7 CANbus computers. Sigh. Dealer techs had no clue what the OBDII error messages meant,dbl sigh. I could go on and on and on about this, as I have designed CANbus systems in the past..btm line here.. a SLOPPY dealer install....+ brain dead 'techs'.
oh well....vent over...
SD is onto something, pul th edriver's A-post trim, see what color wires there are, check online what they're for...
off to build a bench in garage. 7Am and still dark......tpl sigh.

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 11:47am
On an 05 I would think you could pop off the drivers side front cover and visor, if there is no ceiling mount console you might be able to pull the headliner down far enough to see. If not you might also have to pop off the cover by the driver seat. My 05 Chevy had all wiring come up behind the cover on the driver side front post and the connector was just to the right of the visor.
Maximum use of available resources!
iowallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 7:48pm
I had the body control module (BCM) go out on my 2001 Dakota that controlled the lights and other things. The repair shop said if I found a used one the vehicle it came from would need to have the same or more options than mine and that was no guarantee as it is VIN specific. Ended up getting a new one at the dealership as they would be able to program it for my VIN.

That being said your truck may have the wiring but may not have the BCM to support that option.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by iowallis iowallis wrote:

I had the body control module (BCM) go out on my 2001 Dakota that controlled the lights and other things. The repair shop said if I found a used one the vehicle it came from would need to have the same or more options than mine and that was no guarantee as it is VIN specific. Ended up getting a new one at the dealership as they would be able to program it for my VIN.

That being said your truck may have the wiring but may not have the BCM to support that option.
Good point, I never considered that!
Wait for the Lord;
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic