This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Distributor shaft

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Distributor shaft
    Posted: 22 Mar 2024 at 6:57am
I have a couple of Delco distributors from WD45s that the shaft is very loose due to rust. Is a new shaft available?
http://lonsallischalmers.com
Sponsored Links

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2024 at 7:56am
G'Mornin' Lonn!
Some mainshafts are available through older Delco dealers like myself. I have a few mainshafts in stock left, but like anything else you have to go by the Distributor number. The prices are pretty dang high though. Delco Remy isn't bashful with their pricing especially on discontinued or deleted parts. Depending how rusty they are, if its just surface rust where the bushing contact area can be polished, you can then mic the mainshaft, install an oversize bushing, and hone it to size. The unit is like new again. That's what I do on some customer Distributors that I can save... HTH
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
DanielW View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2024 at 6:17pm
Usually it's the bushing that wears, not the shaft. I'd bet dollars to buttons if you replace the bushing it'll be good to go. All replacement bushings for Delco distributors have undersize bores that have to be polished/reamed to size anyway, so you can account for a bit of shaft wear anyway. You have to be a little careful when pressing the bushing out/in as it's a tight interference fit: you need to support the body inside the housing, not on the rim the cap sits on or it'll crack the body. But replacing the bushing is something you can do yourself: Even polishing the bore to size. I used to take them to a machine shop to be reamed to match the shaft, but now I just use a piece of fine emery cloth in a slotted shaft in a drill chuck to polish it to fit the shaft: I think I get at least as good a fit as I did when going to a machine shop.

Edited by DanielW - 22 Mar 2024 at 11:31pm
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2024 at 6:10am
Thanks for the replies. After moving parts around to get nice distributors I ended up with two that need lots of help. One is a D17 that is very loose and a very worn gear. The other has a very rusted shaft. The bushing is nice. They are back on the shelf for parts. I suspect more parts tractors will show up in the yard giving me more parts to choose from.
http://lonsallischalmers.com
FrancesNelson View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrancesNelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2024 at 1:00am
I appreciate all for the info, I also want to know whether a new shaft is available or not. I am glad I found my answer over here. Now, it is my turn to help all of you and I would like to share my personal experience with all of you. Whenever I want to hire an essay writer from the coursework writing service, I always prefer to hire it from https://academized.com/coursework-writing-service here because their reviews are so good as compared to other essay writing services. I am sure you won't regret your decision for taking help from that website.

Edited by FrancesNelson - 21 Apr 2024 at 3:20pm
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2024 at 11:36pm
GRRRRRRR........  YOU know what I mean.....See ya soon buddy!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic