This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dimmer light question for electricians

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dimmer light question for electricians
    Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 10:29am
Living room ceiling fan/light combo. 2 entrances to the room. By one entrance is 2 switches, one for light, one for fan. Other entrance has a toggle switch dimmer with the slide right next to the switch. House was built about 12 years ago and fan/light was installed then, problem started maybe 5 years ago.

Turn on the light (either switch) with the dimmer on full light and the light will be full brightness for anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 minutes then drop down to 1/2 brightness. Dimmer switch will go from full bright to almost off as designed but when the light goes to 1/2 brightness doesn't matter if I move the dimmer down and back all the way up it still stays 1/2 bright down to almost off. Turn the light off and turn it back on and same thing, bright light for a random amount of time before going to 1/2 brightness.

With us having Christmas this year my wife wanted it fixed. Thinking the dimmer switch went bad I replaced it today with a Lutron brand switch which was the brand of the old switch. Didn't fix it. Any ideas on what to check that I, a somewhat handy homeowner, could check?

Something else odd is that with the other 2-way switches in our house with the light on one switch will be "off" and one will be "on". With this light both switches are in the same position with the light on, different positions with the light off.

Edited by iowallis - 27 Nov 2022 at 10:40am
Sponsored Links

Grayray View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grayray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 11:13am
When your problem started about five years ago, did you happen to change the light bulb from an old-style incandescent bulb to a fluorescent bulb or LED bulb?  Some of these bulbs are not compatible with dimmers.  If so, try changing the bulb to one that is compatible.
iowallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 12:01pm
Still has incandescent bulbs.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 12:13pm
Sounds as switch is bad, replace it before the magic smoke releases and alights the remainder of the house.
iowallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 12:36pm
New switch was installed, same problem.
bigal121892 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigal121892 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 4:52pm
If replacing parts doesn't work, then my guess would be a loose connection somewhere in the circuit, as it heats up the resistance goes up, which cuts back voltage on the triac, (electronic device that allows the light to dim). I would start by checking the neutrals, then the hots.

Edited by bigal121892 - 27 Nov 2022 at 4:53pm
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by bigal121892 bigal121892 wrote:

If replacing parts doesn't work, then my guess would be a loose connection somewhere in the circuit, as it heats up the resistance goes up, which cuts back voltage on the triac, (electronic device that allows the light to dim). I would start by checking the neutrals, then the hots.

Check by the fan, as that's where the vibration is...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
bigal121892 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigal121892 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 6:21pm
Usually the fan is wire nutted, as a general rule I don't see those coming loose, (provided the correct wire nut was used). Screws on the other hand, as the wire gets hot and cools over time, will allow the wire to move, and work their way out of being tight.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 8:56am
Al and Dave have it right-
Half-voltage is usually the result of an open neutral between two circuits that 'share'... instead of a parallel circuit, the lack of neutral makes it a series circuit, so voltage is split between the two.

ANY connection, particularly in immediate vicinity of the fan, will be susceptible to vibration... and as a resistive connection warms up, it eventually reaches a point where it limits out it's abilities to carry current.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic