This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

did you know Ford

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: did you know Ford
    Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 10:17pm
long story, no2 son has a lease return 2020 F150. He had to go to hosp to have his skull opened up again to get some tissue removed from where he had a massive tumor removed couple years ago. So, anyways we drove to the hosp, in his truck. I drove it home, as he was kept a couple of days. I flew airplanes that weren't as complicated as this animal! One of the features is when stopping in traffic, the engine stops! As soon as the brake peddle is released, the engine is running again! I mean the tach went to 'O', then back to normal on brake release. I never heard the starter! I was near instantaneous restart.
That is all new to me. How do they do it so quick and so quiet?
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 11:04pm
glorified golf cart!
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 5:18am
Our rental car on vacation was like that. It had enough miles you could hear the starter.
I’d like to see testing on the life of batteries starters and charging components compared to a standard vehicle.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 5:19am
Prayers sent for your son.🙏🙏🙏
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 6:34am
That is getting more common on new vehicles.
Certain models have an option with the vehicles computer system, you can disable that p.i.a., I mean that ‘feature’.
Will interesting to see, in the years ahead will the ‘fuel savings’ outweigh the cost of replacing batteries, starters, sooner than normal, due to a shorter life.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 6:43am
Our Toyota has that feature.  Fortunately it has a disable button on the dash.  Maybe the 150 has also  Confused
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 7:12am
Most newer vehicles (almost all brands) have that "feature" to help meet the fuel consumption standards.

My wife's 2020 Explorer has it, It can be disabled, but you have to disable it every time you start the vehicle. I don't know of any way to permanently disable it.

In hot weather, it stays shut off for a short time, then automatically restarts (I'm assuming for the AC).
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 7:35am
rre: that "feature" to help meet the fuel consumption standards.

yeah, right.... somehow they don't have to factor in the extra fuel used for EVERY restart, to get engine running again AND recharge the battery.
do the proper math and it's NOT saving anything....
Also the extra wear and tear on the starter, ringgear, wiring, etc. increases the 'lifetime' cost of the vehicle.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 8:31am
I guess they should have hired you, Jay, to engineer something better.

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 8:36am
jay is right from the fact that it is not designed to make your life easier, save money,  or helpful.. the ONLY GOAL of the shutdown is to improve the MPG numbers on paper they give the EPA... Just a NUMBERS game. 
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 9:50am
Our 2016 Escaspe has that and I always hit the disable button because what will a new stater cost, probaly less than the fuel it will use.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 11:28am
According to the dealership website, that is 1 of the most complained about things offered in the fords.
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 11:35am
I have a 2015 F150 that has that feature so does my wife's 2020 Honda. Push a button to disable. I don't. Doesn't really bother me at all. Went with another forum member to pick up some parts. Truck stopped. He didn't know about that feature. Look on his face was priceless!!!!
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 2:14pm
the over ride button is there because the know that people DO NOT want it and can therefor BYPASS it..... again, it is there ONLY to please the EPA for sales... If it QUIT working the next day, FORD could not care less.
dee_veloper View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dee_veloper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 4:07pm
It's true that MPG is the only driving criteria. To stop air pollution.  Been that way for decades.  Complex engines, sensors, catalytic converters, you name it, all for air quality.

Production costs, maintenance, insurance fall way down the list compared to MPG.  MPG equates to cleaner air quality and that drives vehicle development.

That's why the big transition to electric.  Battery life/problems/cost/insurance aren't the criteria.  Electric gets 300 +/- MPG equivalent and doesn't emit air pollution.

Don't confuse my personality with my attitude.
My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 4:18pm
re: Battery life/problems/cost/insurance aren't the criteria.  Electric gets 300 +/- MPG equivalent and doesn't emit air pollution.

well the new F-150 Lightning will set back Canuck $13,000 for a new battery,installed...plus 13% taxes.....EVERY 5-6 years.....

while the electric  vehicle doesn't emit air pollution, the power generation station to recharge them $$$$ batteries sure will !!!
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
dee_veloper View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dee_veloper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

well the new F-150 Lightning will set back Canuck $13,000 for a new battery,installed...plus 13% taxes.....EVERY 5-6 years.....

while the electric  vehicle doesn't emit air pollution, the power generation station to recharge them $$$$ batteries sure will !!!

You're absolutely correct but Ford doesn't care.  It's all about MPG and none of that other stuff matters to them.
Don't confuse my personality with my attitude.
My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 5:00pm
I drove a friend's newer Equinox for awhile and it had that engine stop/start. As long as I didn't mash down on the brake pedal at a stop it wouldn't shut off. I got so I really liked it - mash hard on the pedal if you were at a light and knew you'd be sitting awhile, or just barely hold on it if you could see orange lights coming on for the cross traffic. I hate driving anything with an auto transmission but the stop/start was nice. It does sometimes not stop/start when you have AC running, it's still warming up, etc. I haven't driven a Ford so they could have a different (or less sophisticated) system.

Hot restarts on a newer fuel-injected vehicle use next to no extra fuel and outweigh the time that would be spent idling very quickly. It's easy on the starter, too. Cranking for 10 seconds probably wears the starter more than 100 quick hot starts (making up numbers here, but I'm just saying the wear is very low). The hypermiling people have been shutting their keys off at lights in their old beaters for years and the main thing they seem to wear out is the ignition switches, which is a non-issue on a vehicle designed with the auto stop/start. Those folks just end up wiring their own manual stop/start switches so that they don't wear out the ignition switch.

Of course my friend's Equinox only has maybe 60K on it so time will tell but I really don't expect things to wear out any sooner than on a vehicle without stop/start. I'll agree it was disconcerting at first. Once I understood the logic of the system and knew how to get it to shut off or not, I liked it.

I could get 38+ MPG out of that car pretty easily, too. Not too shabby for the size of the thing, and comparing it to my older Civic that gets 45 MPG but is much smaller.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 6:10pm

Come on Jay... SOLAR PANELS on the roof, man !!! LOL
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 6:20pm
Easy way to pause the feature is to step on brake , let up and step on it again when at total stop , seems it only sets automatic if brake is held down for a certain time and when you press and release brake a couple times it overrides . 
 Least on my Jeep - but now it quit working - saying every so often battery voltage low - so evidently the voltage sensing chip is bad . 
 Also noticed air conditioning would cause it to start in the auto mode if temp changed . 
So since it quit no problems now - except for the little light on dash that says it's not working 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 6:30pm
My work ride does that but has a button to bypass it, only thing is you have to press the button after every start up. My rental before that didn’t have the button so I learned to let off the brake after coming to a stop to start the engine again, it wouldn’t shut off the second time.
Maximum use of available resources!
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

Prayers sent for your son.🙏🙏🙏
Thanks Thad! we are going to need it. back in ER today, head swelling, but OK after they drained the wound. Biopsy not promising. waiting to see what Doc says concerning treatment going forward
Wait for the Lord;
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 11:47pm
also prayers from our home for your son
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2021 at 2:49pm
  Prayers for your son Lou.
1955CA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2021 at 9:42pm
That feature is pretty sporadic in mine. I know that it will only shut off in certain ambient temperatures, but sometimes mine will shut off, other times it never shuts off.
I just press the over ride button every time I remember. It can be permanently disabled but you need the help of the aftermarket.

Other than that, I love my 2020 8 foot bed supercab 5.0 litre, 10 speed. LOTS of power and on my 4 hour commute back and forth to work every week, it uses less gas than my VW 2.0 turbo. Not bad for a full size truck.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2021 at 10:08pm
thanks guys
Wait for the Lord;
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 10:02am
Prayers coming your way from here too Lou.  Hope it is good news!!  Keep us posted.

My 99 Buick Park Ave AVERAGED 35 MPG ALL the  time!!!  I think it had something to do with the tranny also.

Car manufacturers must be in the same room with the oil people and vice-versa.  Just more 'new' junk to go wrong and cost us more money.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Wayne180d View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne180d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 10:59am
Prayers for your son.  I have a 2017 Escape with that feature have about 130k miles on it no problems at all.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 6:23pm
Lou, so sorry to hear of the return of trouble for your son. Prayers from here.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic