This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Did Gleaner build a hillside L?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Did Gleaner build a hillside L?
    Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 9:22pm
I was paging through my Norm Swinford book and saw listed along with the MH a combine jast named Hillside or Sidehill (one or the other) and the specs matched the L including the 48" cylinder. It was built from something like '72 or '73 through 1976. Has anyone here ever seen or heard of one? I thought after the GH it was only the MH/MH2/MH3 models.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Sponsored Links

tom51 View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 10:06pm
Saw a M/H at the half century of progress show in 2019
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 6:50am
Yes there were MH combines built but it looks like there was also an L version built too.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 7:59am
Originally posted by tom51 tom51 wrote:

Saw a M/H at the half century of progress show in 2019

I think this is the one I saw at the HCOP in 2019 but I believe it was a G model hillside.

Edited by Brian F(IL) - 25 Jan 2022 at 8:00am
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 8:33am
Pretty neat what they came up with to navigate slopes.
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 8:46am
We mow our road ditches living here on the highway. I have thought how cool it would be to have a front mount mower on a MH2 or 3.
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 8:58am

I'll have to look at my book. I'm sure the specs just are incorrect, as they never made an "LH" machine, only MH.

AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 9:35am
I wonder if Gleaner was attempting to minimize the machine’s elevated capacity weights? There is a photo in Norm’s book of a MH that has little to no grain tank extensions. Center of gravity changes as grain tank fills up which directly affects hydraulic self-leveling system capacities... it’s kind of interesting to view the whole combinations of hillsides from gleaner.

Gleaner’ hillside grain tank bushel capacities, trans, engines, per model
CH 75 gear
GH 100 gear/hydro
Mhillside 120 gear/hydro
MH 105 hydro
M2H 105 gear/301 gear/hydro
M2HY 165-185 hydro/301-426
M3hillside 180, gear/hydro 301/426
MH3 115, gear/hydro 301/426

Edited by AC7060IL - 25 Jan 2022 at 9:36am
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 12:05pm
Never any talk of a L hillside out here in hillside country.

I have never heard of a M hillside with gear drive, I thought hydro was the only option. Once you drove hydro it was pain going back to a gear drive as I did it. Drove others MH2's for 7 years then bought a JD 95H with gear drive. Nothing like turning on a steep hill, with the hydro nose down then with hydro back up and turn to get the ass back to on contour. A lot more bucking and jumping doing that with a clutch and shifting gears in there.  

The 78 and earlier MH and MH2 all had 100 bu tank, all the MH2 or 3 here had 130 bu tank be they D2900 or the D3500 engines as the operators book called them.

Edited by Ray54 - 25 Jan 2022 at 12:07pm
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 6:51pm
Here's what my book says........

Models listed under M,L and MH

M - 1973-76 - cornhead 4,6 - cylinder 40" - engines V8/350; 301T

Hillside - 1972-76 - cornhead 4,6,8 - cylinder 48" - engines V8/350; 301T

MH - 1974-75 - cornhead none - cylinder 40" - engines V8/350; 301T

M2/M2HY/Hillside - 1977-82 - cornhead 4,5,6 - cylinder 40" - engine 301T

MH2/MH2HY - 1977-82 - cornhead none - cylinder 40" - 301T; 426T

L2/L2HY - 1977-82 - cornhead 4,5,6,8 - cylinder 48" - 301T; 426T

M3/Hillside - 1983-86 - cornhead 4,5,6 -  cylinder 40" - 301T; 426T

MH3 - 1983-86 - cornhead none - cylinder 40" - 301T; 426T

L3 - 1983-86 - cornhead 4,5,6,8 - cylinder 48" - 301T; 426T

Could likely be a discrepancy like doc says and I tend to agree but the book is so specific that there was a model just called Hillside not M Hillside or MH and then lists all the L specs. I didn't list all the specs and I should take a photo so everyone can see but that is a pain to post from my current phone. Is it plausible that there was a run of Hillside L's and it was so few sold that Allis just switched to the M series only in the Hillside version?
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
tom51 View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 10:02pm
That’s the one I saw Brian may be mistaken on the model
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 11:54am
In the information Lonn posted anybody know what the difference of H to the HY is? Because the the L is only HY model.  So my guess is maybe HY did not level as many degrees as H would. Because never any but H model here. And a bit of ground was farmed that a H would be fully level.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Ray54 Ray54 wrote:

In the information Lonn posted anybody know what the difference of H to the HY is? Because the the L is only HY model.  So my guess is maybe HY did not level as many degrees as H would. Because never any but H model here. And a bit of ground was farmed that a H would be fully level.
I think HY just means Hydrostatic transmission...... I think
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 2:03pm
It appears there is a Hillside model wether it is an M or not I don't know but there is an M Hillside and an MH. It looks like the Hillside models were available with a cornhead but the MH/MH2 or MH3 are not available with a cornhead. Why was that? Also, I didn't realize that the feeder house has a second feeder beater on the MH vs the standard M. 
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 7:48pm
Let's get something straight.....there never was a model L-L2-L3 HILLSIDE combine. On page 331 of Swinford's book, he has made an error that seems to be getting everyone wound up. The first column is for the model "M" which was made 1973 thru 1976. This is correct. Second column that says "Hillside", should have said model "L", which was made 1972 thru 1976 and was capable of 4-6-8 row corn heads. A TRUE HILLSIDE GLEANER COULD NEVER EVER HAVE A CORN HEAD mounted on it because it required two feeder beaters !! One on the head and the other in the throat. This allowed the 23 degree tilt that these machines were capable of.  Usually in Gleaner specs, anytime HY was used it meant HYDRO transmission...nothing else. We always wanted a combine that would compete with the 6620 Deere "side-hill" ( not hill-side) combine which would level up about half the degrees of a true hill-side combine and was sold in the midwest with a corn head on it.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 7:26pm
I believe you doc that it is a typo and that where it lists a Hillside alone it should have just read L but what is the M Hillside vs the MH? Is it just a mistake to list a MH and also an M Hillside? 
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 7:28pm
I would say so, yes. Remember, Norm got this information from somewhere and he wasn't a combine guy, so it easily could have gotten by him a bit inaccurate.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 7:54pm
I have the grain saver on my L2 but the air hoses get filled with corn so that I have to clean them about every day especially in corn. Was thinking about just eliminating it. I've adjusted the pendulum 6 ways to Sunday and even welded up the linkage to build up the worn parts. And I use my R52 mostly and need to sell the L2 some day.

My ground is gently rolling but just to the East of me a few miles it starts to get hilly. A Sidehill model would have been nice I bet but then the N series were pretty popular in the area in the day anyhow and made a Sidehill obsolete IMO.

Edited by Lonn - 29 Jan 2022 at 7:55pm
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 9:10pm
Back in their day, N-6's were doing some of the MH's work. There was even talk of a "level-up" cab to make it nicer to run.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 9:23pm
Your L-2 needs all the cylinder bars installed with the "V" upside down while looking in from the top of the throat. This throws grain (corn) to the high side of the raddle making it much better in hillsides. Also remove the metal curtain above the raddle and install two leveling blades to push things over 6 to 8 inches to also help with sidehills. Then the grainsaver won't get plugged up.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 9:35pm
I'll check sometime but I think the curtain is removed. Not sure about the cylinder bars or leveling blades. There is a strap iron on each side of the rear raddle that sort of look like they would push material inward a bit if those are what you are referring to...... but they look to only move material over maybe only 2 or 3 inches if I remember correct. I'll have to pull her out soon and start to get the old girl prepped for a go again this year. I'll make it my goal to clear up the grain saver issue. Thank you Dr Allis
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 10:19pm
Most of the grain shifts to one side as it fall from the raddle on hill side.
Dr., don't see the point of turning all cylinder bars the same direction.              MACK
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2022 at 5:49am
You've got to do one to see how it works. The crop goes in on the low side of the cylinder because of the combine leaning. When the cylinder bars are turned correctly, because the majority of the crop feeds in on the low side, the cylinder bars thresh on one side (pretty much) and throw the threshed crop to the uphill side. This trick doesn't affect threshing and to a degree hurts level land capacity a bit, but in side hill country sometimes adds 50% more BPH capacity in corn harvesting. The wider the machine the better it works.

Edited by DrAllis - 31 Jan 2022 at 5:50am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic