This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Deutz. Would you buy one?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denwic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 8:34pm
Use to be several Deutz around here in the 70's & 80's, a friend of mine had a 3006 he used in the landscaping trade, he could brake a anvil with a glass hammer, he knocked a hole in the oil pan (cast iron) with out knowing and run it till it locked up, figured well thats it for this engine. My buddy said lets see what the crank looks like, so dropped the pan and bearing caps, took a welding tip on the torch, melted bearing material off crank and not a scratch, top end looked good, put new bearings in and I guess its still running today. Never cared much for the tractor but what a engine.
Sponsored Links

Dean/MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean/MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 8:40pm
I have a 3cyl Deutz 42hp in a Vermeer puller that I've had over 10 years and never had to do anything other than change oil in it. It is good on fuel but does not like to start very easy when temp gets around freezing.
HD16,917H,185,7050,8030FWA,8050FWA
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 2:40am
we had an R62 with a twin trubo V8 Duitz.  I kept it clean, one day I noticed an oil leak from the rocker box on top of the head.  Lifter had broken on the cam and ground the cam off, broke the rocker arms and put a hole in the rocker box.  So for $9000 it got a new cam, lifters and gasket set.  Every penny saved on fuel was spent on parts.  Bad luck.

I liked the engine, good on fuel, power and torque rise like the others don't have, though it was around 780 cubes, 100-300 more than engines used in comparable applications.  There's a lot of problems with cooling systems, water pumps and radiators, but no problems with a Duitz, blow out the oil coolers and cylinders now and then.

I came over the hill one day to see the R62 in a black cloud with the hood open faceing some 40 mph winds.  Good thing dad got the hood open to try and put out the fire, at least the wind force fed it better.   The Duitz was running on the ground in pools of molten aluminum, I was done worrying about it, major relief.  We saved the fuel and cell phone and never looked back.

There's a few Duitz tractors around here, 80-100 hp range.  Tough little farts, fun to abuse.  There's equipment to suit everyones expectations, but that doesn't mean I want one.

Edited by wi50 - 14 Feb 2011 at 2:47am
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
Dale-OH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale-OH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 7:51am
We have had more problems by far out of a Cummins engine than a deutz in a combine.  Dont know that we ever put a deutz in under warrenty but only put or overhauled 5 cummins under warrenty in R62 combines.

Sold hundreds of deutz-allis tractors.  Use a 9170 on the farm to pull planter, you will be hard pressed to find a better running more reliable engine.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic