This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

decube a 426, how?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: decube a 426, how?
    Posted: 17 Feb 2022 at 8:21am
our club has changed the rules for fair play, and are allowing us to replace our 301 in our XT with a decubed 426 . max ci. is 410. what would be the best way to go ? 4.75 stroke? any ideas would be appreciated. the IH and JD boys are just to hard to compete with .we've been running twin chargers on  max 3500 rpm limit per class rules. dry head and block, and just keep cracken up heads 3- 4 hooks and so many cracks we can hardly start it. 3 different heads done by reputable builders with AC exsperiance. sorry I can't spell worth a hoot

Miss Behavin - D21 Super Farm

Xcessive Tinkering - 190 XT Hot Farm Puller

Watch on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2TX1Af7aoA
Sponsored Links

NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2022 at 8:45am

I would go with shorter stroke, smaller bore would shroud valves restricting air, the valves on a 426 are already widely spaced.
  Keep same rod , adjust pin height or shave top of piston.
   What do you fill you heads with???   I havent tried it yet but next time I will find a foundry and will fill the water jacket with pored cast iron, should strengthen it and will expand at the same rate preventing cracks.
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2022 at 9:38am
Press a thin dry sleeve inside the wet sleeve and get bore down to 4 1/8" (I think that works). Make custom pistons. Work over the head/valves . You know what?? That semi-myth of valve shrouding I just don't always buy as fact. EVERY 301 I've ever been involved with that had seats knocked out of the head and 426 valves installed and notches in the sleeves so the valves would clear ALWAYS ran better. In fact, usually shifted up a gear !! So, I'm sorry I don't think shrouded valves are an automatic negative, especially when you've got 80 or more psi of boost.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2022 at 5:06pm
I don.t think[ that teduceing the stroke is the  way to go. You need all the torque you can get, so shortening the stroke is counter productive it seems to me,             Leon
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2022 at 6:32pm
On the smaller bore, 4.160" will get you 408 cubes with a stock 5 inch stroke, but be sure you can get rings to fit that diameter.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 8:05am
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

Press a thin dry sleeve inside the wet sleeve and get bore down to 4 1/8" (I think that works). Make custom pistons. Work over the head/valves . You know what?? That semi-myth of valve shrouding I just don't always buy as fact. EVERY 301 I've ever been involved with that had seats knocked out of the head and 426 valves installed and notches in the sleeves so the valves would clear ALWAYS ran better. In fact, usually shifted up a gear !! So, I'm sorry I don't think shrouded valves are an automatic negative, especially when you've got 80 or more psi of boost.

Actually, flow benches prove that valve shroud exists.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 8:07am
Originally posted by LeonR2013 LeonR2013 wrote:

I don.t think[ that teduceing the stroke is the  way to go. You need all the torque you can get, so shortening the stroke is counter productive it seems to me,             Leon

You are not going to get the torque by reducing the air either.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 9:44am
How "deep" of sleeve/valve notch makes a difference too. A Dyno run in the end settles the dispute. When you get tired of exhaust seats falling out of the cylinder head, the old school way was to remove the seats and go to a larger diameter valve, notching the sleeves as needed. It worked. Still works.
bsallis180 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsallis180 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 11:19am
Rod end is 4.188 wide on big pin rods
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 1:44pm
I'm sure the big end of the rods would have to be shaved down to fit inside the sleeve, but I feel this is the best way to decube. Work over the head and move the valves closer together a little bit if shrouding is an issue. The 426 head is faaaar better than any 301 head and I don't need a air flow machine to tell me that.
bsallis180 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsallis180 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 2:41pm
If you press a dry sleeves in your sleeve And notch your sleeves you will Be blowing compression between your sleeves. Less you get custom sleeves then weaken your rods at the bolt If you do all that and re work your head that’s not cheap to get your valves closer. with all that just de stroke your crank get pistons and be done.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 2:57pm
Parent bore blocks have been repaired for decades pressing in a thin sleeve. I agree the notching would possibly cause issues, but again I believe that could be worked around. Many years ago, I was going to do this. I was going to use a STOCK piston and turn it down to the proper diameter and hopefully find rings that would work. It wasn't going to cost very much with old sleeves/old pistons/stock crank/etc. Todays custom built parts are much more readily available, when then they were not. 408 cubes. Either debore or destroke, Your decision.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 5:35pm
destroke to 4.8" is 408.57 cid, 4.75 is 404. Either way I'd have custom sleeves and pistons made, so you can get exactly what you need. I know there's less expensive places, but I do like my riverside parts. It's not a low budget deal, but very high quality parts, and if need replacements they can supply within a couple of days! I've had 2 stock pistons fail, causing a lot of damage. Now, they were original 210 pistons cut down as well as running too much timing. But when a cast piston fails, it simply explodes, a forged piston may begin to crack but will get discovered on a freshen up. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2022 at 7:38am
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

How "deep" of sleeve/valve notch makes a difference too. A Dyno run in the end settles the dispute. When you get tired of exhaust seats falling out of the cylinder head, the old school way was to remove the seats and go to a larger diameter valve, notching the sleeves as needed. It worked. Still works.

Yes,  a dyno also proves that valve shroud exists, its no myth.   
Relayman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Relayman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2022 at 8:09pm
If you are supposedly limited to 410 cubes, why not just make it a 414 cube using the 1% tolerance for "wear" like the IH people do.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic