This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

December 1973 - Model 175 Gas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_Larson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: December 1973 - Model 175 Gas
    Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 5:15pm
During December of 1973, The Allis-Chalmers 175 gas model started production with serial number 2151
G,D10,D12,D14,D15,D17gas,D17 diesel,D19 Diesel, D21 Series II,160,190, B1,Bumble Bee 10,B1,HB 212,ACC 30 forklift and snap-coupler equipment
Sponsored Links

Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 6:18pm
I would like to find a 175 gasser. Be a great loader tractor! Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 8:41pm
Interestingly enough, the official Nebraska Test tractor was 175-sn 2151 tested on April 1st thru April 11th, 1974.
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 6:25am
In my mind they are a historical tractor as they were the last gas tractor AC made, and not that many were made as diesel was taking over the market.
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 6:31am
Tractor Data tells a different story on serial numbers

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/1/8/180-allis-chalmers-175.html
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 7:23am
I guess you'll have to explain to me what you think is conflicting information. The first 175 tractor chassis serial number built in 1974 was sn 2153. The Nebraska tested gasoline fuel 175 tractor was s/n 2151 and was built in December 1973.  I see no issue with that. The fact that s/n 2151 wasn't Nebraska tested until April of 1974 means nothing. They had a waiting list to get tested and it was a four month delay. Gas and diesel serial numbers were mixed together, with the first almost four years of building being diesel only. Then, in Dec 73 they started building some gas models. I would guess they were built in batches of 25 or 50 at a time, because the gas engine was built in West Allis. The truth be known, the 175 gas engine was the same engine that the original One-Eighty gas tractor had, only with a high idle of 2,000 RPM instead of 2,200 like the One-Eighty was given.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 7:40am
Was the 4 cylinder engine ever a production engine in the 180?       MACK
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 8:07am
I think they made 50 ??...   and then swapped them all out for G2500/265 engines later on. Swinford's book talks of this.

Edited by DrAllis - 02 Dec 2018 at 11:32am
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 1:17pm
"Nearly 100 One-Eighty four-cylinder gas tractors had been built when manufacturing audits discovered that platform vibration at high idle would put one's feet to sleep. Production was halted and an investigation was quickly mounted to determine how this could possibly happen. The prototype was retested, and it was just as smooth as it had been the day it was approved----but it was the only one. The several dozen gas tractors were converted to 301 diesel models at considerable cost and a search for a suitable gasoline engine began."   This is quoted from Swinford's Book on page 109.  The one-and-only prototype 4-banger was sold and resold to someone in Wisconsin?? It had a narrow front end and was pictured in one of the Farm Magazines in June/July 1967 pulling a 4-bottom plow.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 1:47pm
I have a similar story from early 1981 with a black belly model 7000 platform tractor.  I was the "new" AC Service Rep and this tractor had a similar on-going problem that the former Rep and A-C had spent thousands of dollars on balancing the engine and tearing the torque housing apart replacing bearings, all with no success. Customer complained at 18-1900 RPM while cultivating the platform vibrated so bad his feet would go to sleep.  As far as AC was concerned, the matter was closed..... there was nothing wrong. The Customer (and Dealership) were still ticked off about the matter as they felt it was still a problem and that something could surely be done.  I looked the situation over and felt I had a reasonable Customer who was willing to think outside the box. He was willing to try almost anything, if the problem could be resolved. What I did was cut an 18" square hole in the lightweight/sheet metal platform right where his feet would rest.  I built a 19" square platform out of 1/4" diamond plate to go over the top of the hole we just cut and just clear the existing platform by 1/4" inch. The new platform was solidly secured to the top of the torque housing. The new design was covered with a modified rubber floormat from a cab tractor so you couldn't see what we did. Problem solved. This tractor is still in service today with more than 10,000 hrs on it.  I've always felt the 4-cylinder gas One-Eighty vibration issue could have been dealt with by a change in platform mounting/securing, but I was still in the 8th grade and they didn't ask me.

Edited by DrAllis - 02 Dec 2018 at 2:05pm
Mike Kroupa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Kroupa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 8:50am
Anybody know when production of the gas model ceased? I would imagine with the spike in gasoline cost,(opec embargo)and the greater efficiency of the diesel it wasn't that many years., Mike
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 4:14pm
Lots of great stories here - I love the Doc's solution to the vibrating problem. Great to add personal anecdotes to Swinford's writings.

Dave
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by Mike Kroupa Mike Kroupa wrote:

Anybody know when production of the gas model ceased? I would imagine with the spike in gasoline cost,(opec embargo)and the greater efficiency of the diesel it wasn't that many years., Mike
I believe 1976 was the last year for the gas model.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Keith M View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 10:46pm
On MecumAuctions Gone Farmin that aired 3-28-20 or the week before I forget but I have it taped. They sold a 180 narrow front end or as I’ve always called them tricycle front end gas that sold for $18,000.00. They sold either a 170 or 175 narrow front end gas just before the 180 but it didn’t bring as much. A man from around where I grew up pulled a 190 gasser or could’ve been XT single wheel in front due to the tricycle front end being broke off when being unloaded from dealer I was told. He pulled that tractor at the National Farm Machinery Show in Louisville , Kentucky in the late 70’s or real early 80’s one.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic