This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daylight saving time...forever!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Daylight saving time...forever!!
    Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 7:47am
Rick and Bubba made a great point this am. With the crazy year 2020 already this would be the perfect time to make DST the standard....quit changing the clock....nobody would even notice!!
Sponsored Links

Andy E View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 7:53am
I AGREE.    
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 8:49am
good point. a large percentage of those still working are working at home, with a little less ridged schedule, the rioters don't start work until later in the day and knock after dark anyhow, the free cheezers.....well I doubt they have much of a schedule...so ya, I doubt anyone would notice
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 10:01am
I think it is an excellent idea, ya got my vote... ... ... for what it is worth.
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 10:47am
If we're going to pick one and stick with it, I pick DST. Fits much better trying to work and farm.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 12:39pm
I'll vote for that also. 
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 10:42pm
I wish we could stay on standard time year ‘round.
Here in west TX, it is still dark at 6:30 in the morning.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
weiner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 12:20am
DST is my vote
Real heros wear dogtags, not capes.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 8:21am
sigh...I'm already tired of getting up in the dark.... 6AM and pitch black, not that I have to get up as I have nuthin to do next door anymore....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
SLee(IA) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SLee(IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 5:29pm
Year round standard time for me.
Steve
Robert Musgrave View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert Musgrave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 6:59pm
Year around standard time for me as well--Like to get up with the sun and go to bed at dark.  On the Eastern edge of Central Time Zone.d  R. Musgrave
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 7:24pm
The 'powers to be' have changed dates for DST at least 3 times that I know of since the early 70s....
..so the 3 strikes and yer out rule should apply. STICK with one or the other, FOREVER !
yeesh the rest of the Animal Kingdom gets along without setting their clocks ahead,back, forward,.....sigh...
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 9:04pm
Anybody on Twitter?  Twit the Prez and tell him to JUST DO IT.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by Ted J Ted J wrote:

Anybody on Twitter?  Twit the Prez and tell him to JUST DO IT.

LMAO !!!!!!
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 9:20pm
I dont need a watch... retired and and on my schedule.. dont care what time the Govt says it is. ...... really dont care what day of the week it is either !!
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 7:42am
If I only farmed, or only worked off farm, I wouldn't care. Since I'm trying to do both, and since my off farm job is more/less scheduled, it's nice to have all the daylight I can get after work to do farm stuff.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 8:02am
Seems they tried having daylight time one winter but it was to dark in the am and school kids were  getting into to many accidents. 1974

The year Daylight Saving Time went too far

The 7 a.m. darkness in the last days before springing forward put us in mind of a historical footnote: the year of unending Daylight Saving Time.

Or at least that was how it was supposed to be.

It was 1974, and the energy crisis was cutting into the American way of life, with odd-even gas rationing, a national speed limit and shortened Nascar races. The Emergency Daylight Saving Time Act signed by President Nixon dictated that clocks would spring forward one hour on Jan. 6 — and stay that way for almost 16 months, until April 27, 1975.

By fall, the dark mornings were apparently wearing on the American people. Proclaiming “it’s for the children” — those scholars standing at bus stops in the predawn — lawmakers threw in the towel of gloom.  Year-round DST was scrapped, and on Oct. 27, clocks fell back.

But there’s no way to stop the Earth from tilting, and — in 1974 as in all years — most of the morning daylight gain was gone within weeks.

The 1974 experiment was but one of the federal revisions of Daylight Saving Time in the past 50 years.

• 1966: To standardize practices across the United States (with a few exceptions), it was declared that DST would run from the last Sunday in April to the last Sunday in October.
  • 1986: The start date was moved to the first Sunday in April.
  • 2007: DST was extended on both ends, and it now runs from the second Sunday in March to the first Sunday in November.

Freedguy- If sleepy joe biteme gets elected, then we will have a twit for a prezident.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 8:05am
I set the schedule for my crew. Depends on time of year, temp, weather and the specific job. Leave it one way or the other is my vote. Don’t care which
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 9:25am
Where a person is situated within their time zone makes a big difference. Take a look at the eastern line of the Eastern Time Zone, and picture yourself living on the coast of Maine! Been there at the tail end of November many years ago. Was DARK by like 3:30 in the afternoon!

Trivia question: What city is farthest east of the following 3; Miami, Charlotte, NC, Pittsburgh. Surprise number 1, they are all quite close as far as longitude. Surprise number 2 perhaps, the winner, is Pittsburgh!
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 10:06am
Your location does make a difference. Here in central IL DST fits well. I was in N Dakota several yrs ago in middle of June. Was going on 10pm when it got dark. That was wild. Here it's about 9pm when that happens. Maybe just keep it screwed up like it is and let everyone complain all the time.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 10:38am
Steve, rest assured, everyone will complain all the time regardless.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

Your location does make a difference. Here in central IL DST fits well. I was in N Dakota several yrs ago in middle of June. Was going on 10pm when it got dark. That was wild. Here it's about 9pm when that happens. Maybe just keep it screwed up like it is and let everyone complain all the time.
But what time ZONE are you in ?? It doesn't get dark "here" in late June/early July until 10 pm or a little later in our DLST/EST (Ouch). That's what I wish would get moved, Mi into the CST zone Wink .
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 6:45am
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

But what time ZONE are you in ?? It doesn't get dark "here" in late June/early July until 10 pm or a little later in our DLST/EST (Ouch). That's what I wish would get moved, Mi into the CST zone Wink .

NOOOOOOOO! That would make April, September/October really tough for my farm life!
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

NOOOOOOOO! That would make April, September/October really tough for my farm life!
Tbone, are you SURE that it would be "tough"?? In all honesty to "future" posters, WHERE is the "line" for EST and CST ?? I've been under the impression that EST ends at the Ohio/Pennsylvania line ?? That the ONLY reason that MI is on EST is due to Detroit auto manufactures from WAAAAAY back ??
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 7:51pm
I dont think Detroit decided the time zones.... You can see that MICHIGAN is on the far WEST end and  MAINE is on the EAST end.... You get the same effect if you are in Chitcago compared to Omaha... etc ... LOCATION is everything..

FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 8:10pm
Thanks Steve, but if a person drew a straight line from the Florida pan handle due north, not much of MI would be in EST ?? Nor a good portion of Ohio ??
Kentucky is the real LOSER in the map you pictured Cry

Edited by FREEDGUY - 03 Sep 2020 at 8:12pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 9:28pm
The lines dont go due north.. There are 360 degrees in a circle around the earth.. Divided by 24 hours in a day and each time zone should be 15 degrees wide.... Should be wider at the equator than it is at the north pole.... ... look at 87 - 102- 117 degrees... its close.

It was the Rail Road that got this TIME ZONE stuff started around 1900 so they could get times standardized across the country... There has been DAYLIGHT time since 1920.. Cancelled for a few years, then started again...

Edited by steve(ill) - 03 Sep 2020 at 9:33pm
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 9:36pm
Well, now you've changed the map Confused , where's the time zone lines in your latest map ??
I appreciate the maps, don't get me wrong Wink . And to follow your last map, the farther NORTH you go, the closer the lines get, meaning that the majority of MI does fall into the CST zone in your earlier map Smile.

Edited by FREEDGUY - 03 Sep 2020 at 9:43pm
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 8:47am

Well, now you've changed the map Confused , where's the time zone lines in your latest map ??
I appreciate the maps, don't get me wrong Wink . And to follow your last map, the farther NORTH you go, the closer the lines get, meaning that the majority of MI does fall into the CST zone in your earlier map Smile.

If you overlay the two maps, you'd be surprise how "northerly" the line is. Due north is along the longitude. Steve's first map is a typical "flat map illusion", look at a globe, and you'll be a little more surprised.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 8:53am

Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Tbone, are you SURE that it would be "tough"?? In all honesty to "future" posters, WHERE is the "line" for EST and CST ?? I've been under the impression that EST ends at the Ohio/Pennsylvania line ?? That the ONLY reason that MI is on EST is due to Detroit auto manufactures from WAAAAAY back ??

Yes, I'm sure.

I work off farm. And I farm over 300 acres with over 30 momma cows calving 30+ calves in the spring, and raise my own replacement heifers and freezer beef. Also burn wood for heat. The off farm job is a set time of day, though they do treat me well and allow some flexibility at times as long as I don't abuse the privilege. As such, most of the time get home at a set time of day, and there's only so much daylight left after that. Lots of jobs, like cutting wood, vaccinating calves, combining soybeans....aren't too easy to do in the dark. Combining or chopping corn in the dark isn't too bad.

Besides.....it's my opinion, my life, and stated with a laughy and winky face.....so shove it!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic