This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dad's WD project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dad's WD project
    Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 10:45pm
Well I started another project. This time it is a WD my dad repowered with a 262. He had found a WD diesel complete but not running. His BIL in southern Mo. ran a dealership and found a gas engine to swap in. Dad passed in '89 but I kept the tractor. It was smoking pretty bad then and then just sat till now.

Engine is stuck. One rear rim was shot but I was able to salvage a piece to repair a rim for uncle's 170 and the complete tire/rim is also on the 170 for now. Planning to post more pictures and of course look for advice along the way.
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 6:19am
Now that looks like a project for sure! Will be watching!
These are the best ones! Family ones!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 9:09am
That'll keep you busy awhile! Good luck with the old girl.

I talked to a fellow at an auction last fall that had put a 4 cylinder diesel of some sort in a WD. He was picking my mind about how to get it finished, mentioned this forum. He's not on the net and I'm not much help with early diesels..... Maybe I'll run into him again some day?
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 9:43am
how fast was it going backwards to bend that fender? just curious...  Yes looks like a nice start to a good 'fun' project.
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 12:45pm
Lol. The tractor wasn't moving, but the tree that hit it was doing 140 during the Derecho.

Here it's being dragged in off the tilt trailer. Since the tires are off, I removed the snap coupler set up so it would roll on the wheels. I put 2xs underneath to prevent them from gouging the floor and new trailer deck. In another thread there was discussion about hoists. Here I'm using a chain fall anchored to the lift to pull in. Funny, just yesterday I saw Ian on Full Custom Garage do this very thing.That's 3 time in 6 months I've had to do this. Now considering an anchor on the back wall with a winch should work better.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 7:07am
Its starting to look better already!
Thanks for posting your progress!
 Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
dakotawc View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dakotawc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 7:15am
I've seen a couple like that over the years. How did they compare to a wd45 gas powerwise?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 8:34am
I was just a teen then but from my recollection, Dad wanted to pull the 3 bottom slat plow in 3rd gear which the WD45 struggled with. I remember right off the bat the transmission would pop out of third so that got fixed as well. My favorite time with it was plowing after dark and seeing the muffler glowing red.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 12:57pm
Rear wheels off and on the skates to spin 180 and to the right.

In position for tear down
My stepson says this is where the magic happens. He redid a Nova here and is where the 170 got an engine overhaul and new clutch.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 8:05pm
The magic area! Nice!
Looking good on the start of this project.
Regards,
 Chris
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 7:20am
     Will be interesting to see your progress. Keep the reports and pictures coming.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 8:06am
I would love a magic area, where I could wave a wand and it was fixed....
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 2:19pm
Oh shoot!  I thought that was those new style foldable fenders, so when you get in a tight spot, ya just fold em' in....  No?  Anyway, great project. Best thing is it was your Dad's. That's really great!!  If you need a special built wiring system for that when the time comes, let me know. I can work with ya on a new harness for the ole' girl......
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 3:07pm
Thank you Steve. Yes this harness is looking a little crusty and completely wrapped in electrical tape.
One thing I dislike about draining coolant is it can be such a messy process. I found a bit of copper tubing that I cut to fit the drain valve and routed to a bucket below.

Or maybe you guys already figured this out.
I was surprised how clean this coolant looked.

I also fabbed one to drain 7XXX's
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 7:41pm
That is a neat idea! thanks! Now to remember it!
Regards,
Chris
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 3:57pm
Dang... here, I saw that first picture, and was hopin' that by the time I got to the bottom of the thread, I'd see it with the tracks back on!  LOLLOL
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 4:00pm
Lol. Took me a while to figure that one out. Was there a conversion. Seen em on Fords
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 7:51pm
Teardown begins. Started with the head to assess cylinders.

Not good. But had little hope. Some of it is my fault as I had the plugs out for some time. Was pouring lubricants in there hoping to loosen this stuck engine. No luck. It was smoking pretty good last it ran so figured sleeves would need replacement.

Someone cut the fan shroud so I will need to repair that.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 8:03pm
There's a big dent in the bypass tube for the cooling system.

I'll just put it in the vise and tap a ⅝ rod through and push the dent out.

Ok what just happened?

That's not the rod.

Please tell me this is not someone's diabolical plan to restrict flow in the bypass. Unless someone has one, I guess I will try to braze this shut.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 8:16pm
Maybe who ever flattened the tube stuck that in there to keep from total crush?....but had it lodged and couldn't remove it?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 6:52am
Yeah, I don't know maybe. Would there be need to restrict flow there?. Anyway time to the rails and steering off to remove engine. I cut and drilled some 3" channel to support the torque tube once the rails are off. Had a devil of a time separating the frame from the steering box. I used pry bar at the end w/ pressure as I tapped(well, hammered) on the rail to get them apart. In hindsight maybe a large cold chisel would have been better as a wedge? Now to the steering shaft u-joint.
I could not steer this thing at all and figured moisture had gotten to the gear box.
Much easier to get to shaft pin. It's a solid pin not a roll pin and stuck good. Using a separator tool to drive out the with a series of nuts and bolts as drive pins.

Turns the gear box works fine. The u-joint is seized up. There is no grease zerk in it or the shaft support bushing.
Strokendiesel002 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 9:14am
Great progress so far! Sorry to see that someone sabotaged the bypass line, I really like the coolant drain tube, gonna have to borrow that idea!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 8:58am
More progress

Edited by plummerscarin - 10 Mar 2021 at 9:00am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 11:21pm
Engine out. Flywheel from a WD45D.

Cutch apart. I see stress cracks in the pressure plate and although there seems to be plenty of material on the clutch disc, I think it is saturated with oil. Way back when I was trying to pull start it I could tell the clutch was slipping. I know the rear seals were leaking cuz it was dripping out the inspection hole back when I was rolling it inside.

Needed a 3 jaw puller to remove plate from back engine

That flywheel is HEAVY!!
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 6:31am
Send that PP & clutch assy off to Rick. He'll take care of that puppy!
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Strokendiesel002 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 8:55am
Busy night! Great job!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 5:31am
Wow! You have been busy! Lots of parts and piece. Looks like everything needs touched. I am going to get popcorn!
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 6:51am
Everything needs attention yes. The price you pay for wear and tear and then leave it sit so long
I thought it might be a good idea to hang the steering box on a stand.

Engine on Dad's home built stand

Taking lots of pictures for reference later
Interesting timing mark. Unique to this engine? I do have a service manual
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 8:06pm
The ignition coil bracket is bolted the aluminum governor cover and yes a bolt broke off in the cover. Removed the cover to get to governor and it is crusty.
Looks like a cage bearing will need a close look.

I held a nut over the broken bolt and used a transfer puch try center punching the bolt. Reasonably to drill and use an easy out. The easy out was a fail so I welded a washer and nut to it.

That process has worked several times for me. But I was concerned initially because I didn't want to hurt the aluminum.
Dirt Farmer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirt Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 10:32pm
Have tried many ways of removing broken bolts but never thought of welding a washer to the broken bolt then a nut to the challenge or using a nut to help find the center to punch a starting point through. Goes to show you are never to old or experienced to learn something new. Thanks for the tips, good luck with the project and keep the pictures coming.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic