This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dad's 45 sputters...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by DougS DougS wrote:

Before you do anything with the timing, check the point gap. If the dwell is off three degrees, the timing will be off six degrees.

Is that true?

I didn't realize there was a direct correlation.
Sponsored Links

bhaynes View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhaynes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 2:07pm
Jaybird, 

That is exactly my scenario. I have my family's `48 WD. It sat for 2 years and I completely restored it, down to the block. New wiring harness, spark plugs, wires from magneto to plugs. New Magneto, Just lined the gas tank, new fuel line, bowl, etc... The carburetor needs to be replaced, but it has a new kit in it and is completely cleaned as well. 

It will run all day long, but just doesn't "sound" right to me. It sounds kind of like sputtering, but just rough. Not smooth at all. When it is idle, it sounds good to me. But under load / driving, it is rough sounding. 
bhaynes View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhaynes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 2:10pm
Mine is similar. How do you adjust a magneto while running? Or can you? :)
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 6:03am
You adjust a mag much the same as you would a distributor. Loosen both the top and bottom bolts that hold the mag to the governor housing and turn the mag. 

As said above, it's possible (in a distributor) that the advance weights aren't moving freely. If the tractor was running good before, the only way for the timing to be off is if someone manually moved it.

I suspect your rough run is a dirty carb. If you use gas with ethanol, it tends to clean things to the point where there are a lot of snall particles moving around that can plug up some of the small orifices it the carb. Try removing the carb abd spraying carb lceaner through all the passages, then follow with compressed air.
frnkeore View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frnkeore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 11:37am
Originally posted by Brian G.  NY Brian G. NY wrote:

Originally posted by DougS DougS wrote:

Before you do anything with the timing, check the point gap. If the dwell is off three degrees, the timing will be off six degrees.

Is that true?

I didn't realize there was a direct correlation.

The correlation is the position of the crankshaft, when the points, actually open.

W/o moving the distributor housing, if you close the gap, it will open the points sooner, advancing the the point, in which the coil fires.

This is the way I time my vehicles, after setting the points.

Frank
1959 D17 Series I #24001+, '59 D14
'55 & '59 Ford 850 & 861
Ferguson TO 35 Deluxe, Oliver 70 and 5 more.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 4:43pm
i keep wondering if the plug wires have been crossed. Easy to do
Buckyman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 7:58pm
Thank you very much ac fleet! All I had to do was loosen the clamps(on the distributor) and make almost a quarter turn clockwise and now it runs like a top!
bhaynes View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhaynes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 8:23pm
I don’t know how I can do that with a magneto? I can’t turn the magneto while it’s running. LOL it doesn’t work like that. How would I be able to adjust it?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic