This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D21 issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote druryD21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D21 issues
    Posted: 09 Sep 2013 at 8:03am
hello!
we pull with a D21 up here in Canada and seem to have a lot of issues trying to get this thing to be competitive. the tractor has a stock 426 , 450 roosa .93 lines CDS 4.21 injectors and a off the shelf s300 .88 housing, class rules are 3100 rpm 10500 weight and no speed limit. this tractor weight around 9500 with me on it . issue is we seem to always be last around the IH and deere guys, I don't need to be first just would like to make this allis competitive! my first question would be the cylinder head, is there a better head to run other than the old D21 head? what kind of supply pressure can I run to the injection pump ? timing? we seem to start strong then run out of steam but never get under the turbo while running in 6th gear. if we move to 5th we spin out any help would be much appreciate as we have been pulling our hair out with this allis for 2 years now. no one up here builds Allis's so info is few in far between
Sponsored Links

DarrylinWA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarrylinWA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2013 at 8:13am
What size tires to you run? I run 24.5x32 rears, but am going to switch to 20.8x38 on a wide rim. I think 20.8 tires would pull the best if on a super hard track.

Take care, Darryl
B 10 Custom. Serial # 1001 D21, First D21 built 69 #4498 and Last D 21 Built #4609. 1946 MM UTU. And 2000, 2005 Pete's. AC custom Hauling.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2013 at 6:29pm
If you never get under the turbo in 6th gear (9.5 MPH), I don't know why you'd think dropping to 5th gear (6.5 MPH) would be a good idea or get you any farther down the track.  You are probably at least 40 cubic inches smaller than your Red and Green competitors, and at 1 HP per cube, that's 40 HP. Cylinder head isn't your first concern.....more fuel ( hard to do with what you've got) and a better camshaft, (which would probably require notching piston tops) would be up pretty high on my list. I used to run an HX-50 Holset with the small exhaust housing with similar pump and injectors and that would be a step-up from an S-300. Also a 7060 OEM intercooler with ice water flowing thru it will help too.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2013 at 6:30pm
What have you done to your clutch/pressure plate ??????
druryD21 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote druryD21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2013 at 8:28pm
Sorry if I was being a little unclear lol , we run 20.8 38 field and roads at 20% if we run In 6th gear we snuff out around 250 on a good clay track , in fifth we spin out at 235 or so , as far as cam and cutting pistons that's no problem the guy that builds my tractor runs a very got 466 in his 1086 and can do Any machining we need .. Who would you recommend for cams? Or what specs on a cam? We are looking at doing the 200 psi feed on the pump over the winter and hopefully getting closer to 400 ccs of fuel
Thanks again guys!
Oh also we have a roush double disc springer clutch and needled rear diff so that should be good lol
druryD21 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote druryD21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2013 at 8:30pm
Also we can't run inter coolers unless it was factory !
Anyone you guys could recommend to do pump work?
7040 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2013 at 8:36pm
injpumped from this forum runs a supper strong ac 210
O.P.S. Heads View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2013 at 10:43pm
If you are running stock cubes and a Roosa pump against the red and the green you are fighting an uphill battle. Those are the facts. When you compete using an Allis you have to have everything your red and green competitor's have and then some. Your rules will dictate what you are able to do, but if you are serious about running with the others you need more cubic inches and a fuel system at least as good as what they have. Then you need a turbo that is better than what they have. Then when you get as good as they are, guess what they get better too. It can be done with an AC, but you will have to work for it.

If you post your class rules / limitations you will get some help from people on here.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2013 at 7:31am
Originally posted by 7040 7040 wrote:

injpumped from this forum runs a supper strong ac 210

thanks for the plug! To me it sounds like your pump is not all it could be. The injectors are a little short on size as well. My Roosa .450's lay down 400+cc, and I do NOT use a hi pressure external pump. I use a black Holley 815 pump at 15psi. My guess, is someone built you a .450 pump, and put everything in the stock D21 6 degree housing. pm me if need any help. Ed.
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Beirnesy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Beirnesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2013 at 8:49pm
Here is the link to the OTTPA mod farm class that the D-21 is pulling in.
 I hope they are accurate & up todate as there was an amalgamation of two pulling clubs this year, but this is what they have posted on there site.
http://www.ottpa.net/rulesmodfarm.html

Edited by Beirnesy - 10 Sep 2013 at 8:56pm
1969 220,1967 190DXT,1968 190DXT, LGT's 710,,716
O.P.S. Heads View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2013 at 9:32pm
After reading the rules it's even worse than I thought. If I read right an IH with a 466 C.I. engine can legally run a 15mm rotary pump and a 3 1/2 X 2 3/4 inlet turbo. A Deere with a 466 can run an inline pump which is able to produce 600 plus cc's of fuel and the same turbo. You are stuck with a Roosa pump which might produce 400 cc's at 2000 engine RPM which will not spin the same turbo that the others most definitely can. The only way it could get worse is if it's an open RPM class which reduces the output of your pump even further. I would have a sit down if you have a rules meeting this year and ask for the same pump your competitors get to use at least. Not even close to fair for your AC the way the rules are written.

Edited by O.P.S. Heads - 10 Sep 2013 at 9:33pm
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2013 at 9:35pm
Another stupid set of tractor pulling Rules written by stupid people who see to it any older tractor with a RoosaMaster pump is always at a disadvantage. Cube limits are fine......drawbars are all the same height/length.........tire sizes are the same......weight classes are established........turbos have limits......but the injection pump????....yeah well, you have to stick with stock appearing, because we want some tractors to be handi-capped. THE RULE SHOULD BE:   ANY TYPE/MODEL INJECTION PUMP ALLOWED EXCEPT BOSCH "P" PUMPS.....Oh no !!!  that would mean a 6030 Deere couldn't compete ???? that would sure be too bad !!!
KevinON View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 7:13am
I am the President of the OTTPA for the remainder of the year. There was talk in that class of allowing A pumps across the board, but the group voted it down. There is no way an AC can compete in that class. You must have the original cast head. It is a red/green or maybe blue class....
druryD21 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote druryD21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 7:32am
We aren't too worried about being first , as far as the rules they are what they are , we just like to go have fun if I'm within a few feet of the other colours that's okay, just out to have some fun . I could build I red one but then I'd be the same as everyone else, thanks guys
Larry W. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 8:30am
At the very least they should allow you to update to a ambac pump. After all it was used on the 8000 series tractors, had you gone to allis in the 80's and wanted to buy a new complete 426, thats basically what you would have had to order, they didn't make the old 426 parts anymore .
ACFarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 10:23am
Stick a big rotary on there off of a 8000 series. Just depends on how far you want to push the other guys. We have a guy in our class running a DT466 in his D21 with a letter of proof from AGCO saying its a factory replacement engine.
Making A living everyday farming with and working on Allis Equipment
XT in pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XT in pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 4:02pm

Red and green go figure  its always a chalange to build an allis and when you do good ppl change the rules to let the other pos tractors get the upperhand   it happened to me with my pump turned all the way up on the xt i could win a few then they said 3000 rpm and 466 engine ???  well i cant farm and pull the same tractor any more    i just pulled it last saturday and in the 11500 i was 218' winner was 330' ih   in 13500 i was 173' winner was 290' jd    now come on people this aint at all fair   ill stick with the 17 i guess.

Shawn
190XT,D17and 7045
KevinON View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 6:09pm
Even if the AC could run the Model 100 IH pump, it would be much better.
druryD21 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote druryD21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 6:51pm
Would be but at the same time if your within a few feet of the guys that have a rotary and p pump that's awesome . We do this for fun and the crowd always gets a kick out of this allis that's good for us I just wanted to be closer to the red and green guys
XT in pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XT in pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 6:55pm
To make rules like that some people must be a lil scared of what an Allis is capable of. I've seen that before. Haha.
190XT,D17and 7045
NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 11:59pm
How much money you willing to spend? I am in process of building out of field/hot farm puller and right now the head is getting massaged. After talking with Ed about fuel this is where I would start. My head magician is very confidant after putting in bigger valves and porting we will have 250 cubic feet per min. This is not a bad number compared to the red and greenies that flow 270 to 280 cfm with same work. If I were to ad block filler 280 to 300. I highly recommend bigger valves especially intake only 11% bigger than ex, should be 35%. Your ex manifold is pretty restrictive lots of meat on top of ports to grind off and shorten corners towards turbo, also noticed 7080 ports bigger than my 8050. Max of Simpson perf used to do this work not sure if he still does? He also would help with cam. If u are real crazy recast head for 11gs, the Canadian dollar is higher?! Another thing about Allis heads the valves are widely spaced so they get schrouded by cylinder walls so maybe bigger 4-3/4 bore = 540??? Just some ideas for ya good luck
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
Beirnesy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beirnesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 11:01am
This  is a video of the  D-21 (1:45 minute mark) and the class it pulls in.    Unfortunately its 50 ft behind the pack.    

Edited by Beirnesy - 15 Aug 2016 at 7:10pm
Beirnesy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beirnesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 5:22pm
As earlier mentioned it has a 450 roosa head, however would an ed built 450 pump improve this 21's performance,  or does everyone think this class is too far ahead of any Roosa fueled 426 Harvey to compete. . 

Edited by Beirnesy - 24 Aug 2016 at 5:31pm
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 5:44pm
MORE FUEL !!!   IF YOU HAD TWO OF THOSE PUMPS ON IT THERE MIGHT BE ENOUGH TO COMPETE. LOOKS LIKE 7TH GEAR NEEDS TO BE THE GOAL OR SURELY A 6 1/2 GEAR.
concretepumper View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concretepumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 8:21pm
I would definitely call Ed over at heritage diesel, he'll take care of you, he was able to get 380cc of fuel out of a 310 roosa for me on our 21, runs real hard, he had my injectors cut to 4-24 also, something else you can try is the roller rocker arms that Murphy's motor service sells, he designed and manufactures a 1:75 ratio rocker, kinda pricey at $550 but if u have to keep it stock appearing ever Lil bit helps, just check piston clearance, I think it made a difference, the engine rpms are a lot more crisp
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 7:50am
thanks again for the plugs guys! As I read this all I can think is how many .450 DB pumps I've fixed that were built by the big shops, and how little was actually done to it. Not all .450 roosa pumps are the same! You're paying for the knowledge and workmanship. But, that is not cheap! Especially crossing the northern border!
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
ACFarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 6:08pm
I wouldn't bother with a rosa in that class.
Making A living everyday farming with and working on Allis Equipment
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic