This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D19 Head installation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D19 Head installation
    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 5:54pm
This question is probably for Dr. Allis or other experienced Allis Machanics!
Reading through the Dealer service manual for the D19 tractor it mentions using special Kent-Moore  J -7891 head guide stud set to properly locate the gasket to the  cylinder block, or the newer J 21496 and J 21497 for the later gasket.
Do any of you guys use such things or can the gasket and head be replaced without them?  And, if necessary, where would a guy find these studs?
Head is now at the head shop for whatever servicing it needs.
Sponsored Links

Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 7:30pm
I've all ways used old head bolts or regular bolts with the heads cut off as guide studs. Just make sure they are still long enough that you can turn them out with a pliers once the heads on.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 10:25pm
There is two holes, one front and one back that is we smaller than the others for lining bolts. I use retractable pins for Gleaner combine for lining bolts.       MACk
Lynn Marshall View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Marshall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 6:54am
I have that tool. I haven't used it in years and don't know if I will ever have to use it again.
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 9:56am
Thanks for the clarification, guys.  I know a retired Allis mechanic in this area.  I'll see if he still has those studs or the equivalent.  He still does the occasional engine rebuild.

Edited by Alberta Phil - 17 Feb 2020 at 9:56am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 6:14pm
I had some old studs of the right size on my used parts and used those to line up the gasket and head.  Engine was very good shape except for valves.  I got new valves and springs from Sandy Lake and my local engine shop put the head all together with new exhaust inserts and seals.  They always do excellent work and I've been using them for years.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 6:19pm
Finished the tractor today including installation of a new alternator.  Kudos to Steve at B&B for helping me sort out the wiring.  All is working like it should now!!  Here is a couple of pics of the tractor.  It's a pretty nice unit, originally LP, now converted to gas.  Belongs to one of my neighbors who bought it new.
TedBuiskerN.IL. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TedBuiskerN.IL. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 7:18pm
May I ask why you converted it to gas?  I have a D19 LP, and a 190xt LP and I love'em. I think the 190 may be rare.
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of high explosives.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 9:37pm
I don't know why it was converted to gas.  I'll ask my customer when he comes by tomorrow to pick up the tractor.
I have a nice D17 LP with a factory loader and just love it the way it is.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 2:22pm
Ted, I asked my customer why they converted and he told me "years ago they had a large propane tank on the farm for heating.  Later, they had natural gas piped in as most do around here, and so they no longer needed the big tank.  All the other tractors and equipment on the farm was either gas or diesel and they had bulk tanks for both, so it was just for convenience that it was converted."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic