This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D19 gas clutch issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WD45Diesel57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D19 gas clutch issue
    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 7:41am
last night i went ahead and split my D19 to install freshly machined flywheel and pressure plate along with new 11" disc. I installed it on the tractor aligned it and torqued down the pressure plate and measured the fingers and they were all within spec at 1-3/16" so i rolled the tractor back together and tried the pedal and it barely reaches the clutch fingers. Now i should mention this is a diesel to gas conversion i had bought last year. iam swapping out the diesel flywheel to the gas one so the gas starter will work. Im just wondering if the throw out bearing assembly is entirely different too? any help is greatly appreciated
1-B's, 2-C, 2-CA's,2-WF, 1-WC,1-G, 3-WD's, 2-WD45, 1-RC, 1-D17 Diesel, 1-D14, 2-D15,1-D17 row crop,1-D19 gas and All Crop 40,60,66,72,90 and 100
Sponsored Links

MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 7:46am
Back the rod from pedal to clutch a few turns.       MACK
WD45Diesel57 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WD45Diesel57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by MACK MACK wrote:

Back the rod from pedal to clutch a few turns.       MACK

tried that didnt seem to make any difference
1-B's, 2-C, 2-CA's,2-WF, 1-WC,1-G, 3-WD's, 2-WD45, 1-RC, 1-D17 Diesel, 1-D14, 2-D15,1-D17 row crop,1-D19 gas and All Crop 40,60,66,72,90 and 100
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 12:27pm
Got to get the finger tips closer to the throwout bearing. Whatever it takes. Gas/diesel both the same.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 9:49pm
I have had to shim between flywheel and pressure plate to get fingers right.     MACK
Rick View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 2:19am
That's because the clutch disc is thicker than the original one and when you put it with the original pressure plate, it's too thick and throws the fingers down away from the throw out bearing. To make it work correctly, .100 thousandths has to be taken off that pressure plate and then that disc will work properly. It'll work every time...most don't know this...I can elaborate more, but this is what needs done from the beginning. Shimming it to make it work is also an option. I suggest NOT to take anything more off the flywheel though and adjusting the screws on the ends of the fingers will work, IF you don't run out of adjustment first. Rick

Edited by Rick - 02 Apr 2020 at 2:21am
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 7:26am
A .030" shim at each pressure plate mounting bolt will change the finger tip about .090" if I remember right. The D-17 and D-19 had a pretty limited stroke on the throwout bearing. When the 190's came out, they changed the design and had at least 50% more adjustment stroke so this wouldn't be an issue. You want to wind up with the clutch disengaging very near the bottom of the clutch pedal stroke. This will then allow many more years of service life before you have to split it again for a clutch. if you only have 2 inches of pedal free-play when you get done with a new clutch, it won't be very long and that 2 inches is GONE and you're splitting it again because the clutch is slipping or the throwout brg has failed from spinning all the time.
WD45Diesel57 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WD45Diesel57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 7:38am
thanks guys for your help, did a bunch of fooling around with it last night. i split it again just to varify i had all the adjustments correct, i ended up putting the old pressure plate back in and was happier with the finger height. i rolled it back together and now i have more clutch action at the bottom of the stroke in the last 4-5 inches. like you said Dr Allis it disengages at near the bottom of the stroke thanks for all your help on this matter
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic