This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D19 D Headbolts?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in il Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D19 D Headbolts?
    Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 12:26am
Does anyone know if ARP or some other source has head bolts for the D19 D? Part # would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links

Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 12:29am
ARP can supply them, but you have to know the size and length of the bolts.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Bob(FL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob(FL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 8:34am
this is what someone sent me when he did the head bolts on his d19 diesel, got them from arp.

Qty                      Part number                  Description

16                        AR6.500-1LB               STUD ½ X6.5 LONG BROACHED

2                          AR7.000-1LB               STUD 1/2X7.0 LONG BROACHED

2                          AR8.000-1LB               STUD 1/2X8.0 LONG BROACHED

20                        ARN34                          1/2X20 HEX NUT HEAD MAIN

20                        ARW78N                       ½ ID 7/8 OD H&M WASHER

TOTAL COST IS 169.81 PLUS TAX AND FREIGHT

AUTOMOTIVE RACING PRODUCTS 1-800-826-3045

nowaktj View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nowaktj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 4:44pm

I'm looking to buy mine from Cat.  These would be Grade 8 bolts and hardened washers

Here are the numbers and qtys I came up with:
(10) 7x0331 (4.25" long)
(8)   7x0335 (5.25" long)
(2)   7x3190 (6.75" long)
(20)  5P1076 Washers

I think these can all be had for less than $50.  What does it mean on the ARP ones that they are "broached"?

Thanks,
Terry
D19D, D17D, WD, WC, Snobee, #83 Plow, SC Blade, 14' disk, 400 series planter, B , Terra Tiger, M Dozer w/Baker Blade, TL-12, 42S Grader, G
skipwelte View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skipwelte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 4:49pm
Look at the recommended torque spec for a grade 8 bolt.  If I remember correctly the D19 head bolt torque is real close to the yeild torque of a grade 8.  I used grade 8s on my D19 D and wasnt real happy with them.  HTH
nowaktj View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nowaktj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 6:48pm
Wow...you are right.  Cat's normal recommended torque on 1/2 in bolts is 77 ft lbs and their special high torque is 100 ft-lbs.  Hmmmm...I am going to have to return these bolts.  The Allis spec is 120 ft-lbs.

The practice at Cat is not to lubricate these threads.  Is that how you guys do it?

Thanks
Terry
D19D, D17D, WD, WC, Snobee, #83 Plow, SC Blade, 14' disk, 400 series planter, B , Terra Tiger, M Dozer w/Baker Blade, TL-12, 42S Grader, G
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 7:41pm
My neighbour used ARP head bolts in his D-19D at my insistance. Took ARP three times to get it right.  I'm sure an ARP is more than twice as strong as a Grade 8
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
D-17_Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-17_Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 9:27pm
I recall someone saying they recomended replacing the head bolts with studs. Might be food for thought as it got ride of the thread problems in the block.
Dave in il View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in il Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 10:17pm
Thanks guys. Has anyone bought or priced them through AGCO lately? Last time I did it was over $200 and that was several years ago. I guess I should have ponied up back then and I might not have a blown head gasket today. LOL
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 12:57am

I just talked to Bill at Sandy Lake and OEM bolts are $25 ea. He said he knew of a customer that had just used ordinary grade 8 bolts but never heard either way how it turned out. Then we talked about the metalurgy involved and the possibility of streching under heat.

If anybody was watching Power Block on Spike TV last weekend they were demonstrating the clamping force with a stress gauge and the effects of various lubes available. Motor oil to moly lube to "peanut butter" that Top Fueler's use on engines that make one run and get torn down. It was interesting that the "peanut butter" (not the kind you put on your sandwich) allowed maximum clamping force with one tightening cycle. Repeated torquing allowed enough strain on the ARP stud they were using to strip the threads before reaching specified torque.
Bob, thanks for posting the ARP numbers. I'm going to call them in the morning and get a set for my 262. I was expecting them to be much higher. A set of studs for a 6.0L Ford was over $500 a couple years ago.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 1:24pm
I ordered the numbers in Bob's list. Looks like the price has jumped a little. It cost about $208 + shipping. Still less than half of AGCO replacements and probably superior quality to boot.
ac45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 1:41pm
id go with studs i think,  Imnot an ac mechanic, but on most high performance engines where head gasket sealing is maxed out studs are used, sounds like it would fit right in with the buda diesel head sealing issues, It looks like Allis's high torque spec was a band aid for sealing issues
KY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 3:18pm
I would not use a grade 8. Use the correct bolts.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 3:56pm
That test they did and the big difference in clamping force with the same torque setting makes using the special lube ARP has mandatory as far as I'm concerned.
Dave in il View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in il Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 4:42pm
Grade 8 bolts aren't good enough, the originals are harder than that and by the second time the head was off they were stretched and should have been replaced.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 3:52pm
What about grade 12?        Leon
Chad (MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chad (MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 4:08pm
Pfouts sell the ARP stud kit for the D17-D19 diesels
220 3-190XT 2-D19d D19g 5-D17 UC 3-WC 2-WD 3-WD45 CA C H3 7-AllCrops 14-plows 3-Gleaners Lawnmowers SC-equipment
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 5:06pm
You guys can use Grade 100 bolts and it'll still blow a head gasket if the sleeves are sunk below flush on the deck.
jeickman01 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeickman01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 4:40pm
Didn't the D19 have a well known problem with the liners sinking in the block?  Worked for the green outfit as a service rep.  Checking liner protrusion was part of every head off repair even if it wasn't for a head gasket failure.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 5:46pm
YES. Terrible problem on the deezels and the gassers (same sleeves/block) never bothered.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic