This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D17D Ignition Switch trouble?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayD-17(NY) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D17D Ignition Switch trouble?
    Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 3:59pm
I went to fire up the D17D this morning and it whirled right over a few times then everything went suddenly dead. This has done this to me on and off for the past year but I usually just play with the key and it works again. This time I had no luck, so I got off the tractor and tried jumping it by touching the solenoid terminals with a screw driver but nothing happened - I just got a faint spark off the end of the screw driver. I ended up having to tow the tractor. Once running, I noticed the Amp gauge was not showing a charge, it did show a discharge when I turned the lights on. I got out my test light and could clearly see the generator was indeed still charging the battery even though Amp gauge said otherwise. I know I have juice going down into the Solenoid from the Battery too. I have yet to remove all the side panels under the tank and investigate behind the instrument panel. Does it sound like the ignition switch is the culprit or the solenoid? If its the switch, can you still get the orginal style key? Also, I noticed, the manifold heater stopped working now too and It always worked before. There is juice going into the heater solenoid but none coming out when I push the button....could this have anything to do with the starting problem? Could a short here effect everything else?
Sponsored Links

Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 4:14pm

Could be a broken wire. Just going to have to get behind the panel and see what's wrong. Steiner Tractor Parts has the original style switch and keys or the newer type like a riding mower uses. A test light is not a very good test to verify if the generator is working. Put a volt meter across the batteries and see what the voltage is with the engine running at 1/2 throttle or faster. If you have an owners manual or a I&T manual, they have a wiring schematic that's pretty easy to follow. Seems like there is a fuse holder on the panel.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 6:07pm
You might want to check your voltage regulator first.  Just had this happen on my 17 IV.  The generator was working, but not charging the battery.
As far as switch availability goes, if you have the newer style Indak key (small key), they are still available through AGCO for a decent price.  The older style ignition switch can be found through some of the vendors on this site.  Personally, I get mine out of scrapped combines like Es, Fs, and Ks (once that have a cab).  They tend to have lots of life left in them.
1946WP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1946WP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2010 at 9:02am
I had a new btry cable on my wd45 that was loose where it clamped on the wire looked good but was not making good contact. replaced cable & problem solved.
Matt MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2010 at 9:36am
Sounds like dirty or loose conections somewhere. Start at the battery and work your way towards the solonoids cleaning and tighting the connections.
Unless your are the lead horse the scenery never changes!!
TomMN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2010 at 10:07am
Our car did that for a while, the problem was the battery itself.  I think there must have been an internal crack in a main connection in the battery.  Replaced the battery and all is well.
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2010 at 12:30pm
If the battery is good with a good charge and you only get a weak spark jumping the selonoid then you have a bad connection from the battery or a bad ground.  Check those connections if the battery is good.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
JayD-17(NY) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayD-17(NY) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2010 at 2:28pm
Thanks for all the suggestions.I'll recheck my connections again, but I saw no loose or broken wires anywhere. I tried the lights again and today they came on weak and then not all all, at 1st I thought whatever is causing the tractor not to turn over must have drained the batteries dead but I got out my test meter and they were at full charge ....I towed the tractor to start it and tried the lights again and they came on bright as can be....Whatever is causing this ....A) Does not allow the lights to come on when the tractor is not running. B) Doesnt allow the ammeter to show a charge even though the generator is working and C) The main problem , wont allow the starter and or solenoid to work.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic