This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D17 PTO shaft seals

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D17 PTO shaft seals
    Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 10:45pm
I have the Power Director out of my 1959 D17 to do a small repair on it.  I am considering replacing the seals on the PTO shaft between the Power Director case and the transmission case.  I believe there may be two of them back to back.  What I need to know is if they are installed from and removed into the Power Director case area.  Also, are they a hassle to remove?

Any information/ suggestions anyone can give me would be appreciated.
Thanks,  Jerry M
Sponsored Links

KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 11:28pm
Yes there are 2 seals on PTO shaft. 1 faces each direction, replace facing same as ones removed. Easiest for me is to remove PTO shaft from rear of tractor, 3 bolts hold it. I believe an O ring seals to case, IF seal appears to seep it's a good time to replace.  A slide hammer with a small J hook works very good as a remover. Or put a couple large sheet metal screws into seal and use prybar on them to remove. While the PD is out you may want to replace the transmission input shaft seal also. 
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 1:36am
and put in new seals on PTO lever as well as the PD lever.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 6:28am
Good time to replace the engine clutch pedal pivot.
http://lonsallischalmers.com
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 5:35pm
I have my D17 apart for that reason right now.  The seals gave out and moved all the oil from the transmission into the hydraulics.  I put new seals in last week.  They can be a bear to get out, but you gotta do it.  At the same time, I went through the power director.  Clutch plates were in good shape but was shimmed incorrectly.  I will replace the PTO lever O ring this weekend and start putting it back together.

'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
JerryM View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 1:57pm
Thanks for the info.  I plan to replace the transmission seals if I do the PTO seals.  Do those seals need a sealant on the outside of them or are they pressed in tight enough to seal ok?  Or do they have a seal coating on them?.

I like to drain gear boxes hot and stirred up.  That way most of the metal from wear will suspend in the oil and drain out, hopefully.  Do you know of a way to stir up the transmission oil before I drain it?  Maybe put an air line into the transmission fill and blow some air into it (slowly).

Do you put sealant on the big gasket between the PD case and the transmission?
JerryM View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 2:03pm
Yes, I already did that.  Thanks.
JerryM View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 2:18pm
Dseries4
While you have it apart, take a good look at the small rollers that engage the pressure plates.  One of mine broke.  Both of the little shafts on the side of the rollers broke off over 30 years after I did a complete rebuild.
JerryM View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 2:23pm
Lon(MN),
What is involved in replacing the pivot?  Is it just pressed in?  Does it have a seal on it?  How hard is it to get out?
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by JerryM JerryM wrote:

Dseries4
While you have it apart, take a good look at the small rollers that engage the pressure plates.  One of mine broke.  Both of the little shafts on the side of the rollers broke off over 30 years after I did a complete rebuild.

I already did that.  The rollers were good.  I had one a few years ago where the rollers got flat spots on them.  2 Years ago when I restored my neighbor's D15 I found 2 of the ears had broken off and were sitting in the bottom of the torque tube.  Fortunately I had a spare one for parts.

Edited by DSeries4 - 02 Feb 2023 at 3:33pm
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 3:41pm
 Don't remember where, but I've seen drain plugs that had a magnet built into them.
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 5:50pm
When driving in the first PTO seal, pack the inside of the seal with grease so the spring doesn't get dislodged when you drive it into place !!!!
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 8:22pm
I made a driver that fits in both seals that keeps spring in place.                         MACK
JerryM View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 10:45pm
Mack
Do those seals need a sealer on their perimeter?  Also, do you put sealant on the big gasket between the PD case and the transmission?    Jerry
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 6:33am
Originally posted by JerryM JerryM wrote:

Lon(MN),
What is involved in replacing the pivot?  Is it just pressed in?  Does it have a seal on it?  How hard is it to get out?
I drove the old one out with a hammer and punch. Installing the new one gets tricky with the ball and spring for the detent.
http://lonsallischalmers.com
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 9:02am
No, the seals don't need a sealer but gasket does.                          MACK
JerryM View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 1:24pm
Mack,
Thank you.
 Jerry
JerryM View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 1:30pm
DrAllis,
Thank you.
Jerry
JerryM View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 1:33pm
Lon(MN),
Thank you.
JerryM
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic