This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D-17 IV Weights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote housemover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D-17 IV Weights
    Posted: 29 May 2016 at 12:32am
I've owned the last D-17 built in 1966 now for several years. In the ongoing process of restoring it I'm thinking about draining the calcium from the tire's and replaceing it with a set of factory weights. Upon doing the math I see that it will take 2 full sets of D-17 factory weights to replace the fluid weight! Has any one out there ever double stacked the factory 4 piece D-17 weights. On the bench they appear to be shaped just right to do this. But I can't remember ever seeing it on a tractor. Have seen it done a lot with the older F&H weights used on the WD45 & early D-17. Mine would be the same weights that were used on the D-17IV pictured in the 2016 Allis Connection Calender on the March page. At 80# each the 4 weigh in at 320# total & the calcium fluid weight is 588#. The little D-17 has plenty of tork to slip
the 14.9-28 long bar-short bar (part or the problem} rears with the 588# of fluid in them!!!

7h
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 7:10am
Impossible to replicate the weight fluid provides and not have weights sticking out where they grab fence posts.
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 9:08am
Those are pretty skinny tires for a series IV.  Both of mine have 16.9s.  My diesel had bald 18.4s when I got it.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
housemover View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote housemover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 12:09am
Thanks guys I agree with the clearance problem on double stacking! Have been wondering about this new Rim Guard product? Cost,Avalibility,Side effects etc. Has any one used it out there? As for the tire size that's what she came with in 1966 as did 90% of the D-17 tractors I've seen in the Central U.S. Maybe they were fitted differently for different soils in other areas. Saw a tractor with 16.9-28 rears (set up with a loader) in Wichita, Ks once and remember really liking the looks of it! Suppose it was to get more fluid for weight (traction) when using the loader?   My question still remains has any one tried double stacking on the tractor & what type of bolts did you use?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 6:36am
I'm told RimGuard is somewhat expensive. RV antifreeze is more affordable but doesn't weigh 10 pounds per gallon like calcium does. Maybe a combo of RV antifreeze and one set of weights will get you where you need to be. I can count on one hand how many D-17's I've ever seen with 14.9 x 28's. Around here they all had 16.9 x 28's and a fair amount of them pulled 4 bottom plows. Most WD-45's around here had 14.9 x 28's so it would only make sense the newer bigger tractor had more rubber on it.
alleyyooper View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alleyyooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 7:18am
Yes rim guard is expensive In terms of getting it and having it installed. Chloride is cheaper in the short term, but when after many years you have a big huge rotted out hole where the valve stem is. You have to pay some one to pump that crap out and fix the rim it works out including the down time rim guard isn't so awful expensive after all.

My D 17 also has 14.9 28's

Al
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 7:29am
But, put in perspective, I don't think any of those rear wheels/rims had an issue when the tractor was 20 years old, did they ?? And probably not when they were 30 years old either. Bottom line is this, if the owner of the tractor replaced valve stem valves when/or before they started seeping, the rims would never have rotted away. When the tractors were used regularly and rear rubber was worn out and replaced with new tires & tubes every 10 years or so, there wasn't a problem. A friend of mine just replaced rear rims on a D-17 series 4 for the first time, so that makes them just 50 years old. Are some of these tractors still going to be around in another 50 years??????????
Stan R View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 11:53am
My father has a D17 IV, original rims, 1964 vintage, no rust, rear tires are loaded with calcium. Had more than one flat with it but fixed it promptly.

Edited by Stan R - 30 May 2016 at 11:54am
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 12:12pm
Question will weights fit on inside of wheel. Some tractors you put weights on ethier side. I have a 14 but no weights.
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 1:10pm
What do you plan on doing with the tractor to need all the weight? I have a d17 serries 1 with 16.9x28 rear tires with a set of pie weights so they are 300 lbs per side and we used that to pull a 4 bottom plow here without trouble our soil is not clay but we also used it to pack down a bunker silo for years and it didn't an amazing job. I don't think i would really want more weight on it just because it would compact the soil more with no real benefits as far as the work I do. If I where you I would put on a single set of weights leave the tires just air and see what you get. I will say maybe the 16.9 tires have heavier weights and maybe that is a good reason to try and find a pair but I think the pie weights are hard to find.
Allis180gas View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis180gas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 2:29pm
we have a series 3 D17 with wide rims and 16.9 by 28 makes the tires look like 18.4.
Allis180gas View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis180gas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 2:30pm
This is the tractor
housemover View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote housemover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 4:47pm
Thanks Guys! There's something special about discussion with people who think ORANGE. 1st Dr. Allis I agree with you when thinking in terms of the years but more & more the younger groups are not thinking in terms of fluid in tires. And it's getting harder & harder to find a place with a service truck with a pump on it. That being said I think I like the idea of the combination of RV Anti-freeze & pie weights. Oh,& as for the next 50 years? Of course it says Allis on the hood silly boy! Just think of how fast the last 50 went by. 2nd wfmurry I've never seen a set of inside weights on a tractor that has a final drive axle, maybe someone else could correct me if I'm wrong. 3rd Dan73 The tractor seems to spin very easily. I pull a 7", 3-Point, brush hog mower with it and if on a turn the side of the mower hits a small high spot the tractor will spin out & dig a hole with the out side tire every time! My D-15 never does (on the same mower)! Also the D-15 spins less with it's 2 bottom mounted plow than the D-17 does with it's 3 bottom mounted plow in the same fields. Witch brings me back to you Dr. Allis in my books a D-19 was made for 4 bottom plows if you want to take care of the tractor over the long haul! Last but not least Mr. Allis180gas on your last post you said "This is the tractor" but the picture didn't come through. Would like to see the tractor with that tire set up on it very much. Thanks Guys P.S.S. I value your opinions very much!
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 5:02pm
The spinning out seems weird to me. I have put up alot of square bales with my d17 and never had trouble with it spinning out unless it has a tire with about 20% life left. Then that side will slip a little but I just touch the break and she will walk away have to love those independent brakes. I wonder if the smaller tires are part of your spinning issue if having the narrower tire you just have too much torque for the amount of contact size on the ground? The other question would be how much air pressure do you keep in the tires I was always told to keep them soft as long as they don't sag they are good they don't want to have more then a few pounds of pressure I normally keep my rears about 10 psi. Just enough to hold the tires up but keep them soft enough the squat and pull. I was always told that gives you better traction.   Don't know if it is true or not but it is how we always ran them since I was a kid and the d17 has the same four tires on it it has had for probably 30 years. Yes one is in need of replacing because it doesn't have much tread. I haul a NH 565 baler with a 15 bale accumulator behind it up and down some really step hills and the only time I get in trouble with it slipping is on the part that is so step I don't even think I should be there in the first place. Just weird because they are about the same tractor.

Edited by Dan73 - 30 May 2016 at 5:04pm
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 5:54pm
Oh I forgot to mention that antifreeze is something I would avoid. It is considered toxic here and the local tire shop will not touch a tire that is filled with it. If you do fill them with it and then they work with the tire because you forget to tell then you get a really nasty bill for contamination of their system.   So I would check around before using antifreeze
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by wfmurray wfmurray wrote:

Question will weights fit on inside of wheel. Some tractors you put weights on ethier side. I have a 14 but no weights.

No room for them with the final drives there!
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
alleyyooper View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alleyyooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 5:46am
RV antifreeze isn't toxic, stuff is made to winterize the water system in RV's then when spring comes flush and fill with water for cooking drinking and bathing.

Al
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 7:02am
Just repeating what I was told the shop here considers it toxic. They won't touch a tire filled with it. So before going that route I would just say check to see if it will be a problem locally if you get a flat or need someone else to work on the tire. Like the tractors most of us are at the point where over the next 10 to 20 years we will need a little help along the way. Better to not make choices that makes getting that help harder.
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 7:17am
http://mainecamperdealer.com/what-you-need-to-know-about-rv-anti-freeze/
Being that I live on the Maine state line I am willing to bet the issue the local shop has is that there are 3 different products sold as rv antifreeze and two of them contain alcohol which makes them flammable.   The other interesting fact in that writeup is that the alcohol will dry out the rubber. So basically unless you know for sure you got the right rv antifreeze product you would be trading rim damage 20 or more years out for tube and tire damage and given the volume it takes to fill a tire I would think it would have plenty of chance of damaging the rubber and shorten the life of your tire which is very expensive.   
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 10:30am
RIM GUARD was being introduced as I was leaving the tire business. The meeting I attended we were told it could not be mixed with calcium. According to them, it is almost impossiable to pump when to gets very cold. Some one post back on that as I would like to hear from someone that has 1st hand knowledge. We would have had to purchase another service truck and complete system, storage tank, etc to handle it as a result we decided to stay with Cal. My d17 has had cal in it since new, last year they were made, I did have 1 rim worked on 12 years ago when the new rears were put on, did not really need it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic