This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D17 for brushhog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Driverdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D17 for brushhog
    Posted: 09 May 2021 at 11:30am
I have a series1 D17 (gas) that I would like to use for brushhogging (instead of my green thing). I have a couple questions...(1) I assume it should handle a 6foot brushhog ok since I pull a 303 baler with thrower and a wagon ?? (2) Neighbor says I need an overrunning clutch ?? True ?? (I don't use one on the green thing) (3) Anybody have recommendations on a supplier for a 3 point conversion ?? What is the ease of installation ?? Thanks for any/all ideas and thoughts!! Dan
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 12:39pm
couple of vendors on this site........ both would be glad to  explain the installation process if you need... more or less a bolt on item.

http://oktractor.com/zen/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_23_824_825

Edited by steve(ill) - 09 May 2021 at 12:49pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 12:46pm
the purpose of an overrunning clutch is two fold.. If you hit something and the blade STOPS quickly, you dont tear up the PTO shaft of the tractor.. Also when you want to stop the tractor and push it the clutch, the BUSHHOG will continue to spin for a short period of time and will PUSH the tractor forward.... with the overrunning clutch, the mower spins and slows down while you are setting still.........

its a "GOOD IDEA" for any tractor.. it is not a necessity to make the tractor function.
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 1:10pm
I don't think an ORC will provide protection if the cutter hits something, at least as I understand an ORC, based on the ones I've used. As long as the PTO is engaged the ORC is going to try to turn the driveline to the cutter any time it is going slower than the tractor PTO speed (it is a one way clutch, it only locks up when the PTO is going faster than the cutter driveline).  If you hit something with the blades, and it stops the blades, that is where a slip clutch or shear bolt provides protection to the drive line.  You should have an ORC on the tractor's PTO shaft, to prevent the cutter's inertia from pushing the tractor, when you push the clutch.  And you should have a shear bolt, or better a slip clutch, on the cutter's gear box input shaft to protect the tractor's pto and cutter drive line/gearbox from shock loads when something is hit stopping the blades suddenly.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 1:36pm
Slip clutch, and use the PD to come to a stop, with the blades still turning...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 4:45pm
Your right Jim... the shear bolt protects the PTO shaft... my bad !
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 6:09pm
My "Bush Hog" has a slip clutch. At the beginning of each season,  I loosen the plates, run through some heavy  weeds until the clutch slips freely and then tighten the nuts back down. I use an overrunning clutch as well...saves a little wear and tear and makes for a little easier gear shifting as well.
wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 8:15pm
We used to pull a 15’ batwing with our D17 IV clipping pastures. It handled it fine. I wouldn’t want to try to mow by the creek where cows haven’t been. That will make the 8010 talk.

As far as an overrunning clutch, if your used to stopping with the hand clutch it’s not necessary. But if your used to stopping with the foot clutch, it might be a good idea. You don’t want to end up through the fence and down in the creek
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 8:23pm
I use a 6’ cuttef on mine with and without an overrunning clutch. Works and pulls just fine.
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
Driverdan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Driverdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 8:48pm
Thanks for all the responses, I appreciate the info.Guess I may skip the ORC, since I didn't seem to need one on the Deere.I appreciate your knowledge.. Dan
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 8:51pm
I definitely recommend an over running clutch!

'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by DSeries4 DSeries4 wrote:

I definitely recommend an over running clutch!

I agree with DSeries4. If I’m doing a lot of cutting I definitely have an over-running clutch. Only use without when I know the ground and my brush hog also has a shear pin.
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
Walter(MO) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walter(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 10:21pm
Using an AC rotary cutter does not require an ORC.  The AC cutter has  a built in ORC right behind the slip clutch.  Two pins pull the cutter and when you use the foot clutch you will hear a clicking sound and the pins are over riding the motion.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 11:09pm
Bush hog with a WD45  over 40 yrs with no ORC without issue. I only use the hand clutch except to engage PTO. Never use foot clutch to change trans gears. It doesn't rip or grind if your motion has stopped. As stated,if you use the foot clutch to do your stopping/starting,shifting gears....you may want an ORC but it's  not needed when using the hand clutch (2 spd PD on 17).

Edited by SteveM C/IL - 09 May 2021 at 11:09pm
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 6:36pm
I run both D17's on my 12' flail cutter in corn stalks each fall. Cut about 10 - 12 acres with each. Gets them warmed up good before winter. The renter and his son ( few times I've baled them ) roll them up for stock cows. 
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 8:07am
When I cut in cooler temps in winter (35 to even 60 degrees) with a heavy 6' unit on either the D17IV or one of the D15's, always warm up the oil before getting near trees or fence lines where I want to get real close.
Cold fluid will allow the unit to "push", even if you throw the PD into neutral without an ORC.
If you go with an ORC, make sure you measure the telescoping distance on the pto shaft halves after mounting the ORC so you have enough distance to prevent binding if running in uneven areas or crossing ditches, on any tractor used.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 8:21am
The 2 speed PD is less forgiving when it comes to free when released compared to the hand clutch on a 45.
Driverdan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Driverdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 9:42am
Great bunch of info to mull over on this.Thanks for all the ideas!! Dan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic